Advanced search

What are the best products for you and your baby? From travel systems to sterilisers, you can find out all you need to know from our Mumsnet Best reviews

Find out more

Second birth and I'm terrified

(10 Posts)
DamnItPatrice Tue 05-Dec-17 15:41:28

I am 38 weeks and I am so scared of giving birth again. I have a 3 year old and I still remember the pain. Is it true that the second birth is quicker and easier? I'm so anxious and scared about going into labour.

noodlesandtomatoes Tue 05-Dec-17 16:02:26

I was the same and now shitting my with number 3, due this week.
Just need a bit of self talk, you got through it last time, you'll go it again etc.

roobrr Tue 05-Dec-17 16:08:23

Mine was SO much quicker.
15 hours first labour
2 hours second!

Take whatever pain relief you feel you need and remember it's gonna be so worth it when you get to see your new baba x

RandomMess Tue 05-Dec-17 16:10:30

I have had 4 DC and it was never as bad as I remembered!!!

DamnItPatrice Tue 05-Dec-17 16:31:32

Thank you for your replies. My first was also 15 hours, 2 hours would be amazing. This is my first UK birth and I am hoping that the midwives here won't be as pushy as the midwives in my last birth about doing it naturally. I had to fight to get pain relief!

BigBaboonBum Tue 05-Dec-17 16:34:35

Second are almost always muuuuch quicker

Tinselistacky Tue 05-Dec-17 16:36:07

First dc was 17 hour labour.
Second I was asleep and waters broke at midnight - cue drunken neighbour offering to get a mop and bucket!!
Ds arrived at 02.55!!

Fatbergs Tue 05-Dec-17 16:37:26

where did you have your first baby? I had the same experience abroad and actually moved back to the UK when we knew we wanted another one! If it helps OP I had prenatal counselling and was in great form mentally by the birth

Glamorousglitter Tue 05-Dec-17 16:40:30

Second birth was a doddle. A dream compared to the first. You ll be fine: your body s done it once already, so it happens a little easier and less shock factor smile. I did hypnobirthing, found it really useful for staying in the zone and not freaking out which defo helped my overall tolerance.
You still have to work damn hard tho, but overall it s easier. Just think you ll have a little bundle in your arms for Christmas smile

ZigZagandDustin Tue 05-Dec-17 16:45:26

Yes, very different experience second time round. Your job this time is control. You know what it's like and know what to expect, just focus on controlling it and going with it. My first labour was horrific, long and painful. Second was very quick and very different. The moment you think you can't cope, you are almost there and at that point go into a 'zone'. I realised that on #2 and #3. I hadn't understood that first time round.

You can do it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now