Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Why do McDonald’s cheese burgers not make me sick??

(53 Posts)
Bonnieb168 Tue 21-Nov-17 19:28:11

That’s it really - I have horrendous evening sickness where literally from about 6pm anything I eat comes right back up. Yet McDonald’s cheeseburgers I’m absolutely fine! Why does my body want this crap!!

Anyone similar struggling and got any healthy alternatives that have not made them sick or should I just carry on eating burgers...

hoopdeloop Tue 21-Nov-17 19:31:50

I had a very similar thing with my first pregnancy. I had hypermesis and threw up EVERYTHING! Had a McDonald’s one day as a treat and it stayed down.

I mentioned it to the midwife who said that it obviously wasn’t the healthiest choice and not to have it every day but it was giving me some energy and something in my stomach. The baby sucks everything from your stores and the vitamin anyway!

LaurieFairyCake Tue 21-Nov-17 19:32:49

It’s because it’s the perfect combo of fat, sugar, protein

Krispy Kreme glazed rings are also almost half fat, half sugar

So try that too grin (sort of joking)

Bonnieb168 Tue 21-Nov-17 19:43:13

Haha might have to try the Krispy Creams to experiment!!

Ah well hopefully this sickness will pass soon and I can eat something more healthy... I am taking my multi vitamin so perhaps that counteracts it and the baby just takes all of the goodness and just a little bit of the crap!

ninnynono Tue 21-Nov-17 19:43:48

I hardly ever ate Macdonald's before being pregnant but I was having one almost every fortnight during my last pregnancy. I really craved it and it was one of the only things I could keep down in the early days. One of my colleagues had one at least once a week...! We both went back to pre baby weight pretty easily. I also ate an alarming amont of Reece's Pieces blush.

Don't worry. As long at it's not every day, you'll be fine.

londonloves Tue 21-Nov-17 20:26:41

All I could eat for weeks was white bread and cheese...

bengalcat Tue 21-Nov-17 20:28:20

Oddly enough the only things I could keep down in the first few months of pregnancy without exception were coffee and wine ! Obvs didn't drink much wine but it never came back up - enjoy your McDonalds

AfterSchoolWorry Tue 21-Nov-17 20:30:45

McDonald's was literally the only thing I could tolerate in the first trimester.

Well cold apple pie too. But that was it!

BarryTheKestrel Tue 21-Nov-17 20:31:42

Mine was burger King chilli cheese bites. I was most upset (big fat pregnant lady tears) when they closed early one day and I couldn't get my fix.

bettydraper31 Tue 21-Nov-17 20:55:24

Because they're awesome!!!

I've had a few since becoming preggo again.... and man they just hit the spot!

You need to try a double cheeseburger meal! That's the real deal. You won't look back.

😂

DancesWithOtters Tue 21-Nov-17 21:01:15

What if you make your own cheeseburgers at home with steak mince and good quality cheese?

Or does it have to be bad stuff?

Can you eat pizza?

chocolateorangeowls Tue 21-Nov-17 21:03:59

For me it was the Burger King chicken royals!

MadameRaleuse Tue 21-Nov-17 21:04:22

Many years ago I was told that McDonalds and similar put anti-vomiting "stuff" in their sauces.

I can quite believe that. I totally craved McDs throughout my second pregnancy.

koalab Tue 21-Nov-17 21:05:46

I had morning sickness in the morning and one day after an appointment me and DP popped into weather spoons for breakfast. That bacon roll and diet coke was the best meal I ever had. It started a trend of popping to Greggs every morning on my way to work though.

DeadDoorpost Tue 21-Nov-17 21:12:03

Hyperemesis sufferer here and the only thing I could keep down without having meds was mango, or sausages, or shepherds pie. There seemed to be no particular reason for it, except shepherds pie being my favourite meal. Sadly the last 3 weeks have totally flipped and I can currently not stomach it. All I've really fancied has been chocolate or crispbread with cream cheese and cucumber. It's not even a craving, just what I've managed to eat.
If it's staying down then that's something! It may just be a phase but if you're able to keep other food down during the day then eat anything healthy then and the cheeseburgers in the evening if that's what works. At least that way you can have something healthy

PaperdollCartoon Tue 21-Nov-17 21:12:22

When my DSis was pregnant with my nephew she went off all meat as she felt so sick, except for Burger King chicken royales

toastytea Tue 21-Nov-17 21:14:27

I usually eat everything home cooked and I'm currently subsisting on ham sandwiches, McDonald's and orange juice.

Happyhippy45 Tue 21-Nov-17 21:16:40

Weird. First clue of me being pregnant (over 23 years ago) was craving a McDonald's cheese burger. I was a vegetarian......but ended up eating
meat when I was pregnant.
I had really bad morning sickness....and McDonald's sorted me out.
What do they put in them?

beckythomas Tue 21-Nov-17 21:19:12

I had similar experience. When I had KFC food I was alright after throwing up all other kinds of food during my first trimester. I think its to do with craving for a certain kind of food. The body probably doesnt take any other kind of foods other than what you crave for during pregnancy. Make sense?

Believeitornot Tue 21-Nov-17 21:20:41

I had to have brown rice with minimal protein for dinner when pregnant otherwise I’d be sick. In the morning I had to have protein and minimal carbs.

Whatever works basically!

superking Tue 21-Nov-17 21:20:54

Also loved McDonald's whilst pregnant. At 8 months pregnant I used to undertake a 2 mile round waddle to the nearest one on my lunchbreak at least twice a week. When not pregnant I probably have one every 2-3 months.

I think it's something about the salt/ carb/ fat ratio.

Aliosa Tue 21-Nov-17 21:21:35

It’s literally 100% British beef, cheese from Ireland, sauces are Heinz and a normal burger bun.

It’s not crack cocaine, eat as many as you like!

dantdmistedious Tue 21-Nov-17 21:21:51

I could only eat sausage and egg McMuffins without the egg. At least yours is available past 10am😂

oldlaundbooth Tue 21-Nov-17 21:22:56

I think it's your body's way of telling you that you need calories quickly and that cheeseburgers are a quick source.

No one ever craves broccoli when preggo.

AnUtterIdiot Tue 21-Nov-17 21:23:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: