Talk

Advanced search

Anterior placenta and movements

(22 Posts)
hereagain99 Fri 01-Dec-17 16:04:11

Hi I am just looking for similar experiences before I start panicking for nothing smile

I am 17 weeks pregnant with my second child. I had my 13 weeks scan a few weeks ago and the sonographer said that my placenta is at the front so it may be a bit more difficult to feel the movements. Last week I had my midwife appointment and asked me about movements. I told her that I am not feeling anything at the moment and she said that I should start feeling them in the coming weeks. She also explained to me what to do if can't feel any movements and just left it there. By the way the heartbeat was lovely and strong grin

I am having my next scan just before xmas but I was wondering what other mums in similar situation have felt about movements. I don't know if the placenta has moved or if it will stay like this for the rest of the pregnancy but I guess they will tell me in my next scan.

Is it normal that I can't feel anything yet. With my first pregnancy I felt our daughter at around 19 weeks. My midwife is saying that because I am small I should feel movements soon. Does this also apply if my placenta is at the front? Sorry for so many quedtions and thank you for reading.

Simmy10 Fri 01-Dec-17 16:15:03

Hi. Saw your post and although i didnt have a front placenta i wanted to reply as i remember how worried i was during my pregnancy. My SIL placenta was at the front and she said she couldn't feel anything until towards the end of the pregnancy as I think a front placenta absorbs most of the baby movement? Was the midwife aware that your placenta was at the front? If it is causing you worry, please ring your midwife to put your mind at rest. My midwife told me that they would rather we phoned them than worried .

DaisyLand Fri 01-Dec-17 16:18:44

I’m currently 21w with anterior placenta. I feel loads of flutters since week 14 however no kicks or big movements. Some days seems like I don’t feel anything which does my head in as I’m in a constant worry.

Passmethecrisps Fri 01-Dec-17 16:21:25

Hi op. Congratulations on your pregnancy.

I had an anterior placenta with my second and felt no movements until 22 weeks. I never felt the huge rolling moves that I did with dd1. That could be just different babies but the placenta did cushion movements

hereagain99 Fri 01-Dec-17 16:25:53

Thank you ladies for your responses.

DaisyLand that's how I have suddenly started after thinking about the conversation. It's my fifth pregnancy and only 1DC which I guess makes me worry more. I can feel weird things in my belly but I think it is more my digestive system as it has gone wild, lots of trapped wind sad which it isn't pleasant.

Thank you again

reetgood Fri 01-Dec-17 16:27:22

Yep, pretty sure I didn’t really feel anything until about 20-22 weeks. Also, I never felt anything like bubbles or pops or kicks. This baby just seems to ..... loom. I could often feel what felt like a bum or a head poking out at one side. Even now at 35 weeks he just seems to stretch in various uncomfortable ways rather than the kicks that some people describe!

I think at 28 weeks I discussed with midwife how I didn’t feel able to nail down any discernible pattern. So I downloaded the kicks count app and recorded every time I felt what counted as a movement eg him sticking his bum out (which is what it feels like!). I did for a couple of days. That was good as it helped me to tune into what it felt like for me and the pattern. There is kind of a pattern...

But to stress, I didn’t really feel much until after 20 weeks.

Girlwiththearabstrap Fri 01-Dec-17 16:36:49

I had an anterior placenta with my daughter. I didn't feel movement till about 20/22 weeks and it wasn't flutters so I don't know if the small movements got sort of muffled by it. The advice I got at the time was that they don't advise you to monitor movement till after 24 weeks as before then baby is small and it can be sporadic. And even with an anterior placenta you should still be able to feel a distinct pattern of movement by that later stage.

InappropriateUsername Fri 01-Dec-17 16:39:03

I have an anterior too am currently 24 weeks and started feeling gentle movements at 14 weeks then nothing until 21 weeks and can feel him moving about now but still gentle compared to my other pregnancies as mine were/are little balls of energy!

loveacupoftea18 Fri 01-Dec-17 16:39:38

I have an anterior placenta with my first baby - I’m 23 weeks.

