Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

WWYD - family visit

(9 Posts)
SpottyBrolly Tue 14-Nov-17 14:50:22

I'm 26 weeks into a high risk pregnancy; age, prem labour and breech birth. Last week I started feeling really crappy, went to the GP on Friday, she diagnosed a UTI and prescribed antibiotics and bed rest. On Monday I had to go back to the GP as still feeling awful, the GP called the lab to discover the UTI is antibiotic resistant so prescribed different antibiotics, I'm still not feeling great. This weekend I'm supposed to be making a 400 mile round trip to visit my brother who normally lives on the other side of the world but is over for the week staying at my parents with my baby niece. I really want to go and am hoping the UTI will have cleared up but am a bit worried that making such a big trip after my immune system has had such a battering might not be such a good idea. So, WWYD? Any thoughts or advice will be appreciated. TIA

PotteringAlong Tue 14-Nov-17 14:53:28

I assume the trip is in the U.K. So what difference will it make to your immune system? Go and see your brother and niece! 200 miles (if a 400 mile round trip) isn't that far in the scheme of things.

Twickerhun Tue 14-Nov-17 14:56:15

Sympathies. Can someone drive you? Or do you need to take public transport? Can your brother come to you?
This might get be one of thoes times when the prospect of doing something is worse than doing it. I’d try to go but make the journey as simple as possible.

Cakescakescakes Tue 14-Nov-17 14:58:35

Make sure to bring your hospital notes with you and keep your phone fully charged when travelling especially if driving yourself.

SpottyBrolly Tue 14-Nov-17 15:16:45

My gut feeling is I want to go assuming the UTI has gone. I think got myself a bit worked up about having an prem labour. Thanks all.

bettydraper31 Tue 14-Nov-17 18:25:06

My previous was prem so I know how you feel. We are not going anywhere after about the 25 week mark just in case, family 5 hours away. I think once you've had one prem baby it makes you worry more. In this case though I would go personally, if he lives abroad usually you never know when you may get to see him next. How are you getting ther? X

Girlwiththearabstrap Tue 14-Nov-17 19:17:14

I can sympathise with the nerves over the premature birth. As far as the visit goes - how restful is it likely to be when you get there - ie can you go for a nap if you're feeling rough/lie down etc? Also depends how you're travelling. But a few hours within uk sounds doable enough. Antibiotics work quickly so hopefully you'll start feeling better soon.

Justbookedasummmerholiday Tue 14-Nov-17 19:19:21

More reason they will have to spoil you while you sit around with your feet up!! Might be more relaxing than staying in tempted to do housework and generally too much!!

DancesWithOtters Tue 14-Nov-17 19:32:40

Will you be driving or flying?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now