Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Viability Scan

(3 Posts)
peachesarenom Thu 30-Nov-17 19:16:56

It was my first antenatal appointment today. They panicked a bit due to my curvy nature and family history of diabetes. They said lots of things very quickly. I was there for over two hours! They are going to treat me as if I have gestational diabetes just in case.

Anyway, they gave me a viability scan right there and then! Vaginal! Anyway long story short, I saw a little heart beat at 6 weeks! Aww!

Ct17218 Thu 30-Nov-17 22:06:38

Congrats!

I found that being a chubber has its perks while pregnant, as you get extra scans! However I didn’t appreciate the rudeness of some midwives in regards to my size ( 16) even when I’m 7months! Best of luck with your pregnancy!! Xx

dkb15164 Thu 30-Nov-17 23:23:36

You have to understand that midwives see obesity or overweight women similar to smokers: it's a danger and it makes them worry about the baby, and about being sued if something happens to the baby through no fault of their own. I have a close friends whose a midwife and while a size 16 herself she says she worries about babies being knocked about while underneath the extra weight, she worries every time she takes an extra 5 minutes to find the heartbeat, she worries that the mums not getting the right nutrition to the baby. The statistics prove the risk: as a teen mum I also feel that judgement but now I know it's because I beat the odds to have a healthy pregnancy and the midwives helped me to do that by showing their disapproval when I wasn't taking my folic acids or making all my appointments on time: they keep me on track.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: