Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

To ski or not to ski

(29 Posts)
Cakelaur Sun 10-Dec-17 21:53:49

We have our annual family ski trip in Jan. I will be 8 weeks by then. Is it safe to snowboard? Or should I just skip it to be on the safe side?

lljkk Sun 10-Dec-17 21:57:30

I would go, if I was good enough to rarely fall (I used to be that good at skiing but never got that good at boarding).
You have to live with your decisions.
Most women would blame themselves and assume that one small fall on the slope even if weeks or months earlier was the reason why anything went wrong later, you have to live with that chance.

Enb76 Sun 10-Dec-17 21:58:38

I skied at 3 months but didn't know I was pregnant. I think if I had known I wouldn't have done it but ignorance was bliss.

BuggertheTabloids Sun 10-Dec-17 22:03:24

Personally I wouldn't - I didn't ski with either of mine. Everyone said I could so long as I didn't do silly stuff, but I was more concerned about the risk of people going into me rather than falling myself, I just didn't want to take the risk. We already had a trip booked the first time and I did a lot of snowshoeing instead, went on trips off the beaten track and quite enjoyed it much to my surprise!

blackdoggotmytongue Sun 10-Dec-17 22:13:56

I live in a ski resort. My obstetrician essentially said there was virtually no risk at all until the uterus left the protective shelter of the pelvis (ie when it is big enough) - she basically said in order to damage a foetus up to about 14 weeks, you would have to seriously fuck yourself up in an accident for it to affect the pregnancy.
I skied. I did have a fall. A giant superman-style popping out of my skis and flying horizontally through the air landing flat on my my stomach fall at about 12 weeks. I was completely fine. I picked myself up and laughed, but felt a bit sick about how easy it had been (I’m a competent skier - I just hit unexpected powder in bad visibility and my skis literally stopped, with momentum carrying me forwards - it was extremely funny to watch - less amusing for a pregnant woman to experience.)
My dd was born with brain damage. It’s unlikely to be anything to do with my ridiculously ordinary ski fall. But guilt at potentially endangering her in that manner is part and parcel of having a child with a disability.
At 8 weeks, i’d Probably risk it. 12? Nope. Not any more.

SockQueen Sun 10-Dec-17 23:08:41

I went on a group ski trip at 15 weeks but didn't ski. I'm not good enough to be confident of not falling, and even if you're a brilliant skier/boarder there's still the chance of getting crashed into by someone else. I knew the chances were small but it wasn't a risk I was willing to take - others have done it and been fine! Some resorts will sell you a "walkers' lift pass" which is much cheaper and usually gives you access to the gondolas only, so you can get around the resort a bit. I spent most of the week drinking hot chocolate and reading outside various mountain-top cafes, it was lovely!

CL1982 Sun 10-Dec-17 23:13:20

If you're a good boarder I think you will be ok. I would ski at 8 weeks and just avoid the black runs, off piste and adverse weather conditions and take it easy. The baby is so cushioned at 8 weeks I can't think it would affect it if you had a couple of tumbles...but it has to be your personal choice!

Doublechocolatetiffin Sun 10-Dec-17 23:22:26

I skied at 8 weeks with my DD, I just kept to the easy pistes and skied warily (keeping an eye out for others who aren’t skiing so carefully). Personally I really enjoyed it, but I was very lucky in that I didn’t really suffer with any nausea or morning sickness.

At eight weeks some people feel so awful they can barely do anything. I personally don’t think it’s that risky to ski in early pregnancy (because the protection the pelvis gives) but one thing I never considered was that I might feel awful.

ZaphodBeeblerox Sun 10-Dec-17 23:23:29

Tbh none of us will know how competent a skier you are and how risk-averse you are. And also how many children/pregnancies you’ve had and how long you’ve been TTC. If this is DC4 and you’re a competent snowboarder and have had easy pregnancies I’d go. If this is IVF DC1 after years of TTC and your first time snowboarding since college I wouldn’t. Somewhere in between is an answer that will work for you!

There is a small risk in every pregnancy that things can go wrong. When they do we often tend to grasp at various straws rational or not about what we could have done differently. Most (but not all) the time the answer is that it isn’t anything we did.

If something did go wrong would you be okay with it?

ninecoronas Sun 10-Dec-17 23:29:06

I went at 12 weeks. Intermediate type of level skier. I asked my (dour, German) doctor if it was ok for me to ski and he raised an eyebrow and said "can you ski? Then of course." But different folks, etc....

I would say:
I felt extremely tired so only skied mornings and sat watching in cafes in the pm, as didn't want to push myself. Went with a mixed group many of whom were content to do the same (but with beer) which made it fun rather than boring.

I fell off a ski lift and felt extremely guilty!

And I told a couple of mates who I was going with in case of emergencies.

Have fun and congrats!

