Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone known of a false negative result on CVS?

(6 Posts)
Fluffydressinggowns Sun 12-Nov-17 18:51:54

I had heard that there is a small risk of a false negative for chromosome disorders if only the baby has affected cell lines and not the placenta, as placental DNA is tested. Same for the NIPT (Harmony) test.

Has anyone heard of this happening where CVS clear but baby did have a known chromosome disorder? It must be very rare as they refer to the test as definitive?

Thanks

JoJoSM2 Sun 12-Nov-17 19:08:15

The test is meant to be 98-99% accurate so that means there’s 1-2% of cases that don’t get detected. A NIPT called Panorama is very accurate so worth considering.

Tweennightmare Sun 12-Nov-17 19:21:28

I have had the opposite positive result for turners with CVS which turned out to be confined to the placenta. The baby was fine

Fluffydressinggowns Sun 12-Nov-17 19:32:42

JoJo, thanks - I think Panorama and Harmony NIPT are the same test, different brand names. It's still screening though so presumably less accurate than CVS which is considered diagnostic?

Glad your little one was ok Tweennightmare

Fluffydressinggowns Sun 12-Nov-17 19:34:39

I wondered if amnio is more accurate but apparently placental DNA can mix with fluid sample so I guess there is always same risk?

Our CVS was ok but after drs were so concerned about the nuchal I'm suddenly worried it was a false negative. Baby seems ok in there so far (touch wood) and normal measurements

Fluffydressinggowns Sun 12-Nov-17 19:52:15

Would like to add we wouldn't have amnio as well as don't want to risk it, just so worried since high NT that I can't relax and seems too good to be true that CVS results were clear

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now