Talk

Advanced search

Talk to me about induction... Facing one on Tuesday and frightened

(15 Posts)
redfragglebiker Thu 30-Nov-17 11:36:05

So as the title says I'm facing an induction on Tuesday. This is my first child and I'm currently exactly 41 weeks, I'll be 41+5 for the induction.
Had one sweep which did nothing, have another booked for tomorrow.
I've heard some awful things about being induced so would love to hear some real world experiences as I have no idea what to expect.

Cinnamus Thu 30-Nov-17 11:42:26

It's fine!
I was induced with my first.
Have an epidural for the pain.
I really enjoyed the experience. It was a magical childbirth thanks to pain relief

RefuseTheLies Thu 30-Nov-17 11:45:17

It’s fine. It’s not a bundle of laughs, but childbirth generally isn’t. Take the pain relief though smile

SemperTemper Thu 30-Nov-17 11:45:45

I had a long induction. It could go either way for you so hope for the best and don't be shy about asking for pain relief. For me, the pushing was the shortest and easiest part.

Good luck and remember that you'll be cuddling your precious bundle soon!

Sunnydays1980 Thu 30-Nov-17 11:46:01

I was induced too with my first. Just make sure that you definitely have pain relief, I didn't and it was pretty tough. I was given syntocin drip and was fully dilated in 4 hours. Depends what they are giving you for the induction.

pulpi Thu 30-Nov-17 11:51:45

My induction was short. They put the pessary in and after it came out, nothing happened for about 4 hours. Then, after an hour of sleep, I got up at 1am to pee and my waters went. 20 hours later (only 3.5 of which was real labour, the rest was early labour and pretty tame by comparison) DS was born.

Everyone has a different experience with induction. Relax (as much as you can), move lots (deep knee bends and lunges), and bring several books because my god, the first pessary part is dead boring.

knottybeams Thu 30-Nov-17 11:54:18

DD : induced at term plus 12. Pessary alone enough to get going, so still went to the birth suite and laboured in the pool. Still needed pethidine and ended up with forceps in theatre as failed to progress because she was back to back. Honestly though, it was fine, I was home next day.

DS : induced at term plus 12 again. Broke waters this time. No drip. Active labour, kept mobile etc. 4 hours later, DS arrived. Only thing that kept us overnight was waiting for the baby check.

knottybeams Thu 30-Nov-17 11:55:15

Oh and with DS, all done with gas and air.

Coveryourmouth Thu 30-Nov-17 11:55:25

I was induced with my second and skipped the pessary and went straight to the drip. DD2 was born less than 90 mins later having been 3-4cm at the start! No more painful than a spontaneous labour ime but much more intense due to speed and going from nothing to constant contractions. I had gas and air both times but an epidural was offered. If I was planning a third I wouldn't be worried by another induction. Good luck!

Rebeccaslicker Thu 30-Nov-17 11:58:12

Mine didn't go anywhere (but I was only 37 weeks), so ended up with a c section - all very calm and relaxed.

Friends who've had more success say just get the pain relief set up properly first because once it starts it can get v intense - then you should be fine.

Don't overthink it if you can, would be my advice. Literally thousands of women across the world have an induction every day; it's very commonplace. Try and relax as best you can between now and then.

riddlerdiddler Thu 30-Nov-17 12:10:59

I've had two very straightforward inductions - the second only 7 weeks ago so still fresh in my mind!

Like you, I was nearing the 42 week point so that seemed to work in my favour and both babies just needed a bit of a nudge to get things moving. Hopefully your experience will be similar and you won't require too much intervention.

First time round i had the pessary in the evening which got things going and DS was born at 10am the following day. He was a ventouse delivery as he got a bit stuck and i suffered a tear but repair and recovery went smoothly. When i was induced with DD i was examined and told that there was no point in the pessary as i was already 3 cm dilated. They broke my waters and she arrived 2 hours later with no further help. A bit fast and furious but all fine! I had nothing but gas and air for both deliveries but not because i'm a martyr, it just didn't occur to me to ask for anything else! Particularly the first time round, i was waiting for the pain to get totally unbearable and found that it never really did. I coped just fine as things progressed despite being VERY anxious prior to the birth. I hope your experience is similar. Good luck!!!!

KatnissK Thu 30-Nov-17 12:14:26

I was induced at 40+3 after waters broke, passing meconium but no contractions starting. I was put straight on a drip. It took a long time for things to get going for me but got there in the end and had DS the next day. I would recommend an epidural. I didn't have one and regretted it. Good luck!

Kittykat93 Thu 30-Nov-17 12:18:13

I was induced at 38 weeks. I had two propess pessaries which got me to 3cm dilated then went on to the drip. I won't lie the drip really cranked things up so I opted for an epidural which was bliss ! I then watched a film till I was fully dilated. I did have a long pushing stage and had to have some assistance but bear in mind I was only 38 weeks so he probably wasn't ready to make an appearance ! Just take the pain relief if needed is my advice. Good luck !!!

redfragglebiker Thu 30-Nov-17 12:55:44

Thank you all for replying and sharing how it was for you. I think a lot of the fear comes from not knowing what to expect so reading all your comments had been a great help. I'm so done with being pregnant now so am very much ready to meet our DD!

SilverLinings2014 Thu 30-Nov-17 14:12:53

I had a long induction but that was at 39 weeks and I’m sure it was because she just wasn’t ready to come. 5 long days between first pessary and birth, 20 hours actually in labour.

I’m sure at nearly 42 weeks you must be nearly ready so it will hopefully be fine flowers

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: