Talk

Advanced search

What happens at your first midwife appointment?

(11 Posts)
Wicket2016 Wed 06-Dec-17 08:57:31

Hi this is my first pregnancy and I have an appointment next week. I've been told it will last up to 1hr 30. Should I take my DH? He's asked if he should take the morning off. But I'm expecting it to be lots of form filling and maybe some blood tests. Can anyone enlighten me? Thank you in advance x

Flumplet Wed 06-Dec-17 09:00:19

Lots of box ticking, answering questions and getting you on the system. Blood tests and possibly a urine test also. Blood pressure check as well.

mehhh Wed 06-Dec-17 09:01:29

I can't really remember is jt your booking appointment? If so literally nothing form filling and explaining what the process is (well it was for me anyway) think it also depends on how far gone you are when you find out I was very early on

CoodleMoodle Wed 06-Dec-17 09:10:57

I had mine yesterday and went on my own. DH came with me for my first booking appointment with DD, but I told him not to bother this time.

They just go through loads of questions about your medical history, your DH's medical history, any medical problems in your immediate families, previous pregnancies/births/children, your living situation (any abuse in the home), where you're planning on delivering... They'll also probably give you information on various different things like feeding, sleeping, diet, etc. And you should get your pregnancy notes!

I had my blood pressure taken too. Last time I think they did weight/height as well, but this time I had that done recently so they didn't need to. And I had to do a urine sample because they wanted to check it against my previous one, but they might not ask you for one. I'd already had my bloods done so didn't need to do that, but you might if you haven't already.

JohnLapsleyParlabane Wed 06-Dec-17 09:12:15

They ask some pretty intimate questions, and for some of them (dv related iirc) they would ask the partner to leave the room.

Buxbaum Wed 06-Dec-17 09:15:08

Really no need for DH to be there and as PP have said they would ask him to step out for the DV / safety questions. Save the morning off for your scan smile

pastabest Wed 06-Dec-17 09:18:40

I’ve had 3 booking appointments in the last 2 years.

They fill in your medical history
They take bloods and urine
Height and weight (to get BMI)
Blood pressure
They will ask you about where you might plan to deliver
Ask about domesic violence/ mental health/ involvement with social services
They will check you are taking folic acid and vit d and advise about healthy eating.
Sometimes they get you to blow into a carbon monoxide monitor to check you aren’t being exposed or to check your levels if you are a smoker.
Finally they may book your 12 week scan depending on local practices, they will ask if you want the screening for Downs Syndrome/ Pataus etc (this is done at your 12 week scan)
You will be sent home with a pack of information.

I wouldn’t take DH, save his leave from the scans.

mindutopia Wed 06-Dec-17 09:19:01

Pretty much that, lots of forms, blood and urine tests. There's no reason to take your DH. He'll be bored to death. Have him save that time for when you really need it, for scans, if there are any complications that you need extra appts for that you could use his support, getting the house ready for baby, etc.

HaHaHmm Wed 06-Dec-17 10:31:32

I had mine last week and noticed that it had a lot more demographic questions than I remember from last time (admittedly five years ago, and I'm now in a different part of the country). The midwife asked a lot of questions about my (and DH's) ethnicity, occupation, level of education and whether anyone in the family was known to the police or SS.

GrapesAreMyJam Wed 06-Dec-17 14:27:00

For mine there wasn't much form filling as all my notes are on the computer. DP came with me but they did ask him some health questions and family history as well.
He wasn't asked to leave the room however.

Wicket2016 Wed 06-Dec-17 17:35:43

Thank you all for your responses. Very helpful! X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now