Advanced search

Your very first labour signs!

(16 Posts)
AutumnLeavesandCandleLights Sat 02-Dec-17 10:09:52

Talk to me about what things you noticed and subtle changes that started to build up towards your big day!

Ideally 1-2 weeks before you had your baby, and not right before you went in to labour.

Had first DS 11 months ago after a magical, symptomless pregnancy, my waters went out of the blue with no signs whatsoever that they were going to go. I'm now 35 weeks with baby number two and feeling a bit like a clueless FTM with no idea what I should be looking out for!

I've had looser bowels the last few days, I'm insanely restless and irritable (though that could just be down to pregnancy insomnia coupled with seeing to an 11 month old several times a night), I have next to no appetite - I have to keep reminding myself to actually eat it's gotten that bad and a family member even commented on how it looks like I've lost weight lately despite the fact I'm heavily pregnant. My boobs have started leaking, my lower back has a very dull ache, my stomach gets the occasional 'period type' cramp a few times per day and my BH are ramping up more and more with each day that passes.
I experienced none of this a year ago, so not sure if it's anything to go by or not!

I'm due to book a date for my elective c section in one week, but have a general sense of feeling like this baby is going to cling on for another 4-5 weeks. First baby was one week early, so not ridiculously early, but I've read that a short time between pregnancies has been linked with early labour, so given that I fell pregnant about 3 months after our first DS, it's really making me think this baby isn't going to wait too much longer!

So please, fire away your pre-labour signs and symptoms! Sparing the super obvious ones if you could grin

AutumnLeavesandCandleLights Sat 02-Dec-17 12:53:17

firsttime17 Sat 02-Dec-17 13:09:20

Omg this is exactly how I've been feeling for the past 3/4 days and I'm also 35 weeks but it's my first baby! If anyone could help that would be greatsmile x

thismeansnothing Sat 02-Dec-17 13:21:01

Absolutely nothing. Sorry if that dissapoints.

Had 3 sweeps that didn't work. Woke up in the night when I was 42+3 with regular but mild contractions. No build up no warning no change in mood or anything.

LexieLulu Sat 02-Dec-17 13:24:44

I had what I call a "internal clean out", thought I needed a poo and I pretty much exploded on the loo 🙈

That was the morning before my contractions started with both.

Mucus plug a few days prior to this

DavetheCat2001 Sat 02-Dec-17 13:31:12

Yes big poo's before the event

Halfdrankbrew Sat 02-Dec-17 13:41:00

First baby I lost a bit of my plug about a week and a half before. I also had false alarms from this point on every night at about 3am, I'd have contractions for 3 hours before they stopped again. Back ache was terrible during this time too. The day the actual labour started I had agonising back ache and my boobs started to leak, I was also on the loo for a good hour in the early stages. The baby was born back to back so that would probably explain the extreme back ache.

Second baby I was a lot more switched on and realised the signs, got the same kind of backaches and braxton hicks from about the same point in time, about a week and half before. Day it started I recognised the bad backache and said to my husband it's starting. I had the same clear out with about the same amount of time to go too.

So mainly the braxton hicks revving up and backache for me.

JediStoleMyBike Sat 02-Dec-17 13:44:58

Went to the toilet at 3am one morning and didn't stop peeing for ages. Realised that I didn't feel like I was peeing at all yet there was liquid still trickling. Realised my waters had gone.
Nothing before that, three sweeps that had done nothing but loosened a bit of the plug. That's it!

Bumdishcloths Sat 02-Dec-17 13:55:34

Pretty much nothing. Lost a bit of my plug on the Friday, a bit more on the following Monday, had a sweep at 1pm on the Wednesday and began experiencing contractions at 2pm (eventually gave birth on the Friday morning but that's another story entirely!)

ThunderboltsLightning Sat 02-Dec-17 13:56:12

No warning really. I remember waking up and having a wierd sense that it might be the day, even though I was only 37 weeks so I went to work anyway and then my waters started to leak within about an hour of getting there. It was my first so I was certain I would go to at least 40wks and would need induced.

grafittiartist Sat 02-Dec-17 14:03:40

Nauseous and dizzy for a couple of days. That and the need to "cocoon" away- not be far from the house. I only realized these afterwards though.

dangle90 Sat 02-Dec-17 19:09:26

Following as I'm 34+5 with Twins and can't stop looking for signs 😂! due to be induced on the 19th!

AutumnLeavesandCandleLights Sat 02-Dec-17 19:55:15

Well my back ache/cramping is definitely getting worse and I could've sworn I had a couple of contractions earlier - probably just my mind playing tricks on me though. I'm all for this little one arriving before his due date, but 5 weeks is a little too early!

Interested to hear some more signs and symptoms you guys had in the build up to your labours smile

mummykayxxx Sat 02-Dec-17 22:34:53

Occasional braxton hicks the week before and backache! Restless nights and the couple nights before being woken up with AWFUL heartburn which I hadn't really had before.. not they bad anyway. The night it started I woke in the middle of the night for a wee.. went downstairs as heartburn was so bad and my waters went! Twice! Even after that nothing happened and was induced 24 hours later... DS born at 40+2 ... good luck smile

Halfdrankbrew Sun 03-Dec-17 00:47:18

Just thought of another, I went into obsessive nesting mode the week before and was out shopping for home things the day I went into labour both times. I knew it was starting during the shopping trip, carried on though powering through.

With my first I was sat on a sofa in Laura Ashley whilst my husband brought different wallpapers to me so I could pick. The shop assistant came over to check I was ok as I didn't look it, I didn't say I was actually in labour, I just said "yeah it's due quite soon". We went back a few days later to buy the paper and had our baby with us. The same woman saw us and said I know you said quite soon, so I told her "yeah I was in labour the other day".

Second baby I came home and hung 2 sets of new curtains I'd just bought, between contractions. They looked great grin.

If we have a 3rd I'll know when it'll be, by when I get the urge to shop for house stuff.

ethelfleda Sun 03-Dec-17 03:57:01

My waters went at 38 weeks before Labour started.
About one week before, I had a day of feeling like utter crap. Then I got a cold sore. Then I started to nest. I knew he was going to come soon after all that. First baby and everyone said I would be late but I knew he would come early!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now