Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Third trimester pain

(6 Posts)
clairelouiisexo Sat 02-Dec-17 22:12:29

I'm 33 weeks with my first and been getting lots of pain the past few days. It's like a constant ache in my right rib cage, all the way up to my shoulder blade and upper back and it's just awful sad

It only seems to be on my right side and sometimes the mid-upper back pain feels like it's round the front like my lungs are squished right down.

Anyone else experienced pain like this? I only seem to get it later in the day and so far haven't found anything that relieves it, it just seems to go away on its own whilst I'm asleep and then by the next night it's back again!

Is it normal to get pain in your upper back and shoulder blade? And if anyone has any tips on how to relieve the pains then I would really appreciate it because I'm dreading the thought of 7 more weeks of this!

cheshiremama89 Sat 02-Dec-17 22:17:05

I'm 32 + 3 and experience similar although it comes and goes.
Generally worse after a day at work and being sat at a desk.
I've waddled around a bit this weekend and although shattered - little back pain tonight which is good x

clairelouiisexo Sat 02-Dec-17 22:23:39

@cheshiremama89 yes it's definitely worse after days when I'm more active/out and about too. If only I could stay in bed for the next few weeks grin x

NC1990 Sun 03-Dec-17 17:33:05

I had horrendous back pain throughout my pregnancy, like you it was my upper back and shoulder and I felt a constant pulling sensation under my ribs. I got my GP to refer me for physio (using PMI as NHS waiting list was long where I live) and that helped a little. Pleased to say that as soon as DD was born the pain went away. I still get twinges now and again (mainly when rocking the baby to sleep!) but it's much, much better than it was.

BabyOrSanta Sun 03-Dec-17 18:31:35

Have you been checked over recently?
I don't want to alarm you but this could be one of the symptoms of pre-eclampsia (referred pain to right shoulder).

However, it could just be one of the many random aches and pains of pregnancy!

Mrstobe90 Mon 04-Dec-17 00:14:04

I’ve been getting the right side rib pain for weeks now and have found that it’s worst when I’ve been sat for a while. The only position I’m comfortable in is reclined.
I think it’s because everything is getting pushed up so there’s constant pressure on the right rib cage, whereas the left side is usually slightly further out due to having the heart there, so it’s not as bad on that side.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: