Talk

Advanced search

12 week scan

(15 Posts)
PJsAndProsecco Wed 06-Dec-17 18:06:02

So I just got my letter from the hospital - my scan is on Monday next week, yay!

I had an early scan due to some brown blood which dated me at 6+2. If that date is correct I will be 11+1 on the day of the scan. Going by LMP I will be 12+2. Either date is possible as I've no idea when I ovulated!

Midwife wasn't concerned and said the 12 week scan is the accurate one for dating. What happens if I'm 11+1? Will they be able to do the NT screening? I'm chuffed to see baby obviously but was planning on having he screening.

PJsAndProsecco Wed 06-Dec-17 18:08:55

And also, I don't want to re-arrange Monday's appointment as I'm aware being closer and closer to Christmas they might struggle for a date/I might have to wait another fortnight!

thecolonelbumminganugget Wed 06-Dec-17 18:12:41

I had my first 12 week scan at 10+6, they dated my pregnancy and did blood pressure and tested my pee for protein and sugar but the baby was too small to do the genetic testing. They booked me in for a second scan two weeks later, which was today, to measure the neck fluid and take blood. Essentially, the baby needs to be a certain size before they can do the test, if it's a bit small they will just book you in again at a later date.

PJsAndProsecco Wed 06-Dec-17 18:21:25

Thank you! Do you think it'll be okay to tell people if we have a good scan at 11 weeks?

thecolonelbumminganugget Wed 06-Dec-17 18:37:46

We did but I think it's a very personal decision. Even if they did do the testing at your scan you will have to wait a couple of weeks for a result if all is well. For us it came down to, if we did have to end the pregnancy for whatever reason would we be comfortable telling people and talking about it and we concluded that having seen our baby and things all looking well, it already felt like part of our family. We also have a lovely and supportive bunch of friends and family who would support us if things went wrong, we felt we would benefit more from having the support than from not having to talk about it if we kept it private.

Maidmummy Thu 07-Dec-17 09:31:26

They will do the nt scan. I was 11+2 at my first scan and i was in time for it by 2 days. They can do them from 11-14 weeks so you should be fine smile

Nickicha Thu 07-Dec-17 09:39:02

If for any reason they can't get the measurements they will ask you to come back in a few days.

PJsAndProsecco Thu 07-Dec-17 09:47:06

Ah thank you! I'm expecting the dates to differ slightly from the early scan I had anyway as I know how inaccurate it can be even by a mm at that gestation! My early scan was an abdominal one and she could easily find the baby and heartbeat which I was surprised at, as I was expecting an internal scan being so early on. So perhaps I may be a few days out on that early date anyway!

ClaireBear1986 Thu 07-Dec-17 15:32:10

I was 11 weeks and 5 days at my first "12 week scan" and they advised that they were unable to do the NT Screening.
They told me that I needed to be 12 weeks as a minimum and so I had to return the week after.

PJsAndProsecco Thu 07-Dec-17 15:48:12

Did you still get a picture etc from the first scan?

ClaireBear1986 Thu 07-Dec-17 16:14:38

Yes, they checked the heartbeat and confirmed the due date. And I was able to buy a picture as well.

They just said that the tests wouldn't be accurate enough until I was at least 12 weeks, so they refuse to do it any earlier than 12 weeks.

Some people have said they had the tests done earlier than 12 weeks though, so I guess it is down to each NHS area.

Good luck for Monday smile

thumbelina03 Thu 07-Dec-17 16:24:36

I was 11+4 at my scan and was given due date and had all screening tests done. I have to go back for second scan to check the umbilical cord, so holding off telling people until we're 100% certain all is ok

PJsAndProsecco Tue 12-Dec-17 09:18:04

Update: had my scan yesterday and all is well, very active baby in there and they dated me at 12+2, so I've jumped forward that week from the early scan!!

ClaireBear1986 Tue 12-Dec-17 10:37:04

Great news @PJsAndProsecco. What is your due date?
Bet you are feeling a lot more relived now smile

PJsAndProsecco Tue 12-Dec-17 11:18:24

I am, thank you @ClaireBear1986 smile

Due date 23rd June!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now