Talk

Advanced search

Gestational diabetes results

(12 Posts)
bananaramama Tue 12-Dec-17 22:05:55

How long does it normally take for the results to come back from the glucose challenge test?

KitKatCHA Tue 12-Dec-17 22:08:19

A couple of days for all mine

bananaramama Tue 12-Dec-17 22:13:24

Oh wow. I chased my midwife for mine a week later only to be told no news was good news. Then four weeks later I've just received a letter in the post saying it was a raised level and I had to go back for a GTT next week!!!

Rebeccaslicker Wed 13-Dec-17 10:45:09

Urgh poor you. I was going away just after mine so I rang them all day for the result - it took HOURS to get through!

I had failed it, so I ended up paying for the full test privately as I didn't want to be away for 2 weeks and be eating the wrong things. I got that result the very next morning. You could try that, if it's an option?

bananaramama Wed 13-Dec-17 11:20:37

I been on hold to them all morning and of course no one is picking up... I've emailed them for a change of appointment as apparently that is the best way of contacting them.

I'm going to see if I can get the test done privately and therefore sooner but in the meantime will change my diet in case I do have GD!
It's just so frustrating.
I eat pretty healthily and the only sugar I consume in large amounts is fruit sugar (total fruit fiend right now) but I'm really quite paranoid that I've hurt my baby.

InappropriateUsername Wed 13-Dec-17 16:44:01

Don't stress, your baby will be fine especially if you change your diet. I have glucose intolerance so on the GD diet, I can only have orchard fruits at certain times of day & not puréed as that raises your glucose much quicker but essentially remember you are not doing anything wrong, your body/hormones may be reacting a certain way and that's that. Good luck xx

bananaramama Thu 14-Dec-17 17:27:35

Thank you xx fingers crossed it won't be so bad once I have the GTT done!

User45632874 Thu 14-Dec-17 17:46:17

Watching this thread with interest - I have a test for this on Monday morning...
Any ladies been diagnosed with this, if so, what sort of diet is recommended?

laurzj82 Thu 14-Dec-17 18:01:46

Don't panic. I had quite severe GDD which required diet change, medication and insulin and had a happy, healthy 6lb 13 baby.

I changed my mobile number and my new number didn't get passed on by the receptionist so I didn't find out until 2 weeks later; they did try and contact me the very next day apparently. My sugar levels were crazy high though.

I was told a healthy, balanced diet. No more than 60 g of carbs per meal. Plenty of protein. Breakfast was problematic. No matter what I ate, I couldn't get my levels down so had to eat breakfast in two smaller portions spaced apart.

Feel free to message me if you want to ask anything. Good luck!

InappropriateUsername Thu 14-Dec-17 18:16:25

The diet is tailored for each person so do not follow a diet from the internet and wait until you have met a nutrionist. Splitting breakfast is not recommended at all stages of pregnancy as it can be harmful to baby so it depends how many weeks you are. If you develop it you will test your glucose levels to work out what works for your body, for example my bloods go higher with grapes than chocolate on this pregnancy but on my last pregnancy it was the other way round so your own body changes pregnancy to pregnancy and often week to week within the same pregnancy. Do not reduce carbs unless advised by professional but picking the right ones and balancing with protein and vegetables will help.

bananaramama Fri 15-Dec-17 13:32:04

laurzj82, Inappropriate Thanks for your advice.

Managed to get an appointment this morning so I'll be calling tomorrow pestering them for my results!!

It's so interesting how your body changes from pregnancy to pregnancy and reacts so differently. I'm hoping that my body deals with chocolate better than grapes!! haha!

User45632874 Fri 15-Dec-17 16:23:47

yes, thanks for your advice x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now