Talk

Advanced search

So distressed..accidental exposure to insecticide

(40 Posts)
itshappening Sun 12-Nov-17 21:06:15

5 and half weeks pregnant
Already worried as some brown spotting
Now found that a bag that had some insecticide moth treatment in had leaked and left damp patch. Liquid insecticide in carrier bag where had leaked, DP saw and thinks around 100 ml. Bag must have had hole in as had soaked area around enough that the colours on carrier bag had run. We had carpet protector film down and a dust sheet from moving house a couple of months ago, because we still had pile of boxes there.
I was meant to get rid of the stuff but forgot to ring manufacturer for advice on disposal. Was mover opened, don't know how it leaked.
Designed to damage nervous system and kill insects that way. Google results suggest v bad to be exposed esp in first trimester.
I am 40 and this is a much tried for first child.
So distraught

itshappening Sun 12-Nov-17 21:07:13

Was never opened I mean
It was in spare room but in small flat just have permeated and we go in all the time as we use the en suite to that as our bathroom

itshappening Sun 12-Nov-17 21:07:35

We have also been keeping all clothes and toiletries in there

Thissameearth Sun 12-Nov-17 21:09:07

Just walking through en route to loo? Think you're absolutely fine honestly

Thissameearth Sun 12-Nov-17 21:10:53

Saw update - still think it's fine. I'm a worrier too. You won't have a midwife yet wouldn't think but could call the midwives office or GP and ask for advice. Honestly think it's fine though bear

outputgap Sun 12-Nov-17 21:16:49

OP, it's so anxiety-inducing being pregnant after trying for a long time. It's anxiety-inducing at the best of times.

I promise this is ok. I'm sure it's not great to apply loads of the stuff for your actual job while pregnant but popping in and out of the same room as a small spill will be totally fine.

Lots of us will be working in places where, without us having any idea, all sorts of poisons are being laid, applied and spread. We'll be walking through building projects, living in building projects, walking past fields being sprayed with all sorts.

theconstantinoplegardener Sun 12-Nov-17 21:19:29

Are you worried that you might have inhaled some or was it in contact with your skin? Ask your DH to clean up the remaining insecticide very thoroughly, using gloves, and air the room to avoid any more exposure. Try not to worry too much - remember that the information you have found on Google is likely to have come from laboratory animals exposed to very large quantities of the insecticide, probably in food or water. The risk will be much less for you if you didn't come into direct contact with the insecticide. If you phone NHS 101 and explain the situation, I think they have access to toxicology databases and should be able to give you accurate information. Good luck, I do understand why you're worried but I think the situation is probably not as damaging as you think.flowers

itshappening Sun 12-Nov-17 21:21:01

Thank you for replying
I just feel it must have permeated the flat as it is small and we never close any doors and it was literally a concentrated amount sitting there in a open carrier bag as well as on the floor.
I am a worrier yes!

I just don't know who to ask about this.

I have been trying so hard not to eat anything wrong and all that stuff and now I find I have had a chemical designed to damage the nervous system and associated with birth defects in the flat.

itshappening Sun 12-Nov-17 21:22:24

Thanks for the advice re 101.

Do you think I should wash or chuck any of the clothes/ toiletries?

outputgap Sun 12-Nov-17 21:22:24

For example, I took big doses of vitamin D while pregnant - also used to kill rats. Likewise I inject blood thinners while pregnant - again a rat poison.

Both are fatal to small mammals but actually pretty useful to my babies!

What's good for killing insects will need to be applied to humans in ginormous quantities to do harm. And presumably it is designed to be used in clothes and carpets and furniture?

itshappening Sun 12-Nov-17 21:22:53

It wasn't in contact with my skin.

itshappening Sun 12-Nov-17 21:23:39

I really appreciate you all replying and trying to help me

Ermm Sun 12-Nov-17 21:24:45

"exposure" would mean literally having it sprayed on you. Nothing to worry about. But of course understandable - isn't there poisons information line or something??

Try REALLY hard not to keep googling.

Totally nothing to worry about.

itshappening Sun 12-Nov-17 21:26:45

No more googling for now, I promise

Ermm Sun 12-Nov-17 21:26:49

Id throw out clothes and toiletries that could possibly have come in contact. And the rest - approach it less as getting rid of the risk and more of what can i do so that I don't worry?
ie - if you're going to worry for the next 6 months - then chuck out.

xx

Ermm Sun 12-Nov-17 21:27:48

(i meant don't approach as getting rid of risk because if haven't been in contact with then i don't think there is a risk)

itshappening Sun 12-Nov-17 21:27:52

Then irony is I ordered this stuff to use in a previous property and didn't use it because my neighbout in the next door flat was pregnant! That's the only reason I still have it.

itshappening Sun 12-Nov-17 21:28:45

Thanks Ermm, do you mean had the liquid on them kind of contact or any that has settled from the air in the room?

theconstantinoplegardener Sun 12-Nov-17 21:29:02

You could wash the clothes that were stored there, just to be safe, and rinse toilet is such as bottles of shampoo before moving them to another room. How old is your flat? I'm just wondering about air flow. The concentration would be less in an old flat with draughty windows ( or if you open windows regularly) than a newer flat with very well insulated windows.

theconstantinoplegardener Sun 12-Nov-17 21:30:35

*toiletries

Ermm Sun 12-Nov-17 21:32:21

Had them on it kind of contact. If the insecticide is a liquid and was never sprayed I can't imagine it could have "got into the air" and settled?

But I really would suggest calling poisons advice and asking them - for your own peace of mind. And the manufacturer. Again, simply for your peace of mind.

Chanandler Sun 12-Nov-17 21:32:49

Urgh I did something very similar when pregnant with my second. Was borderline hysterical for a few days and she was absolutely fine. I feel for you but this wasn't major exposure and I promise you all will be well xx

Ermm Sun 12-Nov-17 21:35:00

"Don’t panic if you realize you have been exposed to a pesticide. Any real risk comes from long-term or intense exposure."

I did a quick google for you!

xx

itshappening Sun 12-Nov-17 21:35:14

It is old! Over 100 years and the windows do rattle a bit. Never thought I'd be pleased about that!
It had left damp area and tide marks over quite a large area of dust sheet abut that is in bin now. Don't know how long it had been leaking for.
The actual insecticides DP has bagged up securely and we have put them on landing outside front door, don't want to keep it in flat but I need to ring council to find out how to get rid. I don't want to put it outside where a person or animal could get it. No one in the other flats will touch it and there are no children or pets in the building.

Ermm Sun 12-Nov-17 21:36:13

"For humans, a pesticide exposure means getting pesticides in or on the body"

So that didn't happen!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now