Talk

Advanced search

Maternity leave ?!?

(21 Posts)
user1495444352 Mon 04-Dec-17 23:19:51

So I’m 23 weeks pregnant with my second child . I had spd in my first pregnancy but it came way earlier in this pregnancy , sometimes when I finish work I can barely walk ! So maternity leave ... it says on a guide I did I can leave as early as January 15th . But I know my employer won’t pay me maternity leave due to being a small buisiness etc so I need to apply for it from the GOV has anyone done this ? How straight forward was it ? What evidence did you need ? AND how early are you leaving work ? Thank s in advance ladies fwink

Bumdishcloths Mon 04-Dec-17 23:23:21

I applied for maternity allowance and go it - form is a bit complicated but just read it looooooads of times. You need matb1 from midwife and I think it's 13 weeks of payslips. I started maternity at 38 weeks. Mat allowance is £140.98 a week and generally paid four weekly.

BritInUS1 Mon 04-Dec-17 23:26:32

Have you been with your employer long enough to qualify for Maternity Pay?

user1495444352 Mon 04-Dec-17 23:27:46

Thanks for your reply ! I’m only 16 hours a week so I don’t think I’ll get as much but every little helps ! My first pregnancy I didn’t get any maternity and was a struggle so I don’t want to do that this time . Lovely cheers I’ll get those ! Yeah I printed it at 46 pages long lol

user1495444352 Mon 04-Dec-17 23:28:13

Yes I’ve been there 6 years lol

Justcallmecaptainobvious Tue 05-Dec-17 04:48:21

Your employer doesn't have a choice - if you qualify for maternity pay then they have to pay you it.. it's up to them to reclaim the money from the government.

Spam88 Tue 05-Dec-17 05:06:56

What justcallme said. Your employer can't opt out of paying you statutory maternity pay, but they reclaim it from the government. Only situation in which you'd apply directly would be for maternity allowance rather than pay, but you're eligible for pay so that's irrelevant.

Bumdishcloths Tue 05-Dec-17 09:13:55

Oh god yes, if you've been there six years then you're entitled to stat mat pay from your employer!

Hatstand Tue 05-Dec-17 09:20:10

Just to reiterate what others have said, your employer doesn't get to choose whether to pay you statutory maternity pay!

NoSuchThing Tue 05-Dec-17 09:31:32

Also worth bearing in mind that as a small business, your employer should be able to claim 103% of your maternity pay back. Don’t accept any excuses from them!

mindutopia Tue 05-Dec-17 10:11:23

You should be entitled to SMP from your employer. It doesn't matter how big or small they are, as long as you are actually employed by them (not self-employed, some small employers won't do PAYE and basically make you be a sole trader and you are treated as self-employed for tax purposes, you should know if this is the case and then you would have to apply for maternity allowance). Otherwise, it should be SMP through your employer assuming you otherwise qualify (you will need to work up until your qualifying week though)

I've never done SMP, but have applied for maternity allowance twice now (the second by as an employee, but my contract ended before my qualifying week, so I wasn't eligible for SMP). The form is really simple and self-explanatory, but I would pursue the SMP route first unless you are self-employed.

Keep in mind though the earlier you start, the earlier it runs out, so that means you may need to go back to work sooner than you want unless you plan to be a SAHP after. If it was me, I'd get the SPD treated (osteopath has pretty much sorted me out in all my pregnancies and after two appts, I felt great again), have them accommodate any needs you have (to sit, sit on an exercise ball, stretch, rest, whatever), and carry on working to bank as much time at home as you get get with baby. I was able to carry on until 36 weeks with my first and plan to do it again this time (I'm 30 weeks now).

user1495444352 Tue 05-Dec-17 12:29:45

Thanks for all your replies , I’ll speak to my boss . BUt the only problem is I’m not planning on going back ? Once my maternity is up I plan on looking for a new job as I’ve been here 6 years and have pretty much had enough now , will that effect my employer paying ? Thanks I’m advance

user1495444352 Tue 05-Dec-17 12:31:46

I’ve tried everything the doctor said / physio and nothing seems to Be working for me but I Work in a pub and I’m forever bending and on my feet so I don’t think that helps my spd

melissasummerfield Tue 05-Dec-17 12:32:40

Not going back will not affect your maternity leave, i wouldnt tell them that you dont plan to return as you never know what might happen in the next 12 months..

user1495444352 Tue 05-Dec-17 12:37:46

OK thank you 😊

MegEmski Tue 05-Dec-17 12:41:40

Hi OP

from GOV website:

Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP)
To qualify for SMP you must:

earn on average at least £113 a week
give the correct notice
give proof you’re pregnant
have worked for your employer continuously for at least 26 weeks continuing into the ‘qualifying week’ - the 15th week before the expected week of childbirth

So I would say you definitely should get it, and your employer should blooming well be paying it!

Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP) is paid for up to 39 weeks. You get:

90% of your average weekly earnings (before tax) for the first 6 weeks
£140.98 or 90% of your average weekly earnings (whichever is lower) for the next 33 weeks

DaisyLand Tue 05-Dec-17 12:42:00

Not going back doesn’t affect you as long as you’re only getting statutory pay. My company I.e gives me more than statutory so If I didn’t go back they could claim the difference back.

MissTFied Tue 05-Dec-17 12:42:46

Have you any annual leave to use before you go? My official start date for may leave is my due date, but I will be leaving one month before as I am using leave.

user1495444352 Tue 05-Dec-17 13:36:56

I’m not sure how much leave I will have to take before I go on maternity . I’m planning feb time so I have 4 weeks before baby if poss . Thank you for all your replies I’ll speak to my boss and see what she says .

BritInUS1 Wed 06-Dec-17 00:03:35

Your employer can also put in an advanced funding claim to get the money from HMRC up front if there are cash flow issues.

user1495444352 Wed 06-Dec-17 00:16:29

LOVely thanks Ill have a chat with her tomorrow 🙂

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now