Talk

Advanced search

Pregnancy and exercise?

(15 Posts)
Lm1414 Mon 13-Nov-17 05:57:59

Hi everyone,
I need some help, I have a workout twice a week with a personal trainer it is a group session so me the trainer and my MIL. I’ve just found out I’m pregnant and although I still want to continue going to keep healthy I want to let my trainer know so that I don’t do anything too strenuous etc. I can’t tell her yet as I don’t even know how many weeks I am and I can’t risk telling MIL as me and my partner want to keep it between ourselves this early on. Should I cancel and what excuse can I use? I really don’t know what to do as I don’t want to let her down but I need to do what’s best!
Thanks star

Lm1414 Mon 13-Nov-17 05:59:19

Also forgot to add until next day we still live with MIL so I can’t pretend to be really ill

silkpyjamasallday Mon 13-Nov-17 06:20:12

Congratulations! It's a tricky situation how long do you want to wait before you tell MIL? Maybe you could pretend to have hurt your back? Trapped nerve or something? I get a reoccurring trapped disc in my back and it means I can't exercise until it's better, which last time took three weeks.

treaclesoda Mon 13-Nov-17 06:24:20

I told my trainer as soon as I found out I was pregnant. She just gave me different exercises where appropriate and made vague comments about being careful with my back, so it just looked like I had a back injury. When I went public about being pregnant everyone was like shock because they hadn't suspected a thing because I was still doing all the exercise classes.

Congratulations. flowers

Babybear1117 Mon 13-Nov-17 06:30:31

@silkpyjamasallday @treaclesoda thankyou once I know how far I am I’ll work it out the plan was to tell them at 12 weeks but I don’t know if we’ll be able to wait that long! I can’t tell the trainer as she’s a bit of a gossip ! hmm
I’ll most probably go with the back injury as my back is already hurting a little haha at least it’s more convincing!
Thanks to you both flowers

Babybear1117 Mon 13-Nov-17 06:30:58

Change of name - sorry for the confusion

eeanne Mon 13-Nov-17 06:39:23

Hmm it's tricky. I told the instructor at my regular class that I was pregnant around 9 weeks and she broadcast it loudly throughout so all of the other participants knew about it. Given I hadn't told most friends and family that rubbed me the wrong way and I basically took a break from classes until 13 weeks when I was more comfortable with people knowing.

Girlwiththearabstrap Mon 13-Nov-17 08:04:24

If you've only just found out then you're probably early enough that you don't need any special modifications made to exercise? Nhs say you can carry on with any thing you're currently doing. I'm nearly 16 weeks and still doing metafit and circuits and running. I told one of the trainers because I'm close to her but I've not had to do anything different in the classes at all.

Whymustyoubringinthebirds Mon 13-Nov-17 08:12:19

I told my trainer too at about 7 weeks (mostly as I was missing a few) but I didn’t have any changes in my sessions and it’s only now I have alternative exercises (and even at that it’s only certain core excerises I avoid)

mindutopia Mon 13-Nov-17 11:30:12

I would carry on as long as you feel well enough. In early pregnancy, there's very little you have to worry about in terms of exercise as your body hasn't changed much, so the risk of hurting yourself is small. But if you feel unwell, then slow down or stop. I carried on with spinning classes until I was about 14 weeks and would have gone longer, but I got too busy and then by the time I could go again I was just not quite fit enough anymore so switched to lower intensity exercise.

Babybear1117 Mon 13-Nov-17 13:33:49

Thankyou everyone !

Usernamegone Mon 13-Nov-17 17:14:22

I told my trainer at 5 weeks. I did everything as normal until 12 weeks but they will most likely switch you to a maintenance program rather than get you to lift heavier weights, do a PB run, etc than you have previously. I had my booking in appointment at 6 weeks and my Midwife said I was fine to carry on a normal as my body was used to it. I’m 32w and still exercising albeit at a much lower intensity

allthecheese Tue 14-Nov-17 07:32:48

If you don't want to tell her, make sure you

- take exercise at 'conversational' pace, i.e. You can chat while doing it
- drink lots of water
- ideally avoid twisting movements, and movements that work your abs (to prevent diastasis recti)

I'm a pre/post natal personal trainer in my spare time smile

But honestly, as a trainer, I would be upset if a client hadn't told me. It does impact so much on what you should be doing. I would encourage you to tell your trainer if you can.

lovelyjubilly Tue 14-Nov-17 10:15:36

If you're living with your MIL she's going to work it out pretty quick!

Babybear1117 Tue 14-Nov-17 12:01:04

@allthecheese I know I would tell her if it wasn’t for my MIL. And @lovelyjubilly she won’t work it out until we tell her she’s go a lot going on with her step dad at the minute and has her own business she’s stacked out haha. I’ve not been to training this week I have my appointment with midwife on Monday so I’ll go and tell her once I know everything is ok

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now