Talk

Advanced search

Christmas parties and not drinking..

(12 Posts)
AliBunny Tue 14-Nov-17 10:07:12

Hello!

Hope you are all good..

I'm only 4wk+3 (very excited but anxious) but am about to hit a mountain of Christmas parties/drinks etc mainly linked to my job..

The first one is Thursday night, followed by a party with some friends on Friday night and then there's probably one a week until Christmas.
I'm definitely not the type to usually abstain but obviously wont be drinking this year (subject to everything going well)..

So my question is.. how is everyone else managing this or does anyone have any top tips from past experience?
Am worried I'll give the game away but it's far too early for me to let people know...

Brakebackcyclebot Tue 14-Nov-17 10:08:46

If you have a good friend you can tell, then do. Then whenever you ask for a G & T, she gets you a lemonade with ice & lemon.

lovelyjubilly Tue 14-Nov-17 10:09:30

Hold a glass of wine in your hand all evening, occassionally touching it to your lips. I got through a formal military dinner (very boozy affair!!) this way and nobody batted an eyelid.

AliBunny Tue 14-Nov-17 10:11:29

haha love the idea of a stealth glass that never goes down!

JoJoSM2 Tue 14-Nov-17 10:13:39

Or you could say you're on antibiotics and can't drink. Or just get something that looks like a mixer but is a soft drink. Or you could sneak in de-alcoholised wine - looks the same and tastes quite similar. If you're going with your other half, swap glasses for their nearly empty one so it looks like you've been drinking. Or even say that you're detoxing before X-mas - but you'll need to be convincing with what you eat as well ;)

AliBunny Tue 14-Nov-17 10:15:10

Was at a wedding on Saturday (took the test an hour before hand and got a BFP) and my DH did a great job of emptying my glasses for me..

Unfortunately these work events are just me solo with colleagues so not really anyone I can talk to..

60sname Tue 14-Nov-17 10:17:16

Not the antibiotics excuse! You may as well announce: "I'm pregnant"

Grimmfebruary Tue 14-Nov-17 10:18:02

Offer to be designated driver? Antibiotics will work once or twice too. And just make plans that need to happen very early the morning after so you're 'being sensible' 😂
Also just ask the bar staff to put your soft drink in whatever they would put a spirit and mixer in. When I worked in a bar I had a lady doing 'shots' all night - black Sambuca for her friends and a shot of coke for her 😂

glasshalfsomething Tue 14-Nov-17 10:19:20

I used to come up with an excuse to drive really early the next morning. Luckily I’d bought a new car about an hour away, so I’d complain that I had to take it back for a service (developed a recurring fault until I told people about my pregnancy).

Having to drive at 7am for me was a good enough excuse to drink only one (held but never finished)!

mindutopia Tue 14-Nov-17 10:35:12

Why not just order yourself a soda water or a tonic water? I've gotten through loads of events just drinking tonic and no one noticed or asked any questions.

MrsMcW Tue 14-Nov-17 10:41:39

Either say you're the designated driver, or I agree with lovelyjubilly - take a glass and just hold it. Empty it down the sink whenever you go to the loo! And if you can order drinks for yourself, ask for a mocktail (they look identical to the real thing) or soda with lemon and ice and say it's a G&T.

LaBelleSausage Tue 14-Nov-17 11:35:37

Virgin Mojitos!
Looks unmistakably alcoholic and after a couple you can ‘switch’ to something non alcoholic and say the rum has gone to your head

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now