Advanced search

What are the best products for you and your baby? From travel systems to sterilisers, you can find out all you need to know from our Mumsnet Best reviews

Find out more

Early Scan + Announcing Pregnancy

(20 Posts)
GeekGirl751 Tue 05-Dec-17 18:44:14

I'm currently 7+3 and we have an early scan on Saturday when I will be exactly 8 weeks due to me having had some bleeding a couple of weeks ago. If all goes well me and my partner are planning on announcing the good news (both of our parents already know); I was just wondering what everyone's opinion on this is? Do you think it's too soon? There's a little part of me that feels like we should maybe wait til we've had our second scan but keeping quiet for this long has been so hard already! I'm 23 and this is our first baby so we are both so excited! Any advice would be greatly appreciated 😊

noodlesandtomatoes Tue 05-Dec-17 18:47:51

Tell whoever you would be comfortable telling if something went wrong.

MaisyPops Tue 05-Dec-17 18:52:59

Tell whoever you are happy telling.

If DH and I get a BFP this month we'll be telling family at 6 weeks over Christmas mainly because it's been a long time coming and we wouldn't be able to keep it to ourselves. But they would be sworn to secrecy.

bettydraper31 Tue 05-Dec-17 18:57:20

I had a few early scans but still didn’t say anything until about 13/14 week, I just thought they wouldn’t suggest waiting until 12weeks without good reason. Do what you feel comfortable with OP. Congrats on your pregnancy xx

Glitterandunicorns Tue 05-Dec-17 19:03:24

Congratulations OP! Tell anyone you like whenever you like, but I would suggest not telling absolutely everyone; just those whose support you'd need in the worst case scenario.

Last week I had a miscarriage at six weeks. We'd told our parents but that was only because I'd had really bad sickness. That meant it wasn't too bad only having to tell a few people about our sad news. It's awful enough as it is without having to keep telling people and going over it.

Anyway, sorry to put a downer on your thread. Congrats again, and I hope you have a healthy and happy pregnancy! thanks

BlueeSpottyTiger Tue 05-Dec-17 19:05:32

Firstly congrats smile I'm 7+2. I was 23 with my first pregnancy aswell.

With 2 of my previous pregnancies i told all my family at about 4.5 weeks. Unfortunately i lost one of them in a mmc at 12+5 but i didn't mind all them people knowing what i had been though. Tell people you are comfortable with knowing if all doesn't go to plan, Sorry to sound like a downer 🙈
With this pregnancy i have a scan on the 22nd of December when I'll be 9+6 and if all goes well then i plan on telling my family on Christmas day! I'll prob wrap up one of the scan pics and give it them as a gift, hehe!

Goodluck 💖🍀 xx

wibblywobblyfish Tue 05-Dec-17 19:07:30

I didn't say anything with DS1 until I was 24 weeks, 12 weeks with DD and then 24 weeks again with DS2.

DS1 I was quite young and 12 week scans weren't done routinely. I found out at 11weeks pregnant, kept quiet from everyone until my contract had been made permanent at work then promptly handed in my MATb1 and made it public knowledge.

With DD I announced her as soon as I got past 12 weeks. Then had some bleeding at 23 weeks which was scary and put me on edge for the rest of the pregnancy.

With DS2 I hung on until I got past the 24 week mark due to the bleeding in the previous pregnancy.

I'm quite a private anxious person and I don't like any attention. I'm also overweight and don't look any different until I'm about 30 weeks blush

Sharl2017 Tue 05-Dec-17 19:08:16

Personally I'd wait until 12 weeks and I'm always a little shocked when people announce it sooner. That being said I'm now 14 weeks and still haven't told anyone other than our parents and don't plan on sharing it with anyone else until we're 17 weeks at Christmas when itll be family only. We won't be announcing it properly until after the 20 week scan but hey we're strange and I'm being far too anxious after a previous miscarriage.
As PP said tell those you'd be comfortable with telling if anything does go wrong.
Good luck ☺

whattoweartomorrow Tue 05-Dec-17 19:36:11

I had a scan at that point, had a heartbeat, then went on to have a miscarriage shortly after. We hadn't told anyone except parents and to be honest I found it quite frustrating to have to tell friends about the miscarriage who hadn't known about the pregnancy. But then, I wouldn't want to have to tell some people if I miscarried, and I'm glad work didn't know as it's 9 months on and I haven't conceived again and I would hate to think people were wondering.

So really, I think it's up to you: I would just consider that it's not 100% a guarantee (your chances do go up considerably at 12 weeks) but it's a good sign to have a heartbeat at 8 weeks and if there are people you would turn to if things went wrong I'd definitely tell them at this point.

