Talk

Advanced search

Smp/maternity allowance or nothing?

(13 Posts)
Dustywillow Wed 06-Dec-17 19:50:56

Hi everyone

Wondering if anyone can help me with figuring out if I'm entitled to any pay. I'm 24 weeks pregnant and having to hand my notice in at work as moving away. My last day will be 6th January.

I only work part time over £150 a week. I have worked there since February but only started working more hours in august. Before that i only did one day a week.

I've tried looking online just find it all so confusing and wondering if anyone else could help? Would I still be entitled even if I have to resign ? Can my employer refuse ?

Thanks for reading x

hannknitted Wed 06-Dec-17 20:55:52

If you resign and will have left the job before you start maternity leave, you won't be entitled to SMP from that employer.

You might be able to claim Maternity Allowance but it depends on your circumstances - I'd suggest looking here for more info, they have an online calculator you can use to calculate what you'd be entitled to https://www.gov.uk/maternity-allowance/eligibility

Moanyoldcow Wed 06-Dec-17 21:19:24

That's not true Handknitted. Once you qualify for SMP at an employer, you are entitled to be paid SMP from that employer for 39 weeks even if you leave after qualifying.

cornishmumtobe Wed 06-Dec-17 21:27:27

Can you start Maternity leave on 6 Jan instead of resigning? Then don't go back

Moanyoldcow Wed 06-Dec-17 21:42:06

Depends Cornish - only if she's actually 29 weeks by then as you can't start mar leave earlier than 29 weeks.

dementedpixie Wed 06-Dec-17 21:48:46

Once you qualify then it would be paid even if you left the job afterwards. You have to have been employed for 26 weeks by the time you are 25 weeks pregnant to get smp. Think there is a minimum pay specified too

MadeForThis Wed 06-Dec-17 21:59:19

They measure your stat maternity pay based on how much you earned in your qualifying weeks. 8 weeks time period. I think between weeks 16-24. I'm possibly wrong with the exact weeks. If you earned enough - over £113 per week you will get stat maternity allowance from your employer. If you earned less you will get a letter from your employer after you hand in your matB1 form which will allow you to claim maternity allowance.

This may work in your favour as with maternity allowance you can hand in the payslips from any 8 weeks. Don't have to be consecutive. So you can provide your highest earning ones. Your payment will be based on this. Max £140 per week.

Dustywillow Thu 07-Dec-17 09:34:10

Thanks for all your replies. I don't think my employer understands much about it as hasn't even mentioned to me about pay or leave. So will have a look online and see if I can get anything.

Thanks again x

GreenGoblin0 Thu 07-Dec-17 10:50:15

Thanks for all your replies. I don't think my employer understands much about it as hasn't even mentioned to me about pay or leave
you need to hand in your MATB1 before he can do that

dementedpixie Thu 07-Dec-17 11:23:14

Doesn't need matb1 to decide about leave. Needs it for maternity pay but doesnt need to have it to know about maternity leave policy/pay in the first place.

MyDcAreMarvel Thu 07-Dec-17 11:29:43

I would work until the exact day you turn 29 weeks. Could you stay with a friend for a couple of days?

MyDcAreMarvel Thu 07-Dec-17 11:30:05

Posted to soon, then go on maternity rather than resign.

Jupiter15 Thu 07-Dec-17 19:26:33

You will qualify because you will have worked there more than 26 weeks before the qualifying week and will be working there in the qualifying week (the 15th week before week of expected delivery) and it’s calculated on the 8 week period before the qualifying week when you would have been earning £150 a week so you would qualify in that respect too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now