Cakelaur Sun 10-Dec-17 23:33:46

Thank you for all your stories and comments ladies. Appreciate all of your points of view. I think I’ll wait and see how I feel around the time. Once I break the news on xmas day I’ll see what everyone’s views are too. There may be a couple of others on the trip looking for an easy going non-skiing buddy!! Haha.

hidengosqueak Sun 10-Dec-17 23:39:56

I went boarding at 4.5 months and it was fine although they made me wear a tabard to let the chair operators know to stop the chair when I got to the top ( elf n safety thing )

Foxsox Sun 10-Dec-17 23:49:58

No I wouldn't
I use my MIL as an example
An extremely skilled and competent skier, wiped out by some idiot that had no idea.
It's just not worth the risk
She felt her muscles tear whilst hurtling down the slope,.
Enjoy the holiday, just not the skiing

Hulaballoo Mon 11-Dec-17 08:25:27

Personally I wouldn't no matter how competent/skilled you are. I wouldn't want to put baby into any potential risk... Id still go and enjoy the company, hot drinks, walks and lovely food 🙂

Cakelaur Mon 11-Dec-17 12:23:55

Yeah i think I’m leaning towards not risking it. I’d never forgive myself if I harmed the baby. And I’ve been snowboarding for 20years but equally I can have just as much walking around and eating and reading. Just my poor OH cos we were looking forward to skiing together. Anyway. It’s only one year I’ll be missing out on. X

allegretto Mon 11-Dec-17 12:27:48

I posted this on another thread but I wouldn't. I broke my arm in several places skiing while pregnant (and it was cross-country not even downhill) and it caused me loads of problems as I had to be operated on, drugs and anaesethia given etc. Not worth the risk!

LorelaiVictoriaGilmore Mon 11-Dec-17 13:58:05

I haven't skied when pregnant with either of my two. I just don't see that it can possibly be worth the risk. How many winters are you going to be pregnant and how many winters will you be free to ski? It's not just about possibly damaging the baby, it's about getting an injury yourself that can't be treated properly because you are pregnant or just the misery of getting more pregnant and heavier when your leg is broken in three places. And as pp have said, it doesn't matter how good you are - it's the other idiots you need to worry about.

Ishouldreallybeworkingg Mon 11-Dec-17 16:35:41

There is absolutely no way I would ski or snowboard knowing I was pregnant, sorry.

Chocness Mon 11-Dec-17 20:34:19

I wouldn’t ski or snowboard either. I couldn’t live with myself if something happened that caused harm to my baby and as other posters have said, even though you are a competent snowboarder there’s plenty of idiots on those slopes who are not. It’s just not worth it. Go to the resort and enjoy lots of spa days, lovely walks and hot chocolate with waffles instead.

Dozer Mon 11-Dec-17 20:38:31

Other people in your skiing party’s views aren’t relevant: you’re the one who needs to be happy with your decision for yourself and your DC.

I am risk averse so wouldn’t.

Only one year of skiing you’d be missing out on? This must be DC1! Do you have a fantastic family who will look after a 1 year old while you and DH go away skiing?!

museumum Mon 11-Dec-17 20:39:59

I skied half days at 12 weeks. I honestly believe the baby was at no risk at all at that size and deep inside. But I was a bit worried about breaking myself as crutches and limited painkiller options would not be fun. Never mind needing a GA.

Then again I cycled till the end. I felt the benefits of staying active outweighed the risks.

Nan0second Mon 11-Dec-17 20:43:14

Obstetrician: skiing safe under 12 weeks as fetus protected by the pelvis.
Above that, it is a bit risky due to exposed uterus and changes in centre of gravity making balance more difficult.

Amatree Mon 11-Dec-17 20:48:39

I wouldn't personally. I couldn't relax and enjoy it so would probably be more likely to fall! And if anything at all was wrong with the baby I would always question if the fall had anything to do with it. Just not worth it in my opinion but you have to make your own call.

BikeRunSki Mon 11-Dec-17 20:53:01

My technique and composure has never been as good as it was when I skied at 7 wks pg!

ZenNudist Mon 11-Dec-17 21:03:28

I did ski at 8 weeks. I did research and asked mumsnet and got the answers you are getting here. That 'baby is cushioned inside you' etc / 'i wouldnt risk it' answers.

So i did it. Mainly just morning skiing, took it easy, did have fun, fell once but 'thankfully' on my head 🤕😣

Anyway came on here to advise you NOT to do it! I think over exerting myself was not good for my joints or back. Dont just research safety for baby but also look at safety for yourself. Your joints are stretchy and prone to more mobility than usual. I now understand that certain exercises / over doing it can cause lifetime joint problems. 8 years on i have difficulty walking and bad back and legs/ neck. Was it the skiing?, gym? (i gave up gym at 3 months) or just carrying 2 big boys? Dont know but i think id be more careful if i were making that decision again. There are people who ski/cycle/horseride/canoe whatever until 8.5 months and are fine. But then other people dont manage that.

Mind you it was a good holiday and last time i got to ski!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: