Talk

Advanced search

Sinus pain unbearable. Help!

(14 Posts)
readysetcake Tue 21-Nov-17 12:04:59

A bad cold has developed into sinusitis. Not sure what to do with myself except rip my head off. I’m doing, steam with menthol, saline spray, saline rinse. Nothing is helping. I feel like I’m going to pass out from the pain. I’m too scared to take pain killers, even paracetamol after a recent study that said it can disrupt testosterone https://www.nhs.uk/news/pregnancy-and-child/is-paracetamol-use-in-pregnancy-harmful-for-male-babies/

I know the study was mice and not humans and they don’t know if the results are the same for humans but I feel like I can’t take the risk. How could I ever forgive myself if I had a boy and it had problems? This is sending my anxiety off the scale.

My drs are a nightmare to get into and just feel they would fob me off and tell me to take paracetamol. My poor 2 year old is stuck in front of the TV as I can’t even move. Arggghh. Sorry I know there are no magic answers and renders this post quite pointless but I just need a hand hold. Feeling so sorry for myself. This pregnancy just gets worse. Still 25 weeks to go.

cheesydoesit Tue 21-Nov-17 12:23:00

Ah I had this and it was an absolute nightmare! Not much to add but I did try filling socks with rice and microwaving them for a minute then popping them under my eye/bridge of my nose area. Obviously let them cool a little first. It did help take the pressure and pain away a bit, maybe it will be of use to you? My GP suggested inhaling steam too, I found the rice tip on Google. Hope it subsides soon. flowers

readysetcake Tue 21-Nov-17 12:31:43

Thank you cheesy I’ll try the rice thing, not heard of that one.

NamesNamesAndMoreNames Tue 21-Nov-17 12:36:17

Steam is my only thought too. Run a hot shower, turn off the extractor fan and just stand in it for as long as you can. Don't let any precious steam escape. Menthol sweets or olbas oil type stuff might help? It's all congestion one way or another, so I'd avoid dairy and drink lots and lots of hot drinks.

owltrousers Tue 21-Nov-17 12:48:01

A hot flannel on your face in a steamy bath really helps.

Also the best thing I found for sinus pain was warm salty water squirted up my nose and then a really good nose blow.

Its crap, so you have my sympathy.

smellybeanpole Tue 21-Nov-17 12:53:38

I had a MAJOR sinus infection a few months ago. Still suffering now. The only thing that’s helped was steaming my head with a few drops of vicks in the water. Steeimar (saltwater) spray.

FourForYouGlenCoco Tue 21-Nov-17 12:57:42

Ugh OP you poor thing! I had exactly the same thing a couple of weeks ago, grim cold (thanks DS) and then sinusitis - my entire head felt like it was being stabbed every time I moved, it was in my ears, teeth, eyes, everywhere! It was bloody awful. I almost never take paracetamol but tbh it was the only way to get through the day. I felt really really rough. I also had a couple of lemsips on the worst days, I know you're not supposed to but I have 2 other kids and have to function! The good news is it's taken about 3 weeks but I am on the mend now, although still having problems with my ears. Fingers crossed for you it passes soon, sorry no good advice but lots and lots of sympathy flowers

mrsdiddlydoo Tue 21-Nov-17 13:05:26

Can't help with the sinus pain but a day or two or three of cbeebies won't kill your 2 year old. Hope you feel better soon flowers

ObscuredbyFog Tue 21-Nov-17 13:07:15

OP, try something from this range.

www.neilmed.com/uk/

niknok69 Tue 21-Nov-17 13:07:52

Bless you! Try Nasal Irrigation, no drugs needed and it really does work!

niknok69 Tue 21-Nov-17 13:12:15

Have a look at this
www.youtube.com/watch?v=wa9DeNqiOLc

Oysterbabe Tue 21-Nov-17 13:25:58

So much sympathy. I'm in the tail end of a sinus infection, I still have a daily throbbing headache but have stopped fantasising about shooting myself. I took paracetamol but tbh it didn't really touch it. When I was in the midst of it I coincidentally read this
www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-5081551/Arizona-man-cleared-stuffy-nose-MASTURBATING.html
It might take your mind off it for a while if nothing else?

readysetcake Tue 21-Nov-17 13:40:30

Thank you for the sympathy everyone. It’s truly awful. Childbirth was a breeze compared to this.
Tried nasal irritation niknok and while it does clear some mucus it doesn’t relieve my headache which is where I’m in agony. Can think of having this for three weeks 😩

niknok69 Tue 21-Nov-17 14:18:24

I've also had Facial Reflexology, which is also very good. Not sure where you are so can't suggest anyone.

Good luck! xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now