Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Hypnobirthing - has anyone done it? Best home course to recommend?

(11 Posts)
PGTips83 Tue 14-Nov-17 18:04:36

Hi ladies,

I'm thinking about using hypnobirthing during labour, but it seems nobody does any classes in my area. Has anyone on here had any experience of hypnobirthing? Did you find it useful or is it only a nice theory that flies out the window the minute the contractions start?

I'm looking for any recommendations for books, online courses, podcasts, etc too.

Thank you!

PopadomPointer Tue 14-Nov-17 19:37:06

Bumping
Not due til May but am very interested in this toosmile

mindutopia Tue 14-Nov-17 19:53:39

Natal hypnotherapy. It was wonderful. You can get the tracks on mp3 or CD and buy the book (Effective Birth Preparation by Maggie Howell). There are also classes, but honestly I really don't think the classes are necessary. It was literally two days of them telling you what was in the book for an extra 100+ quid.

I used it for my first birth and planning to do it again with this one. I had a home birth. Only pain relief I needed was a TENS. Didn't need the gas and air, didn't bother with the pool. I was genuinely really comfortable. I wouldn't describe it as painful. The only painful bit was the one cervical exam (never doing that again!) and my husband said I said 'ouch!' when dd crowned. I had a 2nd degree tear and stitches for that hurt, but overall birth really wasn't painful. It was intense and tiring, but not painful. And I was really relaxed and comfortable and it was very peaceful and nice. I can't recommend it enough. And it's not expensive.

reetgood Tue 14-Nov-17 20:00:22

I’m interested in this too. I’m familiar with mindfulness meditation but often find visualisations a bit less effective (maybe I just lack visual imagination). Is it quite visuals heavy?

Luxembourgmama Tue 14-Nov-17 20:08:04

I did a hypnobirthing class I found it good it really made me less nervous about the birth. I didn’t succeed In Hypnotizing myself to feel no pain during the birth but I did have the drug free birth I wanted so I’d say it’s a good idea. I went to a class but it was based the main hypnobirthing book

TheNewMrs Tue 14-Nov-17 20:31:06

I'm interested in this too! smile
mindutopia I love hearing positive stories like that! How far into your pregnancy did you start? I'm only 16+5 now but the time really is flying!

PGTips83 Tue 14-Nov-17 20:42:10

@TheNewMrs I'm around the same time along as you are and just thought I'd get a head start on it.

Thanks to those that have replied so far, and thanks @Mindutopia for the recommendation! So it seems that the book is ample and the classes are superfluous - is that about right?

Through some research I've also found the Calm Birth School online, which looks good but I wondered if anyone else had used it or done the courses from it?

Thanks all!

WaitingTillJuly17 Tue 14-Nov-17 20:45:00

Have you asked your midwife? We have free NHS classes in my area, my midwife gave me the details at my 16 week appointment.

Acrosstheuniverse123 Tue 14-Nov-17 20:47:07

A book alone is not going to work! Hypnobirthing is great, but you need a proper trained practitioner:

www.hypnobirthing-uk.com/hypnobirthing-uk-training

This is one of the training schools with good credibility.

PGTips83 Tue 14-Nov-17 21:02:18

Thanks all, but I'm in Belgium and I've just found out the one hypnobirthing class I'd heard of in Brussels has been discontinued! That's why I'm looking for alternatives with videos, podcasts etc smile

somersetsinger Tue 14-Nov-17 21:31:12

A book alone worked for me.

I read The Hypnobirthing a book by Katharine Graves. It came with audio stuff too, but I didn’t use that, due to laziness. I did the little exercises as ordered. Some were visualisations but not all e.g. post-it notes round the house with positive messages.

Maybe the birth would have been fine anyway, but I look back and think I was really rather relaxed about the whole thing. I felt in control and it went to plan (took the length of time I expected and I wasn’t overwhelmed with the pain.) Worth a try, I’d say.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now