Talk

Advanced search

Do I call my midwife? Worried about baby position

(11 Posts)
pomadas87 Fri 17-Nov-17 10:06:32

39+6 today and my last midwife appointment was at 38+5, the next is booked for 40+5.

Baby has been head down for weeks but was back to back at last two appointments. I've been trying to turn the baby since being on mat leave but today it feels in an awkward position - sort of lying diagonally? I can feel what feels like little feet kicking in upper right under my ribs and hardness (like body/back) lower left side of my tummy.

I've been getting strong twinges the past few days and I'm scared things are underway and baby seem s to be laying quite oddly. Should I be worried? Do I call my midwife or will they just say baby will probably turn?

honeysucklejasmine Fri 17-Nov-17 10:07:33

What do you mean, you've been trying to turn the baby?

pomadas87 Fri 17-Nov-17 10:08:40

By doing the things my midwife recommended e.g. On yoga all, leaning forward, being on all fours etc

pomadas87 Fri 17-Nov-17 10:08:58

Yoga ball, rather!

Ausparent Fri 17-Nov-17 10:13:35

Call your midwife. She is there to support you and reassuring you everything is ok is supporting you.

Namechanger2735 Fri 17-Nov-17 10:38:05

I'm sure she'll tell you not to worry and she'll see you at the next appointment but ring if it will make you feel better

mindutopia Fri 17-Nov-17 10:46:12

If you are concerned, there's no reason not to ring, but what you're describing sounds normal to me. They don't often lie straight up and down. It's usually diagonally to the right or left. Mine was just as you describe before I had her (feet and bum up to the right under my rib and head down to the left side near by hip). That's a perfectly fine position at 39 weeks. I really wouldn't stress about trying to turn baby from back to back. Being posterior is also perfectly fine and it shouldn't affect your birth. There are often good reasons babies lie that way (you might have a joint in your pelvis that is out of place, common if you have had any SPD, you have an anterior placenta so baby is facing it to not get so tangled in the cord, etc.). My first was back to back, so literally in exactly the position you describe and back to back. It didn't affect my birth at all and I had a perfectly natural home birth with her. I didn't even need the gas and air. Didn't have any back labour, etc. So there really is nothing to worry about. Definitely do the various pelvic exercises you've been given and spent time on your hands and knees as it does encourage optimal positioning, but don't panic about it. All that sounds absolutely normal to me.

pomadas87 Fri 17-Nov-17 11:09:25

mindutopia thank you - very reassuring! I do have an anterior placenta but no SPD. I'll keep doing the exercises and see what happens

Ilovelampandchair Fri 17-Nov-17 11:17:04

I'm not sure what you think the midwife would do about it? Are you wondering if you need a c-section if baby is transverse?

pomadas87 Sat 18-Nov-17 04:53:26

I did speak to midwife in the end for reassurance and she said as long as I'm feeling twinges in my pelvis then baby's head is still in the right place and that's the main issue. I'm to let them know if anything changes but I feel reassured!

MissBax Sat 18-Nov-17 05:01:09

As PP said, babies aren't totally vertical. Their legs need somewhere to go and that's usually under your ribs! Good luck ♥

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now