Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Cellular Blankets & Muslins

(20 Posts)
sammy891 Thu 07-Dec-17 22:55:03

Where is the best place to stock up on cellular blankets and muslin squares? Something affordable that will last being washed a lot. Thanks

Coffeeorginplease Thu 07-Dec-17 23:01:46

I found the best prices muslins at Matalan...they do plain and cute designs. Seem as good quality as elsewhere twice the price and do the same job!!
I got lots of cellular blankets from mothercare and although they were slightly more expensive that some shops they seems to do well in the wash and feel a bit nicer!

scruffpup Thu 07-Dec-17 23:05:52

Ikea sell little wash cloths called KRAMA for a few pounds and they have been invaluable... from newborn through to toddler. They are thin soft little flannels and after buying lots of expensive muslins I found these did the job far better at mopping up spit up and barely used the muslins. Not sure on blankets as most of ours were gifts! smile

Urglewurgle Thu 07-Dec-17 23:16:32

My softest Muslins were a multipack from Amazon...
Any others I've been given (pretty coloured ones) have just not washed as soft.

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B008BSX3YS/ref=mp_s_a_1_7_a_it?keywords=muslin&tag=mumsnetforum-21&ie=UTF8&qid=1512688530&sr=8-7

LRL2017 Thu 07-Dec-17 23:17:32

Asda and matalan, primark and Aldi are good muslin squares. All wash really well and I go through a lot!

welshweasel Thu 07-Dec-17 23:18:08

I bought my Muslims from amazon (lovjoy brand). They have been v hard wearing and are now used as comforters for my almost 2 year old.

llangennith Thu 07-Dec-17 23:23:03

Mothercare cellular cot blankets are great. Ours are still used as a light covering on hot summer nights or as a blanket on the sofa in winter, 14 and 10 years later.

sammy891 Thu 07-Dec-17 23:58:36

Thank you everyone, will have a look at these purse friendly options smile

PandaEyes2 Fri 08-Dec-17 16:03:37

We got brought a huge pack of muslins when I was pregnant from Mothercare! 14 months on and I'm still using them, he actually uses them as comforters lol. They aren't too big like some I've seen

AliMonkey Fri 08-Dec-17 16:26:21

Bought ours in Mothercare 13 years ago and they are still used to mop up spills, clean windows, ...

May not be as soft as they once were but they stayed soft until both children past toddlerhood.

CoodleMoodle Sat 09-Dec-17 22:28:53

We bought loads of muslins from Primark, some from Asda as well. My DD is 3.5 and they're her comforters, she has loads (currently in bed with about 10 of them) and I've bought her a pack of rainbow ones from Tesco for Christmas. They can be a bit rough, so we bought some lovely soft scarves from Primark and my clever DM turned them into muslins of a fashion. I wouldn't use them for wiping up spills but they're good to snuggle with.

eastlondoner Sat 09-Dec-17 22:44:07

Muslins from Boots (soft & lovely designs) and Mothercare. Best cellular blankets from Mothercare. Happy shopping smile

sammy891 Sat 09-Dec-17 22:59:04

Thanks everyone!! Will start stocking up on them smile

RosesInTheHospital Sat 09-Dec-17 23:02:48

Apart from the time DS was born til he went into a sleeping bag at 8 weeks I didn’t use more than 2 cellular blankets. So you don’t need to buy too many. DS also hardly ever vommed, now he’s starting to wean they’re coming in useful, use them knitted behind his head as a big bib. Only ever used them as something for him to play with so far 🙈

WinkyisbackontheButterBeer Sat 09-Dec-17 23:16:23

I bought loads of cellular blankets and probably used two of them a couple of times. Dd went into a grobag as soon as she got to 8lbs and they were no good as pram blankets.
I would just get a couple to start with. Ours were lollipop lane from amazon and were lovely and soft.
The best muslins were actually hand-me-down ones. They seem to get softer with age. I cut some into small squares. They are great for drying little bums and Dd has never had nappy rash.

NotEnoughCushions Sat 09-Dec-17 23:20:37

Agree with Roses. No need to stock up on cellular blankets, I bought several from JL and ended up giving them away several years later, unused. DC just had a fleece over them in the Moses basket and then we used sleeping bags.

Muslins... I just worked my way through Mothercare ones and they were fine and washed well.

With online shopping/Amazon you can have stuff delivered the next day in a real emergency. With hindsight I wouldn't have bought much bedding beforehand but the marketing guys convince you that you need to have it all ready!

sammy891 Sun 10-Dec-17 00:34:01

Oh thanks for the great tips!

confused123456 Sun 10-Dec-17 00:37:42

I loved the cellular blankets in Mothercare. They wash fairly well and are lovely and soft.
Can't comment on muslins as I didn't ever use them, I only ever used bibs.

GrowThroughWhatYouGoThrough Sun 10-Dec-17 00:57:32

Sainsburys my son has some now which were his sisters so 5&1/2 years old and still going strong! (He won't have the new ones I buy 🙈)

TinoTheArtisticMouse Sun 10-Dec-17 09:16:48

Another vote for Aldi. Watch out for them having a baby event. We used their muslins and blankets for dd1 and will be reusing for dc2.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: