Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

GTT results - middle blood result high

(7 Posts)
Crunchymum Tue 14-Nov-17 12:22:14

First and last results in normal range. Middle one was high.

MW isn't sure if they are going to want to see me in the diabetes clinic (I'll have an appointment and then self monitor?). She is going to try and find out.

Was all very inconclusive and up in the air.

Any ideas?

(Am 29w and this is number 3. Had GTT as I had a high BMI at booking on appt. Almost 33)

AnUtterIdiot Tue 14-Nov-17 12:25:37

I only had two blood tests for the GTT. Fasting bloods after 12 hour fast, followed by horrible drink, 2 hour wait, then bloods taken again. Fasting bloods were very slightly over and they treated me as if I had it. I think they're likely to want to treat you as if you have it to be on the safe side as it will really only mean monitoring your blood sugar and seeing if it can be controlled via diet.

AnUtterIdiot Tue 14-Nov-17 12:26:21

They don't medicate unless you're unable to keep your bloods within the targets they give you without it. But Metformin and insulin are both safe for use in pregnancy.

Crunchymum Tue 14-Nov-17 12:54:23

Everywhere I have looked online (I know I shouldn't but still) only give two numbers the fasting and 2 hour number. Both of which were fine for me. I cant seem to find the range of the 1h blood test number.

MW is going to try and get an answer for me. I just want to know!!!

Youcanstayundermyumbrella Tue 14-Nov-17 12:58:03

What was your result? The three results GTT is the gold standard as the traditional one can miss a quick reaction. The one hour should ideally be below 7.0, although some will allow up to 7.8.

Rebeccaslicker Tue 14-Nov-17 14:59:39

I think you won't find it online because different areas have slightly different cut off points. Eg Scotland has much easier targets than Ireland.

Looking at my results from 2015 (London), I see that they wanted fasting below 6.1 and 2 hours below 7.8. (Although frankly if your fasting is 6.1, I don't see how your 2 hour is ever going to be as low as 7.8!!)

It doesn't mention the 1 hour at all; however for the record mine was 8.9 and I was told I had technically passed it. But as I was so close to the borderline I opted to be treated as if I had it, as it would inevitably have progressed in a week or two anyway.

Rebeccaslicker Tue 14-Nov-17 15:04:18

What I do remember is, the oral tolerance test has a cut off of over 11.1 for diabetes at 1 hour. If you're over that, they don't bother with the 3 hour, it's straight on the GD management track. If you're between 7.8 and 11.0 that would earn you a full test.

For a full 3 hour test they will tell you it's abnormal if you're over 10.0 at the 1 hour mark.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now