DueNov Tue 05-Dec-17 19:38:48

I waited until 16 weeks to announce as had terrible anxiety about losing the baby. Our first baby but my sister's have all had missed miscarriages.

We found out gender and announced.

It's whenever you feel happy to do so

MeadowHay Tue 05-Dec-17 19:47:06

I'm 12 weeks with my scan on Friday and we are going to start telling close family and friends next week if the scan is fine and we are told we are low risk for Downs, Edwards, and Patau's. If something goes different then we will reasses when we're there.

We are both 23 too and this is our first so we are excited. We told my parents and siblings when I was 7 weeks but only because I have hypermesis gravidarum and we normally see them about once a week so we couldn't hide my sickness and we didn't want them to worry unnecessarily. I also had to tell work at 7 weeks too once I had my HG diagnosis and had to start getting sick notes from the GP as I'd exhausted my self-certification period. However I just told my line manager at work and asked him not to tell my coworkers so the only people at work who know are him, his boss, and HR.

DM miscarried her first in the first trimester and I know miscarriage is very common in first trimester so we really don't want to tell anyone until we are out of it as chances of something going wrong reduce a lot then. It would break my heart to miscarry and then have to go around telling everyone about it. Sorry like the others to talk about such a sad subject but I think it's worth thinking about.

GrapesAreMyJam Tue 05-Dec-17 20:01:46

Last year I had a scan at 8 weeks which showed a heartbeat and we told close friends and family. Then had a mmc which was detected at 13 weeks.

This year we declined an early scan but told the same people as last time.

Loopylasso79 Tue 05-Dec-17 20:58:38

I'm 16 weeks and have only told family and close friends. I had miscarriages at 11 and 13 weeks and it's definitely made me anxious. I've seen people announce on Facebook after literally missing a period then moaning every day about how hard pregnancy is!

CL1982 Tue 05-Dec-17 21:10:45

Up to you. We had an early scan and told parents after and then went public after 12 weeks post first official scan!

heatherxo Tue 05-Dec-17 21:13:23

I didn't "officially annouce" ds1 until 33 weeks, of course people I had bumped into in the street knew I was pregnant.
My niece plastered my 12 week scan all over Facebook this time (I'm 17 weeks now) but I still haven't "officially announced", even though most people know.
Tell who you want, when you're comfortable.

thingymaboob Tue 05-Dec-17 22:06:43

I told pretty much everyone as soon as I had a BFP. I have previously miscarried and would be happy to share miscarriage news with anyone as I feel very passionately about normalising miscarriage and think people should be more open about it if it does happen.

GeekGirl751 Wed 06-Dec-17 05:03:30

Thank you everyone for the responses! To those of you who have previously had miscarriages, I'm so sorry to hear that 😔 To those of you who are currently pregnant, congratulations 😊 The advice you have all provided has given me a lot to think about! I'm going to talk to my partner about it tonight and see what his opinion is on the situation; i.e. would he be comfortable to announce if something goes wrong. The thought of having a miscarriage terrifies me but I feel like I can't live everyday worrying that it'll happen as that sort of stress wouldn't be good! I just know that once I see little bump on the screen and hear a heartbeat that I will be so excited and I'll struggle to keep it to myself 🙈 I'm definitely going to think it over though and make sure announcing it is the right thing to do.

user1499786242 Wed 06-Dec-17 16:23:46

With my first baby we told certain people fairly early on, parents, friends because we were very excited and naive

Had a miscarriage and am now pregnant again And tbh I don't actually want to tell people until after the 20 week scan, have told parents and sisters but that's about it
But it's getting harder to hide so not sure how much longer I can wear floaty tops haha
Not posting on social media this time either which I did alot last time!

Just do what you feel comfortable with, good advice about telling people who you would be happy to tell if anything went wrong!

Heregoeseverything Wed 06-Dec-17 18:16:13

@ OP, I don't think anyone is advising that you spend every day worrying about miscarriage! I think the point is just that there are risks that apply to all of us, especially in the first trimester. You can choose to announce early while being mindful of the risks of course, ie as long as you are not doing so on the assumption that the risks do not apply to you. The risks are the reason people don't announce until 12 weeks, and not a lack of excitement...!

user1485778793 Wed 06-Dec-17 18:26:41

Tell whoever you want to smile

Don't be surprised if you get the odd sour face. My bil didn't congratulate us on our first, he just said 'isn't it a bit early to tell people" we hello, you're supposed to be close family who we would tell if anything happend...maybe not hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now