Your placenta will stay in the same place and it definitely masks movement unfortunately! However this week I’m beginning to feel my baby kick more, mostly at the sides of my tummy!

hereagain99 Fri 01-Dec-17 16:45:56

Thank you very much ladies. DD was always on the move and I could feel everything. I know that each pregnancy is different but anything out of the ordinary makes me panic.

I guess that I will have to wait and see what happens in the coming weeks. On my 13 weeks scan the baby didn't stop moving which was a relieve but not being able to feel anything is hard as it makes me wonder if everything is ok. At least now I know that movements will be felt differently and that I will need to work out the pattern for this baby.

Hopefully when it properly starts I will be able relax a bit more smile

genever Fri 01-Dec-17 16:47:26

I had anterior placenta both times and it was really difficult to feel movements through it.

Mummyh2016 Fri 01-Dec-17 17:53:27

I first had movements at 19 weeks with anterior placenta, I wouldn’t say I ever had a pattern of movements throughout the whole of my pregnancy.

Loosemoose28 Fri 01-Dec-17 18:30:57

I have a low lying anterior placenta. Only just feeling popping this week. First baby and now 20 weeks.

monkey1978 Fri 01-Dec-17 18:58:52

I have an anterior placenta and I didn't feel anything at all until a few days after my 20 week scan. I was reassured by my midwife that it is perfectly normal with an anterior placenta

Binglesplodge Fri 01-Dec-17 19:20:22

That's really normal with an anterior placenta, don't worry.

My first ds was a posterior placenta, I was really slim and first felt him at 13/14 weeks.

This one is an anterior placenta and I was very worried when I still hadn't really felt anything at 20ish weeks. I gradually felt a little more and now at 32 weeks I can't miss him: he's constantly trying to stick his heels through my stomach!

mrssmith1415 Fri 01-Dec-17 20:56:27

I am 17 weeks too and my scan notes say placenta position unclear so I have no idea what it’s doing but my midwife mentioned that she thinks mine may be anterior because she detected the heartbeat straight away and could hear strong kicks. This week I’ve started to feel flutters quite low down (bikini line). I feel really sad about the thought of not being able to feel as many movements as my last pregnancy because it was a big bonding factor for me and DH 😞 hope you get some movement soon xx

thaigreencurry82 Fri 01-Dec-17 23:27:16

Mine’s anterior and didn’t feel anything at all until 21 weeks.

mummyG2C Sat 02-Dec-17 17:58:25

I had an anterior with my first two years ago and I felt barely anything the whole time (she was also breech all along so probably didn't help!) but luckily being my first didn't worry excessively just learnt what was her norm and kept and eye on things even though it was nowhere near what everyone else I knew experienced and it did worry me a little! Now 25 weeks with no2 with a lateral/posterior placenta and omg the difference is insane I can't believe how little I felt before!! But it really was just getting to know the norm for your baby and what you feel and following your gut instincts with it, good luck!

flowa79 Sat 02-Dec-17 20:13:40

Congrats on your pregnancy smile
Im 28+2 with anterior placenta and only felt light flutters from 20w onwards. Now tho he is moving a storm different to my others (he baby 4) but still letting me know he there.

Usernamegone Sat 02-Dec-17 20:31:34

My placenta is anterior and I didn’t feel anything until in was gone 22 weeks and then only the gentlist movements.

Rebeccaslicker Sat 02-Dec-17 21:28:55

My first was posterior and I felt her from 17 weeks. And even then I worried about movement because I had GD and she was facing inwards a lot.

This one is sodding anterior and I'm 22 weeks and just getting the occasional poke. It's very disconcerting! So you're not alone.

hereagain99 Sun 03-Dec-17 09:00:23

Thank you very much ladies for sharing your experiences. It does comfort me knowing that it is normal as I was starting to worry a bit.

It is hard when we have had so many unsuccessful pregnancies and anything makes us worry a bit more now. At least now we know that it can take a while to feel the movements and it won't be the same that with my previous successful pregnancy.

Thank you again, you are all amazing

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now