Talk

Advanced search

Some advice!!

(17 Posts)
Babymummyandbump Mon 20-Nov-17 16:44:04

Just found out I’m pregnant which I’m roughly 20 weeks I’ve rung up midwife advice line she gave an appointment for 5th I said I need a sooner one they told me to ring gp surgery for an appointment tomorrow which I did they set it I got a phone call back with them shouting down phone saying it’s too soon for an appointment and started shouting anything I can do?

Bella8 Mon 20-Nov-17 16:51:51

Hi, usually they will rush you through with you being further along as they'll need to get you booked straight in for a scan asap. The gp reception shouldn't be shouting at you. Ask to speak to the practice manager and place a complaint, you'll find you'll be booked straight in. Usually it's the Midwife's that should be seeing you though.

Babymummyandbump Mon 20-Nov-17 18:35:56

It was the midwife who spoke to me, I told them that I’m further gone and she said you have a 2 week wait and her time of voice was not very nice at all

EastDulwichWife Mon 20-Nov-17 18:45:53

Congratulations OP. I'd contact your GP again, explain you've been asked to wait for two weeks, and get an urgent referral.

BatteredBreadedOrSouthernFried Mon 20-Nov-17 18:47:08

The midwife shouted at you?

PotteringAlong Mon 20-Nov-17 18:48:07

How do you know you're 20 weeks pregnant?

Babymummyandbump Mon 20-Nov-17 18:51:16

Because that’s the only time I had intercourse if I have to go in detail, but yeah she did because I said I need an urgent appointment

BatteredBreadedOrSouthernFried Mon 20-Nov-17 18:52:43

Were you shouting at her?

Bella8 Mon 20-Nov-17 19:03:51

BatteredBreadedOrSouthernFried It doesn't make a difference if OP raised her voice or not she's pregnant and the receptionist should have showed more restraint and professionalism. If I shouted at somebody in my job I'd have got the sack!

Bella8 Mon 20-Nov-17 19:04:14

midwife sorry*

Bella8 Mon 20-Nov-17 19:05:26

Midwifes supposedly part of a caring profession and are trained to deal with many people and many situations and shouldn't be shouting at people. If they lose their cool so easily what would they be like at a live birth!?!

BatteredBreadedOrSouthernFried Mon 20-Nov-17 19:14:41

It does actually make a difference. You don’t get to shout at HCPs and then complain if they shout back. Anyway, what I suspect is closer to the truth is that OP was coming over heavy and demanding and the midwife didn’t bow to her demands.

BatteredBreadedOrSouthernFried Mon 20-Nov-17 19:14:58

Which OP has decided is “shouting”

Bella8 Mon 20-Nov-17 19:18:34

As a professional there is ways of dealing with difficult people and no need to shout. You are trained in ways to calm irate patients and are clearly working in the wrong field if you get so heated yourself. If all else fails you can simply ask them to lower their tone or you're going to terminate the call and again no need for shouting at pregnant women; it's appalling. The OP didn't even say she was shouting. I've spoken to some awkward people myself so can completely see where Babymummy is coming from...

Bella8 Mon 20-Nov-17 19:19:12

easily*

BatteredBreadedOrSouthernFried Mon 20-Nov-17 19:30:42

As I said, I suspect there was no shouting (from the midwife) at all. The OP sounds exaggerated.

Bella8 Mon 20-Nov-17 19:32:55

OP I hope you manage to get an earlier appointment. The midwife sounds like a right piece of work. In my area they always make an effort to see those women who are further along. You must be dying to get your scan...congratulation on your pregnancy x flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now