Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Fetal interhemispheric cyst

(3 Posts)
stepmum100 Fri 24-Nov-17 13:23:09

Hi , just wondering if anyone has any advice or experience with this topic
We went for our 20 week scan earlier this week and the consultant described a 'tiny fetal interhemispheric cyst'. She has told us not to worry as its very small (less than 3mm) but obviously its easier said than done.
I have an apt with fetal medicine next week to discuss whether or not I need an mri scan.
They said there are no other abnormalities.
I had a previous pregnancy 4 years ago, the baby had multiple problems and a chromosomal defect but the consultant has assured me this is nothing to do with a chromosonal problem.
Thanks

TheVanguardSix Fri 24-Nov-17 13:32:21

Is it on the brain?
It is a soft marker meaning it could be something significant or nothing to worry about at all. The MRI will offer more detail. It's more worrying if there are other markers. In our case, our baby had a cyst on the brain and a clubbed foot.

The fact that it's small and there are no other soft markers is very encouraging and usually cysts like this will resolve themselves by the third trimester. You will most likely continue to be observed/scanned more to see if this is the case.

You might be offered an amnio so I'd give that a little bit of thought so that, if you are offered this, you will be prepared to accept/decline.

I wish you all the best for a happy, healthy pregnancy.

stepmum100 Fri 24-Nov-17 13:44:50

Thankyou! Yes it is on the brain, inbetween the two sides, the consultant thought it may have formed when the two sides of the brain fused together.
Iv already considered an amnio and I dont want to take the chance so will be declining.
Thank you for sharing your story.
All the best

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: