Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Hyperemesis Gravidarum

(16 Posts)
MissNoble Sun 12-Nov-17 11:39:11

Hi everyone.
Pleased to be here smile
I found out I'm pregnant yesterday and told my mother and partner. I'm about 3 weeks pregnant,

I am happy but also scared as I was diagnosed with HG during my last pregnancy. I had a termination of that pregnancy due to being too young and not ready.
The sickness I had was terrible. I could not keep anything down. Not even water, I was so hungry and thirsty but too scared to eat or drink anything. After the termination I discovered my vision has worsened, I have to wear glasses now. And I also get very bad migraines which are treated daily with Topiramate. I took 3 weeks off of work because I couldn't stand without feeling nauseous.

7 years later I am pregnant again and want to keep my baby. However I am absolutely terrified of having HG again which I know is very likely. From being too ill to go to work, not earning enough to pay for me and my partner (we both have full time jobs but still struggle). To the pain and misery that comes from being sick constantly. Topiramate is harmful during pregnancy so I think the migraines will come with a vengeance.

I can't express how scared I am. If the HG was taken out of the equation I would be the happiest woman in the world. But this is like a dark cloud hanging over me. Because I know what's coming. I'm scared of the suffering; and being a strain on the people around me.

How are people coping with it? I think I need some reassurance.
Thank you 😊

Bluebirdsky Sun 12-Nov-17 11:47:11

I can't really comment on the HG I am afraid other than to say definitely go to the GP as they can prescribe anti sickness medication that might help.

As for the migraines 70% of women experience a reduction in migraine, or complete disappearance in pregnancy.

I haven't had one for over two weeks now, since I was 4 weeks that's the longest I have gone without one in my whole adult life!

Hope everything goes well and the HG is mild flowers

Shehz21 Sun 12-Nov-17 13:26:25

Congratulations OP on the pregnancyflowers
I am so bemused at your post as it could have been me who wrote that! I had to terminate my 1st pregnacy due to HG and no support at all about it. Not from family members,relatives,friends,GP etc.. nobody seemed to really understand what was wrong with me and termed it as normal morning sickness when it really was not! This time around though, thankfully a lot more information was out there regarding this condition and I got a good support system.
Come join us on the hyperemesis support thread!
I am currently 21+3 and have suffered from HG for a major part of this pregnancy. The hyperemesis thread on here has been an enormous help. Not only in terms of support to get through each day but lots of useful advice as well.
I would strongly suggest as of now to take preemptive measures in the form of medecines as of now itself before full fledge HG kicks in.
You need a trip to your GP asap.
Goodluck on this journey OP and hope to see u soon on the hyperemesis support thread.

MissNoble Mon 13-Nov-17 07:40:04

Thanks for your reply. Nice to know someone can empathise. Can you link me to the thread please? I'm still trying to navigate my way through this site.
Thanks 🙏

justtheonethen Mon 13-Nov-17 07:46:19

Here's the thread:

Hyperemesis Support
http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/pregnancy/3064721-Hyperemesis-Support

Those ladies have been the best support.

Get to the gp and get cyclizine and vitamin d. 50mg of cyclizine three times a day, 10mg of vitamin d four times a day.
There is really good evidence that if you take it before feeling sick you might avoid the worst of it and not need any stronger meds.

Congratulations! I thoroughly sympathise with how you feel. HG is dire.

DeadDoorpost Mon 13-Nov-17 08:10:19

Another one on the thread here! Feel free to moan as we're all in the same boat, even me at 39+1. I've been on meds since week 8 and should really have asked for meds sooner so definitely talk to your Dr!!! Don't make my mistake 😂

DeadDoorpost Mon 13-Nov-17 08:11:08

Have to say though that I'm one of the unlucky ones to have had it for so long but it runs in my family.

And congratulations!!

thingymaboob Mon 13-Nov-17 08:27:10

Another hyperemesis sufferer here. In my experience GPs won't do anything until you're at deaths door (maybe not even then) but you might be lucky and have one who is sympathetic. The pregnancy sickness support charity are excellent and can give you lots of advice. Good luck 😉

NerNerNerNerBATMAN Mon 13-Nov-17 09:40:33

Another one from the HG thread here. I had a different experience to thingymaboob in that as soon as I found out I was pregnant again I rang my GP and explained how ill I was last time. They prescribed my cyclazine before my symptoms started at around 5 weeks, which I was very grateful for!

Hope you get the support you need OP, HG is awful

thingymaboob Mon 13-Nov-17 15:14:12

@NerNerNerNerBATMAN I'm so pleased to hear that not everyone has had as bad experiences with GPs as I have had.

Astella22 Mon 13-Nov-17 17:40:55

There is hope OP, I had it during my first pregnancy 2 years ago and like you I’ve just been waiting for it to hit again. Last time it hit at 5+5, I’m 7+3 today and so far I haven’t gotten sick. I’m hoping with each day it stays away!

whatnowhuh Mon 13-Nov-17 18:10:26

Sorry to hear of your previous experience. Just wanted to say I suffered from HG in my last pregnancy, had to be hospitalised 5 times, put on a drip, anti sickness injections etc but in my current pregnancy I’ve only had what I would class as ‘normal’ morning sickness. The nausea has been constant, from 7ish weeks and although a bit better it’s still ongoing now at 15, but I’ve only been sick a handful of times. I too was worried about being the same as last time but it’s just been different for me - I don’t know why. Just wanted to offer you hope that it may not be as bad for you this time either, but i would echo what others have said about speaking to your GP asap and telling them how bad it was last time. Mine prescribed me meds but I haven’t needed them (tried them and it didn’t help the nausea).
Good luck!

Snipples Tue 14-Nov-17 15:07:34

I second what the others have said. Get yourself to the doctor and get the drugs. I’ve had HG since around 6 weeks. I’m 10 weeks now and I’ve been tested in hospital twice already due to severe vommiting and dehydration. It is hard but manageable with drugs. The issue I have now is exhaustion as the drugs are making me so drowsy.

MissNoble Tue 14-Nov-17 21:56:46

Thanks for your kind words everyone. I am trying to take your advice (stocked up on the vitamin D) but am having a total nightmare getting into a docs as I've just moved towns. I even told the receptionist that I'm pregnant and am desperate to see a doctor and was dismissed as having to wait like other people. My headaches are starting and knocking a lot of energy out of me, I feel like I'm struggling to get through the day.
Although it seems like I'm complaining it's just because I'm a little scared. I couldn't be happier that I'm going to have a baby with my partner. He's the most wonderful person I've ever met. He's worrying for me too.
I'm glad I can relate to some people on here and they know what it's like.

thingymaboob Tue 14-Nov-17 23:23:50

Isn't it actually vitamin B6? Not vitamin D...
We still need vitamin D daily but isn't it the b6 which is effective?

justtheonethen Wed 15-Nov-17 07:09:00

thingy yes, b6 and cyclizine/avomine for nausea and vit d just because!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now