Talk

Advanced search

is cramping normal at 5+5 weeks?

(7 Posts)
littlesugarplum Wed 06-Dec-17 21:59:05

So this is my second pregnancy, my DS is 3 but from what I can remember I didn't have any symptoms last time, I had an easy pregnancy up until the last month where I was in agony with SPD, but I don't remember experiencing any pains like this last time.

I've been getting on and off cramping since I found out I was pregnant nearly two weeks ago, some of it is like a dull ache similar to light period pains, and others have been a very sharp pain if I stand up quickly or pick my son up. It's not constant, but it's happening enough that it's making me worry a little bit, I've had no bleeding but I keep going to the toilet after the pains to check as it's got me worried!

I had my pregnancy confirmed by the nurse the other day, and she referred me to the midwife but my booking in appointment isn't until the first week of January when I'll be 9 weeks! So i'm not sure if I can/should try and contact her or the GP about the cramping before I have the booking appointment? The fact I've had no bleeding along side the cramps is making me think that i'm just overthinking it (I definitively feel a lot more anxious about pregnancy this time around already) and that it's probably just everything stretching out and making room again?!

I'm just not sure if this is normal this early or something to question, any help/experience would be great!

littlemissalwaystired Wed 06-Dec-17 22:01:13

Some level of cramping is definitely normal in early pregnancy, your uterus is starting to stretch which is what the period-type aches are. As long as you're not bleeding and the pain is bearable then I wouldn't be overly concerned but please get checked out if concerned. Always better safe than sorrysmile

BertieBotts Wed 06-Dec-17 22:01:49

It could just be stretching. I expect if you contact anyone they would say don't worry unless you have actual pain or bleeding, as those are signs of ectopic pregnancy.

There is nothing to be done unfortunately for early pregnancy loss so you are okay to wait and see, in terms of you don't "lose" anything.

If you do get pain or bleeding then you can self refer to EPAU at your local hospital.

Mrshand123 Thu 07-Dec-17 11:33:09

I'm 11 weeks today and still get some mild cramping, I've had an early scan at 7 weeks and all was fine then. It's just your body adjusting. It is scary sometimes but I've been told it's normal smile

juneisthemonth Thu 07-Dec-17 12:51:03

Everything you just described was every symptom I had!!! I spoke to my midwife because I was so worried!! She said it was perfectly normal. Still worried even after I was told that though! Had my 12 week scan Monday and everything was absolutely fine smile don't worry yourself too much, remember everything is growing down there xxxx

ForeverHopeful21 Thu 07-Dec-17 16:46:41

I've had cramping on and off from 5 weeks. A couple of times it was so severe that I could hardly move and would last for hours. I called 111 and ended up being referred to the EPU. However I'm now 21 weeks and all is well. I still get cramps every now and then but have learnt to live with them.

If you're worried its definitely worth calling your GP, but please know that its quite common even if you didn't have them with your other pregnancies.

Rebeccaslicker Thu 07-Dec-17 18:04:05

Yep - I cramped from before I got my BFP with DD; I was so sure it was my period. In fact it was so early I convinced myself it was the menopause!! Then right up until about 8 weeks.

Why why why do they all have to feel the same? Sore boobs, cramps, moodiness... is it PMT, is it meno, is it a baby, who knows?!

Surely we could have evolved better than this grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now