Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

How to Stop Breastfeeding Toddler when Pregnant

(12 Posts)
user1474565301 Sun 12-Nov-17 20:21:46

I am 13 weeks pregnant with my second child. I'm still breastfeeding my 21 month old just first thing in the morning and last thing at night.
I have read that as the pregnancy progresses, my toddler may wean herself due to the taste of milk changing. If she does not, I'd like to stop anyway at around 4-5 months pregnant.
Does anyone have experience of doing this and if so, how did it go? Also, do I need to replace those milk feeds with a drink of milk from a cup or similar or just cut them out. My LO has plenty of yoghurt and cheese during the day.

Thecomfortador Sun 12-Nov-17 20:27:09

Can't help, but also in your position as 23 month old still asking for milk. Really hoping he self weans at some point as I haven't got the wherewithal to force him to stop at the moment (but also sick of sore books and the occasional bite).

Callamia Sun 12-Nov-17 20:35:58

I got my husband to take over bed time, and offered warm milk instead.

In the daytime, I offered something else, and tried to distract his attention. He actually stopped asking fairly quickly, and seemed happy enough with the alternatives. He did remain fairly breast obsessed in other ways - he liked to have his hand down my top for comfort, but that was far better than the nursing aversion I’d developed in pregnancy.

bakingmad83 Sun 12-Nov-17 20:37:06

My DS self-weaned at 31 months when I was 6 months pregnant. When I was initially pregnant, he was still feeding first and last thing, as well as several times a night and really wondered how I was going to get him weaned, as didn't fancy tandem feeding. However, at 4 months pregnant, he started dropping feeds himself naturally, not sure if due to taste change or that my milk was drying up. He was already having 2 or 3 cups of oat milk in the day (he's CMPA), as wasn't sure really how much milk he was taking at feeds, wasn't having any dairy and I'd used those to wean him off daytime feeds pre-pregnancy. So I didn't have to do anything, it just happened naturally. Hopefully you'll have similar experience smile

MadeForThis Sun 12-Nov-17 20:46:15

I was still bf my DD while pregnant. Really didn't want to tandem feed. She was 18 months old when I fell pregnant.

She fed constantly Day and night. I night weaned first. Took 2 weeks before she settled properly. We also co sleep.

After 2 weeks I simply went cold turkey on the day feeds. Fed her to sleep for a nap then decided that was the last time. Kept her busy and just told her boobies were all done if she asked. It went scarily well. I was 18 weeks pregnant at this point.

I wanted to bf the new baby but didn't want her to link her stopping with the new baby. At this point she rarely drank milk but loads of yogurt and cheese.

Now she is 26 months. Loves drinking milk. Never asks for boobies. I honestly never thought it would happen so easily. Now need to convince her to sleep in her own bed. I'm betting that won't be so simple.

chocolateshortcake Sun 12-Nov-17 21:00:58

My ds self weaned at 19 months when I was about 16/17 weeks pregnant. I had tonsillitis which probably helped but I told him that boobies are for babies and he is a big boy now. He calls my boobs "babies" now. Oops! I would have considered tandem feeding but I am expecting twins and can't comprehend feeding three!!
I have still never known him to drink any cows milk although nursery say that he drinks cows milk some days at nursery. We just make sure he has plenty of water, and cheese, yoghurt etc.
Good luck smile

curliegirlie Mon 13-Nov-17 08:33:51

I’m nearly 10 weeks and I think my 27 month old may be self weaning. I didn’t expect it to come so soon (but quite glad if she doesn’t associate it with the new baby). Yesterday she got really frustrated when trying to feed and was jiggling my boob around and biting before giving up, so I wonder if my supply has dropped or changed drastically. She’s ill at the moment so for the last couple of days until yesterday she was being a proper boob monster.

tamepanda Mon 13-Nov-17 09:12:27

I had DS 2 weeks ago and I’m still breastfeeding DD who’s 21 months. She didn’t self wean at any point during my pregnancy, although I’m certain my milk supply had dried up and she was just comfort sucking.

LorelaiVictoriaGilmore Mon 13-Nov-17 09:30:27

I stopped feeding ds when he was about 25 months and I was maybe 12 weeks pregnant.

We discussed how mummy milk is for babies and bottles are for boys for a while. Then we went to stay with my mum for four days and the different setting seemed to help. He was really distracted and took 'no' for an answer as long as he was offered a bottle. Once we got back home there was one tearful evening and one tearful morning but he got over it really quickly.

Ekphrasis Mon 13-Nov-17 16:23:45

I think the La Leche league have info on this - you could call them. I’m sure I saw a leaflet by them once, certainly articles on their website.

jellypi3 Mon 13-Nov-17 17:47:49

I tried and failed. My daughter was 16m when I fell pregnant. I'm now 31 weeks and she's still feeding but only at night and for nap times. My colostrum is in, but that's not put her off at all.

I'd say if you are desperate to stop, going cold turkey is the only certain way to do so. Don't assume your toddler will self wean, mine didn't.

MagicMoneyTree Mon 13-Nov-17 17:59:24

Slightly different as I stopped breastfeeding in order for my periods to return so we could ttc. DS (16mo) was feeding to sleep at night and although it was his only feed, he would sometimes suckle for over an hour, so I was really nervous about dropping it.

We switched to a bottle of cows milk at night (for some reason he’ll have water from a cup but not milk, so a bottle was the obvious choice) and DH took over bedtime. No dramas, it all went really smoothly. He still has the bottle and he’s 2 now but everyone is happy so we’ll stick with it.

Good luck - and congrats on the pregnancy! X

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: