Talk

Advanced search

Anyone given up on work?

(17 Posts)
Hannabee123 Mon 13-Nov-17 07:48:49

Well I'm 34 weeks I'm just over a week away from maternity leave... I drive full time for a living and my work have been awful. That's a different story that I am currently sorting with my union as they haven't been paying me for appointments and stuff.

I've had alot.of stress. Got another scan in a week as they think baby might not be growing as she should and is measuring small. I have alot of stress at home, financial issues and just everything seems to be going wrong.

I'm exhausted, not sleeping properly, getting councelling and in pain all the time. My hips, legs, kneecap, swollen ankles, fanny aches. I drive up to 3 hours at a time and it's just even more painful. Can't even walk that far anymore.

Totally fed up and had it.

Sick pay is shite but im considering sacking off work.
Do you guys think I should hang in there for another week or leave. Has anyone left early because they just aren't coping?

Only cons are i'l feel guilty and the money isn't good but it would be a weeks crap pay I guess

storkdelivery Mon 13-Nov-17 07:51:43

I’d check the terms of your maternity leave policy - I know that my work would make you start your maternity leave if you take sick leave related to pregnancy in the weeks before you are due to start.

If you’re not feeling well enough to work then you shouldn’t feel guilty about not going in - especially as it sounds as though they are not making adjustments to support you!

TheEdgeOfGlory266 Mon 13-Nov-17 08:37:22

I left at the earliest point - 29 weeks. Full time work and a 2 year was exhausting me. We moved around a 30 minute drive - double that for ruah hour - and I just couldn't be bothered with it. I decided to use to spend some time with my son who will be starting pre-school pretty much as soon as baby comes. I'm 32+3. It's a difficult one. I'm in a fortunate enough position where my maternity pay is fairly good - full pay for just short of 5 months and the SMP kicks in. I'm also not going back, so it didn't really matter how early I went. I guess only you know how you're feeling but if you really can't cope, there is no shame in leaving early. It's bloody hard work.

rollingonariver Mon 13-Nov-17 08:39:15

Did they do a pregnancy risk assessment op? Sounds like they might be breaking some laws there, I might be completely wrong, sorry, I’m not legally trained.

rollingonariver Mon 13-Nov-17 08:39:51

Also, I would personally just start your maternity leave now smile

WeShouldOpenABar Mon 13-Nov-17 08:40:49

I went off at 35 weeks which was really early as I've a desk job and not much of a commute. But I had to accept my body wasn't coping anymore and my bump was measuring small too which doctor thought was due to stress. I will lose out on money but our health had to take priority at last

Kpo58 Mon 13-Nov-17 08:46:08

Can you get a gp or consultant to sign you off with stress for a week? It might help ease the pressure.

LumpySpaceCow Mon 13-Nov-17 08:51:40

I would for a week. They only start your mat leave if it's from 36 weeks when you are off sick with a pregnancy related illness. I have had to take time off since 30 weeks but less pressure as I do get full sick pay.

TerrifyingFeistyCupcake Mon 13-Nov-17 09:00:41

TheEdgeofGlory I'm sure you've worked out the best solution for your family- just checking you've accounted for having to pay back any maternity pay above SMP if you don't go back? Contracts almost invariably require the paying back of any top-up mat pay unless you return for several months.

stargirl1701 Mon 13-Nov-17 09:02:11

Self cert for 7 days and then start your mat leave at 36 weeks.

NoSuchThing Mon 13-Nov-17 09:05:07

No advice OP, but a lot of sympathy. Only 26 weeks, and my work are being appalling, cutting my hours, not giving me any new projects, and resisting any attempt to discuss my maternity leave/ return to work. Have come home and cried so many times in the last couple of weeks. I can foresee that they are going to make my life difficult for the next 14 weeks. Money wise I had hoped to work as late as possible, but currently considering telling them to shove it leaving at Christmas; I feel so guilty about the possibility that stress might effect the baby.

Hannabee123 Mon 13-Nov-17 09:21:04

They have done a risk assessment because I threatened to go to my union and cut some of my hours but they've done alot wrong so I am seeking action against them but I just feel completely and utterly done with work, people, driving, stress and pain.
I know I can't eliminate all of those but I think I might wait a few days and leave I might try the doctors to see if I can get an appointment.

Just lost the will to live in all honesty so the week and a bit I have left just seem like a massive task

TheEdgeOfGlory266 Mon 13-Nov-17 10:26:01

@TerrifyingFeistyCupcake I don't have to pay it back. I've been there such a long time, I have triple checked and known a lot of people who have left. It's the main reasons I didn't find a new job after having my son as I knew we would eventually have another.

owltrousers Mon 13-Nov-17 10:37:26

I am so so done with works. They've been total arseholes to me ever since I announced my pregnancy (they even forced that out of me before I was ready to tell them) I've got 3 weeks left and literally counting the hours. I'd go off sick/ leave early if I could afford it.

TerrifyingFeistyCupcake Mon 13-Nov-17 11:49:41

I don't have to pay it back. I've been there such a long time

Wow. You are very lucky!

Hannabee123 Mon 13-Nov-17 12:04:17

My partners offered to help me stay on my feet If my pay is crap for a week or two. I'm going to try and make this week as I get paid weekly so i'l only have a week of rubbish pay. Had enough now sad

TheEdgeOfGlory266 Mon 13-Nov-17 16:12:17

@TerrifyingFeistyCupcake I know. The amount of people that leave after is crazy. I'm sure they will change the policy soon, but that's the way it's been for years.

Good lucky @Hannabee123. If you can cope another week, hang on. If not, do not feel guilty for leaving early. You can only do what you can do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now