Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

6 weeks scan - gestational and yolk sac, no embryo

(16 Posts)
Bettybecks12 Fri 01-Dec-17 13:20:39

Hi all, I had my 6 week scan today but all they could see was the gestational sac and the yolk sac - I was told to come back in two weeks. My gestational sac measured 18mm (mean) and from what I've read, there should be an embryo visible by now with that size of sac. Has anyone been in the same boat and had a positive outcome?

Thanks.

Thecaravan Fri 01-Dec-17 13:37:53

Hi I had a scan at 6 weeks exactly (ivf so knew dates). There was a correctly sized gestational sac (as yours seems to be) but nothing else, no yolk sac or fetal pole. After a very tense week we went back and there was our little peanut with a clear yolk sac and heartbeat. They're so tiny at this stage that they can be hard to detect even with a trans vaginal scan. I know it's not always a positive outcome and that we were lucky but don't give up hope. Am sitting here now with our 8 week old little girl but remember just how stressful the not knowing was. Wishing you all the best flowers

m0therofdragons Fri 01-Dec-17 14:31:56

I had the same and went back 10 days later to establish if I'd "miscarried fully". My "non viable" pregnancy had developed into 2 healthy babies - ID twins. 6 week scans aren't able to see everything. I don't want to give false hope but don't give up yet. I remember the time between scans being horrendous and feeling like forever.

CrmbleBee Sun 03-Dec-17 07:15:17

6 weeks is very early for a scan- I purposely held off on having one until 8 weeks because of the amount of worry they can cause- I've seen lots of stories on here similar to yours but generally with a positive outcome. The waiting is dreadful though. Keep us posted, try not to worry. x

Bettybecks12 Tue 05-Dec-17 14:41:29

Thanks all for your feedback - 10 more sleeps and I'll know more. I take my morning sickness now being in full swing as a good sign.

EastDulwichWife Tue 05-Dec-17 16:15:28

I had a scan at 5+6 and they could see sac and yolk but nothing else. A scan at 6+6 showed a fetal pole and very healthy heartbeat! Try not to worry - they are so tiny at this stage it’s impossible to date correctly! Fingers crossed for you OP. X

Bettybecks12 Wed 06-Dec-17 16:54:08

Thank you - the reason why I had the scan so early was because of my previous miscarriage and the doctor suggested I go in for an early scan next time. In hindsight, I should have waited until I'm 8 weeks - what's the point really, going at 6 weeks, it could go either way, regardless...!

m0therofdragons Wed 13-Dec-17 21:52:46

@Bettybecks12 did you get any news? Been thinking of you today thanks

Bettybecks12 Fri 15-Dec-17 18:03:24

Hello, yes, there is an update! I went for my follow up scan today and the little bean has grown the way it should have. I'm meant to be 8 weeks today, it measured 7+6 with a strong heart rate, so am not fussed about that one day it's off. I was so relieved i started crying! So Edd is now 28th July smile. Fingers crossed it'll all go well until the next scan in Jan. Thanks for all for your feedback and support - have a lovely and relaxing Christmas.

Rebeccaslicker Fri 15-Dec-17 18:31:05

Yay!!!

Rebeccaslicker Fri 15-Dec-17 18:31:57

Also, look at the size of what they are measuring - it's tiny. One mm one way or the other and your date will change by a day or more! So one day is definitely within the margin of sonographer measuring anyway smile

Bettybecks12 Sat 16-Dec-17 18:35:26

...where’s the ‘like’-button when you need it grin. Yes, completely agree. Also, my fiancé made a joke after I had calmed down saying he usually only cries when Arsenal loses while the doc was still taking pictures and measuring - we all started laughing, so that may have caused the measurements to be a day off, haha.

LittleBirdBlues Sat 16-Dec-17 18:44:43

@bettybecks12 that's wonderful news! Come and join us at the July due date group smile

Ss1767 Mon 08-Jan-18 18:40:52

Hi all, I’m new here....I’m 43 yo female with 12 yo son and 3 failed IVf .Currently pregnant naturally(surprise) @6wk.went to doctors today and in TVS ,technician could see 4.3 M.M. sac and yolk but no fetal pole.i have been asked for rescan in 10 days.what are my odds.Im extremely worried and anxious.

m0therofdragons Tue 09-Jan-18 23:40:38

@Ss1767 the early scans are really unreliable as it's all just so small. Really hope the next scan gives you the news you want thanks

sizeofalentil Tue 09-Jan-18 23:44:47

I had the same thing. I'm typing this with a two week old baby asleep on my chest. Everything worked out ok in the end.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: