Induction due to reduced movements - advice(14 Posts)
I've not posted on here for ages but I'm feeling so troubled and want some impartial advice.
I'm 37+2 and have been seen 8 times on a trace (plus another booked for Friday) for reduced movement since week 27. I have had a total of 7 scans - plus another booked for Friday. This is my second pregnancy and very different than the first. I sailed through on the movement front (and the labour). Everything looks ok, the traces are fine albeit I've had two in the last week which he only moved oh so slightly on... just a gentle movement. I'm being seen every other day now with a scan a week until I deliver. The dreaded words 'induction' have been mentioned and are bought up at every trace.
I've seen various consultants and doctors and the plan is to get me to 38-39 weeks before they induce to give me the best opportunity for induction to actually work. Apparently the closer you are to week 37, the less chance there is it'll work. I'm also having a sweep tomorrow as a gentle approach to try to get things moving.
I'm sat here feeling like I'm between a rock and a hard place. My baby's safety is at the front of my mind but as long as the traces and scans are ok, is sort of rather wait to see if a natural labour starts. He is moving but the gaps are big between movements 5-9 hours and at times the movements are so subtle. He's big, 97th percentile. My son was 9 pounds 14, arriving 10 days late naturally and on the 95th percentile. This little man is measuring around 7 pounds as of last Friday so weight isn't an issue. I feel like I'm pushing against nature to force labour (also terrified of induction but I need to put that aside... baby first).
Friday when I have my appointment with the trace and scan (have another trace and the sweep tomorrow) if the sweep hasn't worked they want to make a 'plan' which I assume means booking induction. Do I limp along and wait until I'm worried or am I being totally stupid? I'm feeling SO overwhelmed, I'm struggling to make any sort of decision. Hubby just wants to get him out as the worry is awful but when I have a good movement day like I did yesterday, I feel like I'd be ok to hang out. Then today, 5 hours to feel anything after nothing whatsoever ALL night makes me worried sick.
To add to it all, we're living on a building site as we're having an extension but due to be finished 20/12. I assumed I'd be overdue (due 27/12 so never thought we'd be in this position... yes I know, also stupid!)
Helps ladies. Feeling anxious, overwhelmed and worried.
So sorry you are going through so much stress. I was induced at 37+2 as my waters broke and they were concerned about infection.
I guess the benefit of having an induction now is that the baby will be out either by the induction or CS. But if the medical staff are happy to keep monitoring then that is an option also.
Sorry not much help but
How horribly worrying and stressful for you.
My DS was induced at 37+2. All I would say is that it was a gradual build-up when they used a pessary, but once they put me on a drip and broke my waters, things got very full-on very quickly. If I was going to do it again, I’d insist on an epidural first.
I’m so sorry you’re experiencing this level of stress while being so pregnant. I was induced with my first baby at 37+2 for reduced movements. Similar to you I was being closely monitored and they just decided it wasn’t worth the wait. The whole experiences was drawn out and difficult (first baby/early induction/etc...) but got there in the end - took 5 days!!!!
Recently had my second child and had to be induced for my own health reasons. This time at 39 weeks I went in at 8am and my 8:30pm I was holding my DS. I’m not sure how you feel about pain relief but I had an epidural both times and it was great! All the midwives said being induced at 38-39 weeks with baby 2 means that induction has a much greater rate for success. I would ask to speak to someone about it - talk through the pros/cons/time line/what exactly will happen. First time round I really regret not doing that as I had no idea what was going on!!
Good luck I hope that everything goes smoothly for you and LO.
I was in this position with DD - they wanted to induce at 36 weeks but I wanted to wait a bit. Then when we came back to the ward one night, the poor poor couple opposite us were being given the worst news ever. It broke my heart even though we did our best to draw the curtains and not hear. I asked to have her brought the very next day and was induced at 37+1 - she was fine.
If you are comfortable waiting, and are having regular checks, and your medical team are happy, hang on a bit if you want. If you are at all concerned, have the induction - then your baby will be here safely. The fact that the induction might not work is a much smaller concern than that you could lose your baby or that it might take a while.
I ended up with a c section after 18 hours - all very calm and easy - but my best friend just had an induction and although it was more painful, the baby arrived swiftly and safely.
Lots of luck with whatever you choose. Just listen to your instincts and your medical team on those movements would be my advice.
I was Induced at 36+7 for reduced movements. He was born the next day. Don’t worry about inductions they try to do it naturally first by breaking your water and see how you get on. The drip isn’t that bad and the main goal is to get the baby out safely
I was induced at 38 weeks for gestational diabetes. I could have gone longer but I found the extra checks and scans stressful - always worrying what they'd find on the next one. Wanted to get it over with and get DD here!
She was born at 38+2. It took a long time to get going as my body really wasn't interested in going into labour at that point. Had pessary for 24 hrs which didn't do much, then gel which did a bit, then up to labour ward to have waters broken which got things moving. I had an epidural before they put the drip up as the contractions are very intense - would recommend doing this.
As above, I was Induced with number 1 for RFM (at 40+1). Pessary failed so I had the drip, and would strongly recommend epidural for the drip as the contractions are very intense.
In your situation, I would honestly go with what the medical team suggested. Have they given any indication as to why you are experiencing reduced movements?
From your post, it just seems like 'waiting it out' is going to cause you even further anxiety.
Good luck.with everything.
Hi Lucy space cow.... no, no indication. The sweep couldn't happen last night sadly. He's only 3/5ths engaged which means the gap was too big between him and and my cervix, allowing a gap which the cord could sip through. So it was abandoned. Gave me a Clary Sage massage bless them though. Lovely midwives.
All scans and monitoring looks ok. Initially last night the first 10 minutes of my trace were poor, with little variance in heart rate but it did pick up massively and I got the blue tick eventually. Also lots of contractions being detected so that's something i guess.
Back at the hospital tomorrow again for another scan and trace. Praying all ok again. Worrying Time.
If you have had 10 mins of a poor trace and repeated reduction in movements for so long, I would be asking for an induction NOW. I am amazed they sent you home. You are past term. If the baby needs help that can only be given once he's born.
Keep sending me home and bringing me back every other day. I'm so exhausted.
I'm 38 weeks in a couple of days so I think they'll be recommending induction next week. They were not at all keen this week as they were 'satisfied' that he was stable but going forward, want him out.
Join the discussion
Please login first.