Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Measuring big for dates - is it down to me gaining top much weight ?

(16 Posts)
Mortigua Tue 05-Dec-17 23:23:29

I know that fundal measurements aren't the most accurate and I am due to have a growth scan anyway in a couple of weeks but have been worried about my weight gain all pregnancy and can't help feeling like this could be the reason I am measuring big for dates?
I'm 34 weeks and been measuring a week and a half ahead till 2 weeks ago but today measured nearly 4 weeks ahead.
My midwife was very relaxed about it and said it's not that accurate, wait for the growth scan etc but I feel self conscious about how big I am and now worried at how big I will get , whether there are problems or whether I've gained too much.
Can't exercise much due to spd but been eating less I thought and generally busy. It doesn't help that I keep being told how huge I am!

Mortigua Wed 06-Dec-17 06:24:47

Title should of course say too much weight not top !

Sassy306 Wed 06-Dec-17 08:49:39

I'm not an expert but I am measuring 2 weeks ahead at the moment...I'm 25 weeks pregnant and I have only gained 2lbs in weight my entire pregnancy so that can't be the reason the baby is measuring big. I have had friends measure way ahead that went on to have 7lb babies at full term so try not to stress too much smile

Hannabee123 Wed 06-Dec-17 10:16:08

I'm really not sure if it's due to weight gain. I Think gestational diabetes can impact size but in terms of eating / gaining weight I'm not sure.
My baby is measuring tiny and I face an early induction. I've been eating junk all throughout pregnancy mostly due to sickness and keeping things down. Gained loads of weight but risk a tiny baby.
I have friends that are measuring 10 pounds onwards who are very healthy.

I will say the scans are not 100% accurate in the first place. Many are due a huge / tiny baby but turn out to be normal.

Babies are all different and unique I don't think there is an average or normal.

I'm 37 weeks, tiny baby, tiny bump compared to most although I've gained podge so stop worrying so much. If you are worried just eat healthy and just keep as active as you can in the day. Even just a short walk or do some pottering around the house. I've been sat on my ass as a long distance truck driver for months which hasn't at all helped. So yeah stop worrying just see how it goes as long as baby's fine

ZigZagandDustin Wed 06-Dec-17 10:21:34

Purely anecdotal but my #1 and #3 were 7lb. #2 was 9lb. I had a very sweet tooth on #2 and definitely gained weight myself when pregnant with her. Didn't gain much with the other two. So I've always believed my diet made her chunkier than the rest. I've read research too that says what you eat while pregnant can affect a child's metabolism for life and that always worries me a bit. She is a more solid child than her siblings and craves sweet things more. Hard to know if it's chicken or egg but I do mull this over a lot.

Doubletrouble42 Wed 06-Dec-17 10:27:23

I was huge with dd1. She was a perfectly compact healthy 7'7. I was also huge with my twins, but that's to be expected. I think some of us just get huge when we are pregnant!

Smoochyschmoo Wed 06-Dec-17 10:30:09

I’ve had 3dc and always measured big AND put lots of weight on (5 stone last time 😳) - the midwives have never said this could be the cause. I did have big babies though.

But dsis initially measured 3-4 weeks ahead, and baby was under 7lb.

mamamalt Wed 06-Dec-17 11:22:30

I measured behind most of the time with DS and didn’t put on any weight at all (from behind you wouldn’t have known but massive bump at the front!) and my son was born 9lb7! He’s a proper chunk so I kind of think it means nothing! Don’t worry just eat as healthy as you can so you know you are passing on all the goodness! Good luck x

NC1990 Wed 06-Dec-17 16:58:09

My bump measured big with DD (I'm convinced it was simply because I have a short mid-section and so the only way for her to go was out!), she was 7lbs when she was born so not a big baby at all! The measurements seem to be pretty inaccurate most of the time and even my midwife said this.

Mortigua Wed 06-Dec-17 23:35:30

Sorry been out all day so just catching up!Thank you for the replies. I guess I just have to try to relax. I've been trying to focus on getting 5 plus a day but I've definitely had a sweeter tooth and done less exercise. I've been trying to go swimming but generally far less active so I don't even want to know how much I've gained ! All I know is I look like I am struggling to stand up with the weight and compared to always having "aren't you compact " type comments for my first two, this time I keep being told I'm huge , offered a chair etc! I really feel like I can't imagine getting much bigger and I've got over 5 weeks to go till 40 weeks and was late last time.
Reassuring to hear it's not just me though !

scruffpup Thu 07-Dec-17 18:20:38

Don't worry op, you'll find out more at the scan. I was measuring weeks ahead, didn't help either that I was always very slim so looked like octomum!!!! I had severe fluid levels, I was so worried and everything turned out fine, they were also expecting me to have 10 pounder... minimum. Wanted me to have a c section but I wanted a natural. Went ahead with natural and baby was 8 pounds 15 and perfect! Good luck, I'm sure you'll be fine. smile

Mortigua Thu 07-Dec-17 19:13:52

Thanks scruffpup, I am tall but still look ridiculous this time round - it's poking out miles this time!
Can't wait to get this next bit done, I am just getting more rubbish every day ! Had a call to say I'm anaemic today which probably hasn't helped matters!

Mortigua Thu 07-Dec-17 19:14:22

Meant to say I am tall and not slim !

MentholBreeze Thu 07-Dec-17 19:20:45

I'm short and fat, didn't put on more than 6 kilos in either pregnancy, and the biggest indicator for whether I measured big or small at an appointment was whether it was morning (belly tended to be soft) or afternoon (belly got harder as I was on my feet all day - dunno why)

I measured 3 cm different with just 3 days apart once (measured both by midwife in clinic, then at hospital for a consultant appointment.

Frankly, I don't give much credit to these measurements, they all seem to be very dependent on who's doing them!

Mortigua Thu 07-Dec-17 19:35:40

Yes I think they aren't that accurate and the midwife said as much. Both consultant and midwife had got me as measuring a week and a half ahead though 2 weeks (and at the previous ones)ago then same midwife measured 4 weeks. She said since I've got a growth scan booked anyway its not an issue so I really don't need to worry but I think it's prodded at my anxiety issues a bit maybe.
I need to get back to swimming I think both for mental health and physically!

hlr1987 Thu 07-Dec-17 23:36:11

Everything from what you ate the night before and is in your digestive system, to how the baby is laying at that particular moment (pushing fluid around) can effect what you measure as at that one time! It's just a rough guide for them, I wouldn't worry. Growth scans are nice though, you can see your baby again 😀

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: