Talk

Advanced search

Do I need to have the flu jab?

(34 Posts)
NooNooHead1981 Wed 29-Nov-17 13:54:12

I'm 10w3d and when I saw my mw at the booking appointment, she advised me to get the flu jab.

I had the flu years and years ago when on a university trip to New York, and it was utterly awful. I felt really really ill. I do know that the complications during pregnancy and risk to the baby are higher but as I have had a severe adverse reaction to antipsychotic medication in the past that left me with a permanent drug induced movement disorder, I am quite reluctant to put anything into my body that could cause potential adverse reaction again.

I know thet chances of this are pretty low with the flu jab, and the health of me and my baby is paramount during pregnancy but the thought of having it and something happening like a bad reaction really puts me off. On the other hand, if I don't have it and end up being really ill with the flu, I will be kicking myself.

It's so hard to know what to do... hmm confused

LumpySpaceCow Wed 29-Nov-17 14:00:12

It's up to you. It is advised that pregnant women get it - some do and some don't. I've had it it but have never had any drug reactions and have asthma so would be even more compromised if I got the flu! The vaccine passes on some protection to baby but flu season should be well and truly over by the time your baby is born!

mindutopia Wed 29-Nov-17 18:11:00

Have you ever had a bad reaction to a jab in the past? If you have no reason to believe you are allergic to any of the components, I would definitely get it. I would think you're much more likely to have a bad reaction to the actual flu or to flu treatments, particularly if you are seriously ill and in hospital, than to the vaccine, give your history. Flu is awful and can have serious consequences when you're pregnant, so unless you know you can't have it, I would get it done. But obviously, it's always your choice.

Usernamegone Wed 29-Nov-17 18:20:09

Could you discuss your concerns with your GP and get some advice concerning the likehood of a reaction. Flu during pregnancy can be very serious -

www.gov.uk/government/news/report-reveals-36-women-died-from-flu-in-3-years

BigBaboonBum Wed 29-Nov-17 18:34:40

I nearly died last pregnancy from flu. Honestly just get it, flu isn’t the same when you’re pregnant.. it just tears through you. Just get he jab in my opinion

JoJoSM2 Wed 29-Nov-17 18:41:08

Have you thought to seek further medical advice from your doctor?
I'm off to get my flu jab in a few days and was very keen too but it was an easy decision as I haven't got the additional problems.

mogulfield Thu 30-Nov-17 04:03:37

Ive had proper flu and it was bloody awful (as you’ll know from when you had it). I remember thinking at the time ‘I see how people die from this’.
I’m currently suffering with a cold whilst 28 weeks pregnant and I do feel terrible, extra tired, longer to recover and get over it etc.
I had the flu jab and am glad I did, I can’t imagine flu whilst pregnant. Didn’t feel any effects at all after it.

BellatrixLestrangleyou Thu 30-Nov-17 04:37:21

I read in the news the other day that the latest flu jab is useless anyway because they developed it last year and the flu strain has already mutated into a stronger one which the jab is useless against confused personally id be looking into the ingredients and benefits before making any decisions its a lot more serious than just a quick jab

mogulfield Thu 30-Nov-17 04:50:47

@bellatrixlestrangleyou I’m curious where you read that? I have friends who are doctors and we discussed the flu jab this week and they wholeheartedly endorsed this seasons and the benefits etc.

You’re 5 times more likely to have a stillborn pregnancy if you contract flu.

It’s understandable you want extra reassurance so speak to your Gp, I’m sure they can reassure you ref: ingredients and your previous reaction to the antipsychotic drug.

