Talk

Advanced search

Gestational diabetes

(11 Posts)
stratfordgirl Fri 01-Dec-17 23:06:41

I've been diagnosed with gestational diabetes pretty late - I'm now 31 weeks and I've known for a week. I'm checking blood sugar everyday and even with managing my diet and exercising after food I'm getting some high readings - 8, 9, 9.2 (and sometimes 'normal' - there doesn't seem to be a pattern).

I'm feeling really down about it - my diet was pretty low carb (and wholefood) before pregnancy - though I admit to an orange juice binge early on and a few more carbs than I would normally - I thought I should go with what I fancy. Now really upset at thought of having to take metformin or insulin. And very worried my baby might already be very big - there's not much time to go. Anyone have any reassurance to offer?

LookImAHooman Sat 02-Dec-17 06:16:09

I ended up on insulin one week after dx (so 28 and 29w), though I was also a relatively mild case. Like you, my spikes were often unpredictable - I think that’s the hormonal nature of GD. DC came along as an absolute stonker of... 6lb 8oz wink

LookImAHooman Sat 02-Dec-17 06:18:22

Try not to worry about the prospect of medication. If it’s needed because diet control just isn’t sorting it out, it really isn’t your fault. That’s the joy of GD. The worst thing is it’s just a bit of an extra faff but at least it’s temporary and you should get great extra care in the meantime.

JoJoSM2 Sat 02-Dec-17 09:50:26

Nothing wrong with orange juice. And if you were healthy weight and had a low carb diet before pregnancy, then there’s nothing you could have done. It’s just one of those hormonal things. Luckily it’s been diagnosed so you can take appropriate meds. Don’t worry too much about it.

Rebeccaslicker Sat 02-Dec-17 12:28:56

It's not your fault. It's just that your placenta is being a massive dick.

If you need a bit of extra help, your medical team will make sure you get it. Thousands and thousands of women take metformin or insulin - i know it feels like a big deal but it really isn't. The most important thing is that you know, so you can take control. flowers

Kilicat Sun 03-Dec-17 08:09:23

Don't worry there's nothing you've done wrong and medication is only there to help you out and doesn't pose a risk to the baby.

I found the dietary advice on www.gestationaldiabetes.co.uk/ much more effective at controlling my diet than the NHS advice - maybe you've already come across the website but it really is worth a look. The NHS advice is outdated and for lots of women doesn't really help!

Fishwifey Sun 03-Dec-17 08:13:27

I had GD with my pregnancies. Baby had lots of growth scans to make sure they weren’t too hefty! Are you booked in for a growth scan?

teabagfreak Sun 03-Dec-17 08:16:42

When do you get tested for GD? I don't think I have been yet, I'm 25wks... I have a craving for sweet things at the moment too which is making me worry about getting GD (Don't know much about it to be honest 😬)

LookImAHooman Mon 04-Dec-17 07:08:56

teabag Cravings aren’t linked, don’t worry. The test isn’t routine, though I understand some areas are introducing basically a pre-test test as routine now for screening. To be tested for GD you normally have to have a risk factor, eg family history of Type 1, PCOS, high BMI, previous GD, certain level of sugar in urine.

Cantchooseaname Mon 04-Dec-17 07:15:08

It feels shit. It feels like you’ve ‘failed’ before you started. But it’s just a thing- you haven’t done anything wrong, hormones are conplex things, sometimes it doesn’t work like it should. The thing that would possibly harm baby is not taking the medication you need, or ignoring the advice to test. It will all be fine!!
Just FYI- my growth scans suggested baby was 8lb13 at 36 weeks, so they pushed induction at 38. I was TERRIFIED.
Imagine my shock to be handed 7lb3 bundle of love 2 weeks later.
Good luck and not long to go!!

Mymouthgetsmeintrouble Mon 04-Dec-17 07:37:13

I got it in my last pregnancy its not due to not eating healtily enough its just one of those things , i ended up on insulin and my baby was born at a pretty average 7lb 11oz

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now