Talk

Advanced search

Midwife says my belly is small and it worries me

(17 Posts)
tilda0 Tue 14-Nov-17 21:31:36

Hi all, I'm almost 25 weeks, I have a normal BMI of 20.44. I'm 1m67. I have put 7.5kg since falling pregnant which seems correct. Midwife measured my belly for the first time today and said that it is just about big enough. She said that I am very thin (obv I'm just normal, not especially thin) and that I should a bit more (I do believe that I eat enough!).

Anyway, now I am a bit worried. What to think??

This is my first baby.

MagicMoneyTree Tue 14-Nov-17 21:45:21

You’re meant to eat a bit more than normal in the last trimester of pregnancy. Not stuffing your face or constantly pigging out, just take in more calories than you would normally. Do you feel like your appetite has increased? If not you might have to consciously eat a bit more than you’re used to. I’m sure there’s nothing to worry about and some people just “measure small” (me included) but she’s probably just trying to gently remind you to eat a bit more to make sure you have enough calories for you and baby. It’s only about 200 calories, so not a massive amount. You’ll be offered growth scans if your measurements don’t follow your chart just to double-check that baby is growing as it should be, so please try not to worry x

PandaCat Tue 14-Nov-17 21:46:51

Don't panic! With my first I was constantly told I was small. I measured small and had two extra scans, everything was fine, baby was fine.

I'm 24 weeks this week and have been told I'm small by others but midwife isn't concerned, says I have a nice size. I think it's just the way I carry! I carry quite low.

FellOutOfBed2wice Tue 14-Nov-17 21:51:27

I measured small both pregnancies- when sent for growth scans at 36 weeks with both the babies were kind of laying long ways and I’m quite tall so the sonographer put it down to that. Both came out a normal and healthy 7lb 5oz+

BowlingShoes Tue 14-Nov-17 21:56:17

If you are measuring within the normal range, everything should be fine. People constantly commented on the smallness of my bump during both my first pregnancy. GP sent me for a check-up at the hospital because I was measuring a couple of weeks behind. The doctor was most annoyed and said that 3cm either way was nothing to worry about. Baby ended up being 9 and a half pounds. It's amazing how they can tuck themselves away.

tilda0 Tue 14-Nov-17 22:04:07

thanks!! star @MagicMoneyTree @PandaCat @FellOutOfBed2wice
I don't feel hungry, I pretty much as much as before. I was maybe eating more in my first trimester.

@BowlingShoes I am measuring on the edge of the lowest range, just at the limit of what is considered as too small.

bonzo77 Tue 14-Nov-17 22:05:28

Provided your placenta is working and you’re not malnourished, Baby will get what it needs. If you can eat a bit more, do. But don’t get worked up over it. If midwife has genuine concerns she will refer you for growth scan. I was small. I measured small. I refused to be weighed (eating disorder) though was within normal bmi prior to pregnancy. Scans revealed problems with my placenta, which had nothing to do with me or my eating.

So, whilst the mw concerns are valid, I don’t think they relate to your eating.

EvilDoctorBallerinaRoastDuck Tue 14-Nov-17 22:09:04

I measured tiny right through my last pregnancy, DS2 was born at 41+6, 9lb 12oz, and my placenta was huge, with loads of amniotic fluid! I'm still not entirely sure where it was all hiding!

ScotsLamb Wed 15-Nov-17 07:17:43

I’m 34 weeks and I’ve put on 6kg this pregnancy. Midwife saying perfectly sized bump. The world is saying I’m “massive”. At 24 weeks I had hardly any bump.

See what the next measurement says as bump measurements can be way off.

AnUtterIdiot Wed 15-Nov-17 12:20:13

I agree, bump measurements are not very accurate. Even an ultrasound has a 15% margin of error, the more so the later on in the pregnancy you are, I believe.

DinoMania Wed 15-Nov-17 13:16:32

My bump was always referred as being small, following the lower curve on the growth chart but at the growth scan he was shown to be actually on the average curve of growth. DS ended up being born a good 7 lb 1 oz even though he was 3 weeks early! So small bump doesn't always mean small baby might just be how your carrying and that you haven't been putting on any extra weight there.

On the flip side, my friend's bump was measuring on the larger side and she had a small baby!

tilda0 Wed 15-Nov-17 15:48:26

Thanks all, good to hear about your small bumps.
Measuring sounds quite old school to me. Maybe I will get myself a scan. Maybe I will follow the lower curve on the the growth chart. I have tried to eat more today and it doesn't sound natural, I'm so so full, it's just not nice.

Tssss Midwife....

ScotsLamb Wed 15-Nov-17 19:17:48

Today my bump measured 90th centile but was at 50th two weeks ago. I put it down to needing to pee at the appointment today.

LeafyUmbreon Wed 15-Nov-17 22:48:46

I wouldn’t worry; I have been measuring 28cm since 30wks and I’m almost 35wks now. I may not be growing, but baby certainly is at already 5.4lbs and I’ve only gained 12lbs at 5ft4.
Everyone is saying how small I am and how small bump is (baby must just be hiding — haha) but I honestly just think everyone is different and every pregnancy is different.

Midwife was concerned and sent me for an emergency growth scan but in some respects I was measuring ahead.

ILoveMyFrenchie Wed 15-Nov-17 23:23:29

Hey! Just wanted to say my bump measured small also, I had a growth scan around 35 weeks and baby was perfect! I am around 5ft 3 and my tummy muscles were pretty tight. I always wanted a bigger bump whilst pregnant as I received comments on s daily basis I.e "Are you sure you didn't just have a big dinner" "omg you're 9 months? You look like 5" even I had a colleague who was 3 weeks ahead of me and she was double of me so no one noticed. But now my DD is here I am so glad of my little bump as everything went back within a day or so and I didn't get any stretch marks (boobs are another story). my little one was born a healthy 7.2oz xx

Bewiser Wed 15-Nov-17 23:28:20

The measurements are ludicrous. Mine were all over the place. My baby spent some of her time breech anyway, surely they skewed it nevermind the fact it's not accurate in the first place. I was worrying about it towards the end - she was a big baby though, good weight and 99.6th centile length so it was all nonsense. Ignore! I will try to if there is a next time.

tilda0 Thu 16-Nov-17 20:39:56

Thanks again for your replies all!

@Bewiser Thanks! There will be other measurements, next month and then every second week until the end. Old school isn't it! This is in Sweden.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now