Talk

Advanced search

Pregnant? See how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Pre-eclampsia worries

(11 Posts)
Fakingit36 Sat 11-Nov-17 21:48:39

I just found out I am pregnant with DC2. DC1 is coming up to 5 and we've had this long gap before trying again because of careers, a move and things like that. I am now 37. With DS, had an ok pregnancy until 35 weeks when I suddenly felt hugely water retentive. Turned out I had pre eclampsia and I was rushed to hospital where they did endless monitoring for 3 days and eventually induced since my BP was so high. Scary and long delivery and they told us to expect that he'd need to be rushed into the NICU. In the end, he was small (4.5lbs) but not minuscule, could breathe on his own and within 24 hours it was clear all was well. But yeah, for a pregnancy that everyone along the way was treating as "normal" it was a traumatic ending. So here I am with second pregnancy. My understanding is that my preeclampsia risk this time is higher than in others (bc I have the history) but not higher than last time . Maybe being 37 notches up the risk? My mother had it with me (first birth) but not my sibling afterwards. I am not overweight and my regular blood pressure is normal. I will talk to the OB when I go in but that is a 2 week wait and I just wonder if any of you guys have experience to share or reassurance? Pregnancy is an awful waiting game anyway but I have to say I think it's going to be worse with this worry about the later stages hanging over my head.

VivaLeBeaver Sat 11-Nov-17 21:51:55

At least this time you know so can have your bp monitored more frequently.

Your consultant will probably want you to take baby aspirin from twelve weeks which will reduce the risk of reoccurrence. They may also give you steroids for baby's lungs in case you have another early baby.

But it's more likely to be picked up earlier this time.....if it happens. More time to get you on meds and get the bp controlled.

NorthernLurker Sat 11-Nov-17 22:08:24

I'm assuming this is a pregnancy with the same father as before?

No personal experience of this but I agree forewarned is forearmed. I do know somebody who has had severe pre eclampsia in three pregnancies. The second and third was easier, despite the recurrence. She never got to 40 weeks with any of them but with careful monitoring and pro-active care she and her babies have made it through ok. It's a means to an end, try not to stress too much.

Fakingit36 Sat 11-Nov-17 22:15:13

Yes, same dad. Right - I had heard they think it's almost like an allergic reaction to the man's genetic material? So strange. Thank you both. You're of course right that more information is good and maybe they can do fancy telemonitoring of my BP with an app ?

VivaLeBeaver Sat 11-Nov-17 22:26:56

You can buy wrist style bp monitors. Not as accurate as the hospital ones but my brother has raised bp and was encouraged by his practice nurse to use one and it works well.

StAlphonzospancakebreakfast Sat 11-Nov-17 22:38:09

I had pre eclampsia with my first and not in my subsequent two pregnancies (same father), so there is hope! I took Asprin from 12 weeks. I also bought a bp machine as I now have terrible white coat syndrome, so every time I have my bp taken in hospital (particularly) it's high and takes a few readings to come down. Being able to take my own first reassured me that it wasn't a genuine high reading! Good luck, I know how anxiety provoking it is, particularly when you get to the stage that it developed before

PurplePoppies Sat 11-Nov-17 22:43:41

I had very severe pre eclampsia in first pregnancy. In 2nd (same dad) GP told me to take low dose asprin daily. I had a consultant from 12 weeks and towards the end had very regular growth scans to identify any concerns early. Pre eclampsia didn't come back and it ended up being a pretty normal pregnancy.

Fakingit36 Sat 11-Nov-17 23:08:26

Alfonzo and Poppies- thank you!! Let's hope my experience is like yours.

TeaPleaseBob Sun 12-Nov-17 11:05:53

Hi I’m 9 weeks pregnant with my second. I had pre eclampsia and HELLP syndrome with my first and was also induced at 35 weeks (my induction was ok and quick so don’t panic about induction if needs to happen again, it’s not always a horrible experience) my DD was fine at birth and good weight 6lbs10oz. She’s 4.5 now so similar age gap, mainly due to my worries about pre eclampsia.

At my booking appointment I was told will start aspirin at 12 weeks. I have a consultant appointment with my dating scan at 12 weeks so will find out more then but midwife explained I’ll have extra appointments/ BP checks later in pregnancy to keep eye on things. Think there will be extra scan to check placenta blood flow after 30 weeks too. I feel reassured that they’ll keep a close eye on me.

Robots1Humans0 Sun 12-Nov-17 15:22:30

My consultant at 6 week check said that risk was reduced if it was same dad ! They didn’t know why or how it worked , but I’m currently 30 weeks and still taking aspirin. Feel like I work really hard to keep myself calm before routine midwife appointments for a good bp reading ! Best of luck OP you will be well looked after xxx

Girlwiththearabstrap Sun 12-Nov-17 17:54:47

I'm 15 weeks with my second after delivering at 34 weeks with severe PE with my 3 year old.
I've been prescribed low dose aspirin until 33 weeks. I also have a consultant referral for growth scans every month after 20 weeks and will see the midwife regularly to have bp and urine checked. I'll be delivering in the labour ward too, although that could partly be down to the fact that I had a pph with my first too.

It's normal to worry. But you'll be closely monitored and the fact that it was late onset is also good news. Congratulations on your pregnancy!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: