Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Are microwaves safe?

(25 Posts)
SparklyScourer Thu 07-Dec-17 14:44:58

This is going to sound ridiculous I’m sure...

But I was in work and someone was talking to me so I ended up being stood right next to the microwave that was on the whole time (under 10mins but it felt a long time!). I did feel a bit worried because I don’t like being near them anyway.

Mixed results come up on google.. I’m 18 weeks?

TwinkleStars15 Thu 07-Dec-17 15:48:40

Seriously?

eurochick Thu 07-Dec-17 15:50:34

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Battleax Thu 07-Dec-17 15:52:12

I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine.

Sitting next to one for hours every day, isn't something I'd rush to do, but standing next to one for a few minutes is no worry.

Oysterbabe Thu 07-Dec-17 16:22:49

Sorry but 😂😂

GorgonzolaForever Thu 07-Dec-17 16:24:41

Stop googling smile

RestingGrinchFace Thu 07-Dec-17 16:26:45

Provided that you were not inside the microwave there is no risk,

Expectingbsbunumber2 Thu 07-Dec-17 16:41:59

I don't even know what to say to this

Anatidae Thu 07-Dec-17 16:43:56

You will be fine.
The microwaves are contained within the metal box of the microwave oven which acts a a faraday cage.

Microwaves are not radiation as in radioactivity, they are electromagnetic radiation, so they are totally contained within the faraday cage and you’re fine 👍

MrsMotherHen Thu 07-Dec-17 16:43:57

No not safe at all! You will give birth to a radio active baby.

First baby by any chance?

of course you will be fine

Kursk Thu 07-Dec-17 16:45:35

Microwaves are safe, there is a possibility of a older one “leaking” radiation but it’s unlikely.

Drape a damp teatowl over the microwave front. If it gets hot it’s leaking if it’s cold it’s safe.

DancesWithOtters Thu 07-Dec-17 16:47:29

grin

Oysterbabe Thu 07-Dec-17 17:14:16

In all seriousness, just be on the lookout for any superpowers after the baby is born.

Ninjamilo Thu 07-Dec-17 19:46:34

Yes, it sounds ridiculous 🤣

SparklyScourer Fri 08-Dec-17 10:35:01

Believe it or not I’m usually very rational. And yes I did google which did make me question it! @kursk @battleaxe thank you for your input.

@eurochick....

SparklyScourer Fri 08-Dec-17 10:36:38

And @Anatidae thanks smile this is all I was expecting to hear haha

Adviceplease360 Fri 08-Dec-17 10:40:53

First baby?

CL1982 Fri 08-Dec-17 10:44:20

Ah, I think it's ok to ask these things guys! Safe place and all that.

OP i had a little wobble using my induction hob in trimester 1! It's normal to worry about things even when we know we're being a little OTT about them. My husband is a physicist and has often told the barmy health nuts about how microwaves are very safe and don't make your food or you radioactive using studies to prove it! It's all contained in a very safe box. Just make sure it doesn't have a massive hole in it that you're pressed against and you'll be ok!

I think we're more at risk of the nuclear tests being done by N Korea tbh.... smile

SparklyScourer Fri 08-Dec-17 11:06:23

It’s not my first pregnancy for those who are asking but this will hopefully be my first living child.

@CL1982 thank you! Haha I do know how I sound but the whole reason I came to MN after a google wobble was for this response, you have restored my faith smile plus that’s really interesting that your husband has to reassure people about that!

thingymaboob Fri 08-Dec-17 11:11:17

As usual @Anatidae gives a wonderful and logical scientific response! Love your posts!

SparklyScourer Fri 08-Dec-17 11:13:55

It’s very much appreciated!

bumsy Fri 08-Dec-17 11:15:13

My Aunt and Uncle are very weird about me standing next to a microwave when it's on. They go into a panic!

She's a nurse and he does spy intelligence shit for a living...

SparklyScourer Fri 08-Dec-17 11:42:55

Yes bumsy haha so it’s not just me it is other usually sensible people! I think there was a bad batch of mumsnetters on here yesterday (apart from the helpful ones!) wink

Anatidae Fri 08-Dec-17 11:48:02

You’re welcome ;)

People need to be able to ask these questions without getting shot down - there are no stupid questions! People do genuinely worry about stuff and should be able to get a straight answer without being mocked.

Googling faraday cages will send you down an enjoyable rabbit hole ... well worth an hour or so.

CL1982 Fri 08-Dec-17 13:25:35

@Anatidae OMG those things were bloody bonkers 😂

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: