Talk

Advanced search

Possibly exposed to measles or chicken pox- should I be worried?

(7 Posts)
LadyRenoir Fri 01-Dec-17 20:31:41

I am a school teacher. Yesterday a parent of one of my students emailed me that her son came down with spots on his body and was going to the doctor. They know I am pregnant, and I politely emailed them back to ask whether they could let me know what it was, have not heard back yet, but initially it looked like measles or chicken pox. I was vaccinated against measles in secondary school (which was like good 20 years ago) and I had chicken pox as a kid.
It's just me being paranoid, as obviously I have no clue what the child has for sure, but should not I be immune to both of these? Just trying to get some peace of mind over the weekend...

WhyTheHeckMe Fri 01-Dec-17 20:59:07

I'm 20 weeks pregnant and my little boy just had a bad bout of chickenpox. Don't worry you're fine and you also pass on immunity to baby.

leighdinglady Fri 01-Dec-17 21:04:56

If you've had chicken pox before then you're fine according to the nhs

LadyRenoir Mon 04-Dec-17 17:06:25

Yeah i think it looks more like measles if it is one anyway- would a vaccination I had all the years ago make me immune, and would it translate into baby's immunity?

NerNerNerNerBATMAN Mon 04-Dec-17 18:44:21

Are you in the UK OP?

If so, contact your local health protection team. In England this is Public Health England, in Wales its Public Health Wales. There are equivalents in NI and Scotland (and all Europe to be fair). Alternatively speak to your midwife and they will know the protocol for "exposure to rash in pregnancy, query measles" - which would involve them contacting your local health protection team.

One measles containing vaccine would give you good coverage. However, id be wanting to test your book in bloods just to make sure. These are the bloods you have at your first mw apt. They're held in the lab for this purpose.

Very common query!

Frusso Mon 04-Dec-17 19:01:00

would a vaccination I had all the years ago make me immune, and would it translate into baby's immunity?
Yes, and (whilst in utero) yes.
The risk to baby is only if you are not immune. But since you have been vaccinated you are.
And since you have also had chicken pox you also have the antibodies for that.

Loosemoose28 Tue 05-Dec-17 22:39:44

Your GP or midwife can check immunity for you on your initial booking bloods and take a new sample now to check for recent infection x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now