Talk

Advanced search

Struggling at work!

(14 Posts)
cakesandphotos Thu 23-Nov-17 14:41:31

I’m 28 weeks pregnant and starting to really struggle at work. I only work part time (although 33 hours a week) so I feel like a wimp! I’m a Nanny to 4 kids aged 6, 5 and 2 year old twins and I’m finding it exhausting! The oldest two are at least at school but the twins are demanding and tiring because of their age. Today I’m working 11 hours, I’ll finish around 7pm and I’m shattered. I’ve done none of the housework apart from loading the dishwasher and making tea.
Just need a vent really! I’m going off at 35 weeks but that seems so far away!

GrapesAreMyJam Thu 23-Nov-17 14:44:08

I’m 29 weeks and a nanny to five children. I’m also knackered!

GrapesAreMyJam Thu 23-Nov-17 14:44:45

I work 50 hours a week but have to add on a two hour commute each way to that

cakesandphotos Thu 23-Nov-17 15:03:26

I feel bad for moaning now! How come you have to drive so far??

GrapesAreMyJam Thu 23-Nov-17 15:25:56

I live further away. Plus the traffic is horrendous every day. I’ll be glad when I’m off!

GrapesAreMyJam Thu 23-Nov-17 15:26:32

Oh don’t feel bad! I get to have three hours childfree in the morning so I get a break there!

firsttimechloe91 Thu 23-Nov-17 15:34:07

I work between 35-40 hours a week as a restaurant supervisor and I'm struggling! It's hard being on your feet all day and night!

InRainbows Thu 23-Nov-17 22:26:13

Wow these are some full on jobs! Just keep focused on the end goal and fill your thoughts with baby cuddles and cooing!

My job is a desk job so very easy in comparison I'm sure you would kill to be sat at a desk all day but my workload at the moment is high and I am counting down the days until I'm out of there, it's all I think about on my way in to work and I keep a little countdown to look at on my computer!

cakesandphotos Fri 24-Nov-17 14:06:42

See I think a desk job would be more mentally tiring that a nanny job! Not sure which is better/worse really!

@GrapesAreMyJam how old are the children you look after? I don’t know how you manage 5!

ClaireBear1986 Fri 24-Nov-17 14:59:57

I'm only 20 weeks, but already struggling with work. Dreading what it's going to be like in another 10 weeks. Struggling mainly due to the commute and tiredness.

I work a 45 hour week now (managed to have my hours reduced from 50 hours recently), but my commute on the tube is awful. 90 mins either way, so I have to add on 3 hours a day making it a 60 hour week.

As you can imagine the commuters on the tube in London aren't very sympathetic either. So I spend a lot of that time on the tube standing, and being shoved about. I often have to wait 15-20 mins as well, for a tube to come along that has enough space for me to safely get on.

Luckily my job is a desk job, but it is very boring and I currently don't have anything to do. I thought that would be fantastic, but doing nothing for 9 hours a day is actually mentally exhausting!!
Might steal your idea @InRainbows and have a desk countdown smile

Not sure how you are all coping working as Nanny's while pregnant and having to run around after all those children. I am very impressed. Hopefully it is also helping to keep you all fit during pregnancy!! (While I am sitting here eating cake at my desk. Ha)

When are most people planning on starting their maternity leave?

firsttimechloe91 Fri 24-Nov-17 15:37:50

@ClaireBear1986 I'm gunna try and go until I'm 8 months as don't want to use my maternity before the baby is here however I'm only 15 + 5 so far and the back pain I suffer with is SO bad that at night when I've got in to bed and have to pee for the millionth time I can hardly walk! I'm bent over and hobbling!

I have to nap for an hour every afternoon (luckily I have split shifts) but even so, I'm exhausted constantly!

I feel like such a wuss!

ClaireBear1986 Fri 24-Nov-17 15:44:37

I feel like a wuss too!!
Especially when I read about people taking their maternity leave the day before their due and things!!

I'm covering another lady on maternity at the moment, and she is due back when I am almost 34 weeks. So I think that works quite nicely, and will hopefully start my mat leave then.

SomehowSomewhere1 Fri 24-Nov-17 15:50:07

27wks - some days fine, and then I crash with tiredness for a few days and really struggle.

cakesandphotos Fri 24-Nov-17 15:59:16

I’m going off at 35 weeks because I’m absolutely not prepared to go into labour while responsible for someone else’s children! It means I’ll use up most of my 90% statutory before baby even arrives but I think by 35 weeks I’ll be on my knees anyway

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now