Talk

Advanced search

Toxoplasmosis worry

(9 Posts)
poppyseed1663 Tue 14-Nov-17 14:57:06

Hello,

I am pretty sure that I am just worrying unnecessarily. I am 18 weeks pregnant with my first and yesterday evening my cat put its paw in my mouth. I have had cats since I was a baby but have been trying to be careful (e.g. not doing the litter tray) since being pregnant. Our cat is an outdoor cat and although very clean- I just worry that she put her near poo and now I could be infected. I hope I am just freaking out but wondered if anyone had any advice?

Many thanks! smile

Sipperskipper Tue 14-Nov-17 15:02:08

I worried about this so much when pregnant, and therefore did a LOT of research! From my understanding, they are very unlikely to transmit it in their poo if they are adult cats, as they have usually had toxoplasmosis in the past. It is more likely with kittens / cats going outside for the first time. Also, many adult humans have already had toxoplasmosis in the past without realising, and therefore have immunity.

Wishing you all the best with your pregnancy.

Expectingbsbunumber2 Tue 14-Nov-17 15:41:49

I have an indoor cat and the cat tray freaks me out. I sometimes need to do it if my partners at work and when I do I always wear gloves and wash my hands after thoroughly. I do worry about it too.

poppyseed1663 Tue 14-Nov-17 17:35:52

Thank you both for the reassurance that it is not just me that worries about this sort of thing. I’m tempted to ask for a blood test to check but that may be OTT...

Jessiecat27 Tue 14-Nov-17 19:00:33

Try not to worry! It's advised to wear gloves when cleaning their trays but I haven't bothered, also my two are like my babies and sleep in bed with us, a pain to lint rollers constantly and probably disgusting to some people but keeping them out of the moses basket is my biggest worry 🙈

HandbagFan Tue 14-Nov-17 19:52:10

I have three cats, one of whom stays indoors. I clean her tray. I am pretty relaxed about the risks - I’ve had cats my whole life so I figure I’d have had it if I was going to get it. I’m ok with the risk I’m taking.

poppyseed1663 Tue 14-Nov-17 21:46:39

Thank you for putting my mind at ease. I think I probably have had it as my family has always had cats. I will try to relax. smile

LorelaiVictoriaGilmore Tue 14-Nov-17 22:18:33

If it would make you feel better / help you relax for the rest of your pregnancy, you could just ask your GP to test you? It's two tests about two/three weeks apart. But if the first test shows up that you already had it, you only need the first test I think. I was tested this pregnancy since I had a scare and felt must better for being checked! Highly unlikely that you have avoided it your whole life but suddenly got it during pregnancy but I'm a worrier and getting checked was the right choice for me!

Sipperskipper Wed 15-Nov-17 06:58:50

I found I worried about everything when pregnant! The highest risk for toro is eating rare, free range meat. Before I knew I was pregnant I ate the bluest steak you could imagine, and the rarest bit of venison on holiday! Also drank a lot - holiday and a friends 30th in the same week. I’ve now got a beautiful, healthy 6 month old girl.

A great book to read is Expecting Better by Emily Oster. Lots of stats in there about stuff and really put my mind at ease!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now