Talk

Advanced search

Knowing what week you are in

(8 Posts)
itshappening Sat 02-Dec-17 00:39:02

Sorry, I have tried googling but am a bit confused.

I know that weeks one and two are before ovulation so pregnancy dated from first day of last period.

So if the first day of last period was 8 weeks ago to the day, you are 8 weeks.

BUT if a book is describing pregnancy in terms of 'week 8' or 'week 9', how exactly does that work? When you reach the date of 8 weeks as above, are you just starting week 8 or have you just finished it?

I suspect this may be a silly question, I have a mental block here maybe!

LorelaiVictoriaGilmore Sat 02-Dec-17 07:31:38

I find this really confusing too, but I'm pretty sure that you are just starting week 8 at that point. That's when people start talking about 8+1, 8+2 (as in 8 weeks and 1 day, 8 weeks and 2 days) etc.

ICanNeverThinkOfAGoodUsrname Sat 02-Dec-17 07:46:59

You start counting your pregnancy from the date of your last period so technically you're pregnant before you conceive, if you see what I'm saying.

When books/apps/whatever refer to week 8 that'll be the beginning of your 8th week. You then count your actual pregnancy like - 8+1, 8+2, 8+3, as in, 8 weeks one day and so on.

ScotsLamb Sat 02-Dec-17 08:05:57

So first day of your last period is Day 1. So if it was Monday 1st January then week 1 would be Monday 8th January. Week 2 would start Monday 15th January. Tuesday 16th would be 2 weeks + 1.

I rely on my app telling me lol

NoParticularPattern Sat 02-Dec-17 08:11:19

It does get confusing!!! But the way I see it is that when you are 8 weeks you have completed 8 weeks of pregnancy. After that day you are in your 9th week but won’t have completed 9 weeks until 9 weeks after your last period. I think it gets confusing because there are so few days in a week compared to, say, a month. It’s more obvious when you look at it in terms of months- I.e. I am 7 months pregnant today (as in I have completed 7 months of the pregnancy) but tomorrow I will start my 8th month despite being 7 and a bit months pregnant. Only once I’m 8 months pregnant do I refer to 8 months.

MissBax Sat 02-Dec-17 08:49:50

8+1/2/3 etc is your ninth week of pregnancy.

Just like in your first year of life you are under 1. As soon as you turn 1 year and 1 day you're in your second year of life.

JoJoSM2 Sat 02-Dec-17 09:46:58

It’s just like centuries. Years 1-100 are the first century. Similarly in pregnancy, there is no week 0 so days 1-7 are 1st week, days 8-14 second week etc So like MissBax says, at 8+1/2/3 you’re in your ninth week.

itshappening Sat 02-Dec-17 21:35:49

Thank you everyone. This kind of thing was never my strong point!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now