Talk

Advanced search

Flights to India Refund?

(14 Posts)
Shaskew01 Fri 01-Dec-17 10:28:09

Hi,

My wife and I booked flights to India about 6 months ago for travel in February with Jet Airways through a company called Travel Trolley.

We found out 2 weeks ago that she is pregnant is now approx. 8 weeks. The nurse at the GP surgery has advised her yesterday that she is unable to have the inoculations she needs to travel to India.

If we get this in writing from the GP should we be able to get a full refund on our flights??

My wife has travel insurance with her bank account, should we claim for a refund direct to the Airline or through travel insurance?

Any advice or similar experiences would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

blondielocks29 Fri 01-Dec-17 13:11:38

I'd approach the airline first, you never know, they might be able to do something and it would most likely be quicker than claiming through insurance.

If not then go through the insurance and hopefully they might be able to get you your money back. Although are you covered through her insurance? Potentially she might get her ticket refunded but you might not?

TittyGolightly Fri 01-Dec-17 13:13:10

Pregnancy is usually not covered. You’ve no rights to a refund from the airline or agent.

TittyGolightly Fri 01-Dec-17 13:15:10

So no, no right to a refund. You may get something as hiifwill

TittyGolightly Fri 01-Dec-17 13:15:23

Goodwill

DaisyLand Fri 01-Dec-17 13:44:06

My insurance says you can get a refund as long as it's a high risk pregnancy or you've a problem with the pregnancy that doesnt allow you travelling.

Check your insurance, but I'd say unless airline is willing to change your tickets then you're not entitled to a refund

PotteringAlong Fri 01-Dec-17 13:45:15

No, you’ll probably loose the money

BikeRunSki Fri 01-Dec-17 13:50:18

Pregnancy is usually excluded from travel insurance.

Shaskew01 Fri 01-Dec-17 18:40:52

Thanks guys, will try our luck!

blondielocks29 Sat 02-Dec-17 17:20:10

I managed to get a full refund on my flights/holiday between my insurance and holiday provider due to Zika virus and pregnancy.

My doctor advised me against all but essential travel to the area (that was affected) and obviously a holiday isn't essential travel....so slightly different situation to you but it's worth a try.

TakeMe2Insanity Sun 03-Dec-17 03:39:01

The key to getting anywhere with the insurance company is getting your gp or a private gp to put down in writing that they have advised against the injections and then the insurance may agree.

LuchiMangsho Sun 03-Dec-17 03:42:19

What innoculations do you need? As far as I am aware there is only BCG as a potential extra. I have been to India twice during two pregnancies but I was born there so it wasn't a holiday per se. I had no problems and excellent antenatal care while I was there.

BigBaboonBum Sun 03-Dec-17 06:36:20

Not unless they do it through goodwill, and lots do, it’s just that their policy doesn’t usually include pregnancy so if they chose to be dicky about it then you have no grounds... failing that you can usually ask to transfer them to somebody else’s name so somebody else could use them

butterflycatcher Sun 03-Dec-17 16:20:10

India has reported cases of Zika virus too, no? Could this be used to support your refund case?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now