Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Annoyed with work

(9 Posts)
Lilleahw Thu 30-Nov-17 20:08:06

Hi all, just a rant really. I told work early on about my pregnancy due to the nature of my work and knew there would need to be a risk assessment done - but I asked my managers to keep it confidential until I had had my 12 week scan. I was promised it would be kept confidential for as long as I want. I walked in this morning to a colleague saying "Oh, Mark told me you're expecting another." Mark is one of my managers, and I confronted him and he said it had just slipped. I'm just annoyed as I have another 2 and half weeks before my scan and I really didn't want to share the news if there's anything unusual on the day 🙁

MagicMoneyTree Thu 30-Nov-17 20:42:04

I’d make it absolutely fucking clear to Mark that he’s massively out of order and you’re really fucked off about it. Do you have an HR dept?

Lilleahw Thu 30-Nov-17 20:50:19

Yes I do. I'm 50/50 wether or not to take it any further as generally he is a good guy. Even though I've been in a management position and know there's just some things you keep your mouth shut about and cannot discuss.

MagicMoneyTree Thu 30-Nov-17 20:55:15

You can still firmly let him know you’ve found his behaviour unprofessional and unacceptable without making it official/ taking it further. I would. Lots of people haven’t even told their families before the 12 week scan. I would want an apology at the very least. I’d maybe make a point about waiting for the scan for a reason... what if it’s not good news? Is he going to tell everyone he’s gossiped to then? It’s not a trivial thing and I’d make him feel like a nob if I were you.

Expectingbsbunumber2 Thu 30-Nov-17 22:23:41

It slipped? I would be massively annoyed at mark!!

Misslemon01 Thu 30-Nov-17 22:38:35

This happened to me too... two senior managers told others who related it back to me. When I asked them, they just said oh oh it was a mistake. A mistake?? Not sure I’d pursue with HR - would make it awkward without any real consequence. They can’t untell those colleagues.

ForeverHopeful21 Fri 01-Dec-17 12:43:33

This is terribly unprofessional and you have every right to complain. He might be a nice person but he isn't a very good manager if he goes blabbing confidential information to your colleagues.

I'd be furious! And as someone who used to work in HR - I'd definitely go and talk to them. It doesn't have to be an official complaint or anything, but I'd let them know whats happened and how disappointed you are.

Lilleahw Fri 01-Dec-17 16:15:28

Thank you for all your input will have a think about what I want to do over the weekend.

Glitterandunicorns Fri 01-Dec-17 16:28:36

I agree with @MagicMoneyTree. However, I think I would report him to HR for it purely because you have shared private medical information with him as your manager and he's breached that confidentiality. What if your private medical information was less positive? What if the news is not good at the scan? (God forbid)

I don't think it's enough at all to say that it slipped. I would be absolutely furious.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: