Advanced search

Spd

(20 Posts)
user1499786242 Tue 28-Nov-17 17:40:38

Anyone else suffering?
Had it mildly towards the end of my last pregnancy
But this time I've been really struggling since 8/9 weeks
Have been given co codamol to take which I am doing reluctantly
Also have been referred for Physio but I'm feeling so anxious about how on earth im going to cope another 6 months of this pain whilst looking after a toddler!
Today it's so bad I couldn't face leaving the house!
Also worried about any permanent or future problems it might cause!
Anyone else?

Sparkle331 Tue 28-Nov-17 17:44:56

I did have it and you have my sympathies it was horrendous!
Rest as much as possible! And see a physio, No hot baths as this can make it worse! No hoovering!
Rest rest and rest!

Glitterandunicorns Tue 28-Nov-17 17:58:01

I had horrific SPD from 20 weeks in my last pregnancy. It was so bad I got signed off work and was essentially housebound (although I do have other mobility issues which exacerbated the issue).
Physio helped me loads, but hydrotherapy was amazing for me. My physiotherapist also gave me a support belt to use which helped lots.
I hope you manage to get some relief soon.

user1499786242 Tue 28-Nov-17 18:31:29

Trying to rest as much as possible! So hard with a toddler 😭
Also feeling quite mentally low as being stuck indoors all day everyday is so depressing! But the pain is so bad that going out is just too much!
I have had back ache and sciatica since having my son 2 years ago which is also making the whole thing even more unbearable
Going to ask my Physio about a support band!
Why do baths make it worse?
What about hot water bottles etc? X

wowbutter Tue 28-Nov-17 18:43:05

I am 26'weeks. I have severe spd. I have been signed off for the last few weeks, think I am in week five...
I am not going back to work.
I can't drive.
My baby is due in March, but will be a planed section in February.

wowbutter Tue 28-Nov-17 18:46:02

Baths make it worse due to the heaving yourself in and out, and the possibility of opening your knees to get in and out.
It also relaxes all the ligaments, which are too lax anyway.

Hot water bottles are fine. I frequently have burn marks from mine as the heat really soothes. I alternate heat and ice.

I am having acupuncture fun my chiropractor and physio. Both give relief on the day, but it soon wears off.

I take thirty mg codeine with paracetamol at breakfast and lunch.
Ive been told to take ibruprofen with codeine in the afternoon.
I take sixty mg codeine with paracetamol at bed.

It's agonising, even with that.

Spam88 Tue 28-Nov-17 18:54:07

Hot water bottles are fine, and you can use them directly on where the pain is unless it's on your bump.

HAYZ0 Tue 28-Nov-17 18:55:01

I know exactly how you feel. I have 2 children who are at school so i dread the school walk every day. I waddle in agony. Physio gave me crutches and a support band but neither help. I am lucky because when kids are at school I can now rest during school hours. Although if I rest the washing builds up as well as the dishes 😔 just bending to do washing feels like my pelvis will crack.
It was a struggle to finnish my time with work before my annual leave/maternity leave started. I had a desk job and even sitting at a desk hurt.
I am worried about the long term effects. I recovered after my 2nd baby but this time around is so much worse. I do know someone who didnt recover and 5years later is still in agony.
I think it's a case of wait and see as everyone is different

BrutusMcDogface Tue 28-Nov-17 19:17:03

I'm so sorry to hear thIs. I suffered with this during my last pregnancy and just waiting for it to kick in with this one.

Physio really helped me last time, as did the massive, ugly but wonderful support belt.

Take care!

user1499786242 Tue 28-Nov-17 19:26:20

Ah makes sense about the bath actually! And as it can't be hot hot it seems pointless
Will just carry on with the hot water bottles!
I think unless Physio eases the pain I'm going to have to ask for more painkillers or a slightly stronger dose or something! No way I could live 6 months like this!
My poor little boy is bored out of his brain being stuck inside!

I think I'm mostly worried about long term damage/problems
My hips have never been the same since my son and I'm just worried my body will fall apart even after giving birth
My Physio is very supportive at least so I'm hoping she will be able to help me get it under control
Had to stop Pilates in the first trimester and I have my first session booked with an instructor tomorrow (booked it before the pain became this bad)
Not sure if I should go or cancel? Physio said it's fine to do as long as they know about the spd etc
Ahh feeling very envious of my friends who seem to breeze pregnancy!

MrsPan Tue 28-Nov-17 19:59:28

Sorry to hear you’re suffering- it’s really a nightmare isn’t it?!? Especially with a toddler! I’ve been on crutches since 25 weeks - they did help.
I’ve found a hot water bottle at the back of my pelvis and a cold press on my pubic bone has helped. I also find just being in the pool good. I swim mostly with my arms and use minimal leg movements (I’m very slow!) but I find it really does feel relaxing and eases the pain.
I am hypermobile and had spd in the last few weeks with my daughter - it did go almost instantly. Most people tell me theirs did too so hopefully you don’t need to worry about long term damage- just try not to push through the pain or start doing more when you’ve taken painkillers because it hurts less! X

user1499786242 Tue 28-Nov-17 20:09:41

Oh god I deffo did that yesterday
Felt a teeny tiny bit better so spent an hour unpacking boxes (moved house a month ago)
Oh I am paying for it today
Problem is, we have no family support at all and there is just so much to do constantly
I know I need to rest but I also need to sort the bloody house out!
Nightmare!
I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy but I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling like this 😭

user1499786242 Tue 28-Nov-17 20:10:48

Ooh might try swimming! Although our local pool seems to be so bloody freezing not sure it would help the muscles!

Shehz21 Tue 28-Nov-17 20:16:00

Currently suffering at 24 weeks and still waiting for my physio appointment to come through. In the meantime booked myself for a private session on Thursday as pain has gone to the next level which is, UNBEARABLE. Turning in bed is a nightmare, losing a lot of sleep because of that, the stairs argh... even getting up from a sitting position hurts as well as walking! Tried hot water bottle,pillow between knees(got a full body pregnancy pillow) and try to keep my legs together as much as possible while doing any movement.
Any suggestions on belts??

BrutusMcDogface Tue 28-Nov-17 22:03:27

Sheh, the belt was given to me by the physiotherapist. Hope it helps on Thursday sad

MrsPan Wed 29-Nov-17 10:45:03

I used a belt from Jojo Maman Bebe for a while but it started to cause more discomfort so gave up but I know many people love their belts!

I agree turning in bed is awful! Especially as I have to turn constantly because lying on one hip for too long causes more pain.
Someone suggested getting silky pjs to me to make turning easier - haven’t tried though!

You have my sympathy if you’ve just moved! Plus the nesting instinct drives you mad when you can’t do it! X

scottishem Wed 29-Nov-17 17:46:35

Another sufferer here! sad and my pelvis/hips are moving out of alignment. And im now having issues at work with them making "reasonable adjustments" to my duties. Cue calls to Ucas, maternity action etc!
I sometimes feel like some employers would rather you just got signed off sick then tried to go to work sigh.
Massages at Physio is currently my saviour

carla1000 Thu 30-Nov-17 00:29:47

I had this with my last pregnancy and it is aweful. Now 23 week’s pregnant and nothing so far which I am assuming is because I lost quite a bit of weight before this one. I hope so anyway...
stairs are the worst, I ended up doing them on all fours! And turning over in bed/getting out of bed were agony!
I am having some other strange pains which I will copy below from another post. I am now wondering if this might be spd in a different format.

carla1000 Thu 30-Nov-17 00:31:04

So how to best describe this? I’ve now had 4 or 5 episodes of a sharp pain, like being punched hard, at the top left side of my belly, under my left breast. I would assume it’s where my ribs are?
The pain only lasts a second but leaves me breathless and shaky.
Twice it happened as I picked up my toddler. It feels a little like something is moving out of place and then immediately popping back into place.
Gp thinks it’s to do with baby’s movements and quite dismissive but I really doubt that as I don’t the feel any strong kicks yet and the pain is always in the exact same place.
Never had this with previous pregnancies and tbh freaks me out a bit. I’m also worried it’ll happen at work and me suddenly clutching my stomach and moaning is going to look weird... (I work with kids...)
Any suggestions?
Thanks

user1499786242 Fri 01-Dec-17 19:57:13

Had second Physio session yesterday and she said my pelvis has completely moved the other way so now the other side is raised
Whatever she did was a relief tho, the sciatica type pain on one side was reduced abit at least!
Just so sick of it all
Haven't left the house again today because of the pain, starting to feel so anxious about the pain and how I'm ganna be like this for the rest of my life ahhhh

Forgot to ask her about belts but as I'm only 14 weeks not sure if it's needed yet?

Have also been told I can't do Pilates as it will most likely make the pain much worse so I'm gutted about that really!

Just keep plodding on!
Dreading putting the decorations up! Ahh

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now