BellatrixLestrangleyou Thu 30-Nov-17 05:22:01

www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.express.co.uk/news/uk/877313/Virus-nhs-winter-flu-injection-mutated-ineffective-ill/amp

mogulfield Thu 30-Nov-17 08:12:05

Thanks for the article.
If it’s a true that’s a shame, but it’s the express... the article isn’t conclusive and even they admit it’s better to get The jab as it does offer some protection, as opposed to none.
The article states it’s least effective in over 65s, but my main concern is protection in pregnancy. (Not that I don’t care about the over 65s!) smile

LMX0 Thu 30-Nov-17 09:40:42

Sorry for jumping on but i have a question about the flu jab, i went to the doc on Monday and he talked me into getting it but couple days layer it came up in a red bump n was a little sore, now today it has went down but is itchy & sore to touch is this normal? Im assuming so but just would like to make sure 😊

greendale17 Thu 30-Nov-17 09:44:47

*You’re 5 times more likely to have a stillborn pregnancy if you contract flu. *

^This. I would definitely would get the flu jav

Minimonkeysmum Thu 30-Nov-17 09:46:41

I'm currently pregnant and have had it. This years flu season is predicted to be particularly bad, and the side effects of the jab are nothing in comparison to getting flu when your immune system response is lower than normal due to pregnancy.

I had a slightly sore arm, but nothing else.

The jab isn't live, so you can't get flu from it, but as it's given during the winter people often attribute their colds etc to the jab, when it's something different.

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Thu 30-Nov-17 09:51:52

Sounds completely normal, LMX0.

This year’s Flu jab doesn’t work is a perennial express favourite, I think. But like coldest winter ever.

I can’t find anything official that suggests this years Northern hemisphere flu jab is less effective than usual against circulating strains, but it’s probably a bit early for any actual data.

LMX0 Thu 30-Nov-17 09:57:56

Thats good to hear its just better to be safer than sorry and my doc advised me to get it as he said there have been quite a few serious cases doing the rounds

NooNooHead1981 Thu 30-Nov-17 12:53:45

Thanks for all your replies.

Yes, the whole stillbirth risk etc does worry me. But so does an adverse reaction. I have the most stupid movement disorder tardive dyskinesia that was caused by medication that was meant to help and make me better, instead I'm left with something incurable and permanent that is socially stigmatising etc and more likely to be exacerbated by other drugs and meds etc. I once took a calcium vitamin pill (which you would think was innocuous enough), and it set off a dystonic reaction in me, which was bloody ridiculous.

Like you say though, the risk of complications from flu etc to me and my baby are likely to be much more serious than the jab itself.

I think I'll make a doc appointment next week and ask my GP's advice on risks etc and side effects for me.

StarUtopia Thu 30-Nov-17 13:58:46

You’re 5 times more likely to have a stillborn pregnancy if you contract flu.

^This. I would definitely would get the flu jab

REALLY??! Where's the evidence for this?!

Probably missing like the evidence of how safe the flu jab actually is for a baby in the womb.

I did have it when pregnant before I really knew just how 'untested' this jab is - obviously completely untested on a foetus as no pregnant women would undergo the testing.

I definitely would never ever have it again whilst pregnant. In reality, yes you have a miniscule chance of getting the flu. You also run the risk of getting killed every time you get in a car.

LMX0 Thu 30-Nov-17 15:45:44

@NooNooHead1981 Thats awful poor you!!! Yes i think your best bet os to do as much research as you can and speak to your own doctor as they will know about your situation and should be able to advise you

mogulfield Thu 30-Nov-17 19:24:57

star it was on the nhs website.
noonoo I hope you get some clarity either way from speaking to your Gp smile

peachesarenom Thu 30-Nov-17 19:31:11

I was booked in to have mine next Tues but at my first antenatal appt today the midwife said I shouldn't have one till 16 weeks. Has anyone else heard this?

pastabest Thu 30-Nov-17 19:40:05

Star except it has been 'tested' by pregnant women. Millions of pregnant women have taken it and gone on to have healthy babies.

There is no evidence that the flu jab causes any harm in pregnancy. If there was it would be withdrawn immediately (like the vast majority of medicines) and pregnant women would just have to take their chances against the flu.

I got my flu jab last year whilst pregnant and I've had it already this year and I'm only 12 weeks pregnant.

LMX0 Thu 30-Nov-17 21:02:09

@peachesarenom no i havnt heard that i got mine the other day and im only 5+4 why are u meant to wait?

peachesarenom Thu 30-Nov-17 21:04:33

LMX0 I'm really paranoid about flu so I think I might just go ahead on tues.

LMX0 Thu 30-Nov-17 23:03:58

@peachesarenom You have to do what you think is best for you and your baby i think most docs will try n talk you into getting it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now