Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Is work trying to get rid of me

(17 Posts)
lilliannrose Tue 05-Dec-17 09:07:58

I work as a receptionist at a privately run dental practice and I don't know if I am being overly sensitive because I am preggers or...but in the last couple of months my boss has turned into a right arse to say the least. He's done nothing but made me feel inadequate at my job; he even complained when I had to attend an early scan due to spotting because I hadn't given him "sufficient" notice. I returned to work yesterday after having been signed off sick by the doc. I couldn't believe the changes....there always seem to be a new rule implemented daily. The manager who never works Mondays had been asked in to work reception and so I spent the whole day sitting there looking like a lemon because there's nothing else I could do since it's such a small practice. I felt humiliated! Like I am not good enough. I just can't wait to leave! Just biding my time until I go on maternity leave which unfortunately won't be until May.

lightcola Tue 05-Dec-17 09:14:10

Hmm tough one. Did you ask why your colleague came in to do reception? Were they not expecting you back? You are entitled to time off for scans so he should keep his grumbles to himself. I would keep a written note of everything just in case you need to make a formal complaint.

lilliannrose Tue 05-Dec-17 10:22:18

@lightcola yeah! I asked if she was just here half of the day turned out the boss wanted her in the full day and as there's only one function computer in reception I found I kept getting booted off for her to use it. Yeah I think I might start keeping a note.

lilliannrose Tue 05-Dec-17 10:24:00

@lightcola and yes I was expected back which is why I found it quite surprising she was there. I didn't get much of a warm welcome back anyway.

thelittlethingz Tue 05-Dec-17 10:31:46

It doesn’t sound good to be honest. Keep notes of everything regarding dates and times. Your boss sounds like a massive dickhead!

I would call Acas and speak to them xxx

lilliannrose Tue 05-Dec-17 11:06:52

@thelittlethingz yeah I plan to actually. I think he's hoping I get fed up and leave without actually having to sack me because it's against the law. I have reduced my hours on a temp. basis to just have days so just can't stand being in the environment.

juneisthemonth Tue 05-Dec-17 15:06:54

@lilliannrose I don't blame you I would
Feel exactly the bloody same!!! What a disgusting person to try and make you feel that uncomfortable that you have to hand your notice in, his karma will come!!! Soon you will be out of there with your lovely little baby! Beat his ass with Acas xxx

cautiousoptimist1 Tue 05-Dec-17 15:39:20

It doesn't sound good so keep a note of everything.

Be careful reducing your hours as

cautiousoptimist1 Tue 05-Dec-17 15:40:14

Sorry I posted too soon.

Be careful reducing your hours as this could impact your maternity pay.

lilliannrose Tue 05-Dec-17 21:06:49

@juneisthemonth yeah and that's what my family say is to hang on in there until I leave for maternity.

lilliannrose Tue 05-Dec-17 21:08:24

@cautiousoptimist1 oh really? How does it impact on my maternity pay as it's only a temporary thing. Planning to go back full time in the new year when I enter my second trimester and start feel more normal hopefully.

overnightangel Tue 05-Dec-17 21:09:40

Keep a note of everything as mentioned.
Sounds like it’s leading up to what could be classed as constructive dismissal

HeadDreamer Tue 05-Dec-17 21:11:34

Maternity pay is dependent on your normal pay for the first 6 weeks, assuming you are on statutory. If you are anything higher, then it's even more important. Have a look at
www.gov.uk/maternity-pay-leave/pay

cautiousoptimist1 Tue 05-Dec-17 21:17:56

HeadDreamer has provided the link. Your first 6 weeks of SMP will be based on an average weekly salary calculated by your employer. That is based on a period of at least 8 weeks before the qualifying week which I think is week 25 so hopefully you'll be ok going back to FT hours after Xmas. I didn't mean to alarm you, it's just something to consider.

hannknitted Tue 05-Dec-17 22:04:49

I can't tell from what you've written OP so if it's not the case please ignore me - but if you were planning to quit the job straight after your maternity leave, and your employer pays occupational maternity pay (in addition to statutory maternity pay) then you may want to check there isn't a clause in your contract requiring you to return to work for a set period of time after your maternity leave in order to qualify for the company's occupational maternity pay - many companies will tie you in to returning from maternity leave for a minimum period of time (e.g. 3 months) otherwise you would have to pay back any occupational maternity pay you've received. This doesn't apply to statutory maternity pay which they are required to pay unconditionally provided you are eligible - so, again, if you are only going to receive SMP please ignore me! Just thought I'd point it out in case.

Would also second that going to ACAS for advice would be a good shout. I work in HR so have a lot of dealings with ACAS and they're very good.

IrrationalFamily Tue 05-Dec-17 22:35:49

Please bear in mind you can be made redundant if you are pregnant (not because you are). I was! However if you are and you are past a certain number of weeks, the company still have to pay your maternity pay. They can claim something like 90% of it back from the government.

Constructive dismissal is hard to prove. Try to ride it out till May. Good luck.

lilliannrose Wed 06-Dec-17 19:25:01

Thanks for all the info guys. Been great help!
Whah does constructive dismissal?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: