Talk

Advanced search

Itchy!!!

(15 Posts)
Cupcakey Sun 19-Nov-17 18:43:21

Hi,
I’m 33 weeks pregnant with no2 and the last couple of days my skin has felt really itchy I’ve not got a visible rash just feel itchy all the time unless I’m the shower. It feels like creepy crawlies are walking on me but obviously they aren’t but I feel like I want to scratch.
Anyone else experiencing this? I’m seeing the midwife tomorrow so will mention it but just thought I would see if I’m just an odd ball 🙈 didn’t have this with my 1st. xx

MarmiteandToast Sun 19-Nov-17 18:50:16

I get itchy all the time but only seems to be when I am sitting somewhere relaxing like on the sofa?! I read that it's to do with extra blood vessels

Your midwife might know if it's something else though!

kellyrichards Sun 19-Nov-17 18:52:26

I’m only in the first trimester but I’m super itchy all over too!! And I️ can itch and I️ can and it doesn’t go away... it’s weird

Womble75 Sun 19-Nov-17 18:55:42

Do mention it. It’s a sign of possible cholostatis (sp) Which I had in the last trimester.

HaHaHmm Sun 19-Nov-17 18:56:03

I don’t want to worry you but it could be obstetric cholestasis. Definitely tell your mw.

Whowouldfardelsbear Sun 19-Nov-17 18:59:19

Being very itchy at this stage in pregnancy can be a symptom of obstretic cholestasis. I had this and dd2 had to be induced at 36 weeks. It's basically where your liver starts failing due to the pregnancy. Other warning signs are being even more itchy at night, jaundice, psin under the right ribs and having dark urine.

You will want to rule it out which can be done by blood test, but definitely with mentioning to your midwife.

Whowouldfardelsbear Sun 19-Nov-17 18:59:59

Cross posts!

Cupcakey Sun 19-Nov-17 19:07:17

Thank you everyone I will definitely mention it I’ve just googled that hadn’t heard of it! Thank you for mentioning it. I feel like I’m wearing a really itchy wool jumper!! It’s driving me crackers! I thought it was when I was hot but even sitting in my nighty doesn’t help! confusedhmm
Marmite and Kelly fellow itchers!! I’m glad I’m not alone I hope yours eases soon. flowers
Xx

RosieCotton Sun 19-Nov-17 21:01:37

I was so itchy in my third pregnancy I can't remember the name of it but it was something to do with my liver, I ended up have ds by c section early because of it. I would definitely mention it to your midwife x

MrsJW15 Sun 19-Nov-17 21:26:48

Definitely worth mentioning. Might be a liver issue, but it might just be itching! I was really itchy in my second and third trimesters for no obvious reason. I used a lot of Hopes Relief moisturiser which really helped.

booellesmum Sun 19-Nov-17 21:29:02

Please make sure your midwife does a blood test for obstetric cholestasis. Hopefully it's not but best to be sure.
I had it with both mine and the itching is insane.

Cupcakey Mon 20-Nov-17 16:07:57

Hi, the midwife has taken bloods and sent them away, hopefully results back tomorrow afternoon or weds.
I’m still scratching like mad! She said it could be my washing powder or just that my skin is dry. Although I would have thought if it was washing powder I would have a rash but I don’t have anything other than red marks from me scratching! Do they do adult scratch mits?? confusedshock

TheEdgeOfGlory266 Mon 20-Nov-17 17:09:01

I had cholestasis with my first and again with this one. I'm 33 weeks and my itching has really gone up a gear. Hopefully it's nothing but it's good that you've had bloods done.

MaeBug Mon 20-Nov-17 17:13:15

Hi Cupcakey,
I hope your results come back all clear. If so, and the issue is purely skin related it may be worth enquiring about Menthol Aqueous cream, pop that in the fridge and slather it on after a shower.

user1498070168 Tue 21-Nov-17 21:11:29

I'm itchy and it's been driving me nuts! Tested negative for cholestasis, haven't changed soap powder or anything, no rash. Apparently it's probably hormone related. Midwife recommended cool showers (no hot water), washing with water only except for the bits that really need soap, and don't put anything on the skin except aqueous cream. It has helped a bit although it hasn't cured it completely (probably only giving birth will get rid of it)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now