Talk

Advanced search

Peau d’orange skin on both breasts. Cancer? :(

(41 Posts)
Snowdog37 Sat 11-Nov-17 16:17:20

Has anyone else had Peau d’orange (Orange peel) skin on their breasts during pregnancy? Over the last couple of weeks I’ve developed this on both breasts around the areola, extending 2-3” outwards. My breasts just feel super heavy and big. They weren’t small to start with! I made the mistake of googling and the first thing that came up is inflammatory breast cancer. I have an appointment first thing Monday as my dr feels this is as “emergent” situation where time is of the essence to investigate the cause. I’m 23 weeks pregnant and now freaking out! It’s hard not to. IBC has an appalling survival rate and although it might not be that, the fact it could be is hugely distressing.

Anatidae Sat 11-Nov-17 16:23:29

Bilateral IBC is very uncommon. So if it’s both breasts then I think that’s in your favour. You’re pregnant too and there are some conditions that can do that - cellulitis for example.

Your GP is absolutely doing the right thing by referring you quickly because of course they need to pin down what it is, but ibc in both breasts at once would be extremely unusual.

If it is cellulitis that can be serious as well as it can lead to serious infection so again, GP doing the right thing

Good luck, very stressful situation for you

onemoremummy Sat 11-Nov-17 16:25:59

As the PP said cancer on both breasts at the same time isn’t very likely, I imagine there is another reason for the orange skin appearance!

Snowdog37 Sat 11-Nov-17 16:50:38

Thanks for your reassuring replies 🙂 I’m trying not to stress but between the hormones (I just cried watching the John Lewis advert online ffs) and the fear of the unknown it’s tough to stay on an even keel. I guess it’s better that both breasts are involved, and I’m glad my dr is keen to figure this out ASAP. Fingers crossed it’s just something simple that’ll be solved with a course of antibiotics.

Anatidae Sat 11-Nov-17 19:19:51

It’s good you’ve got an astute GP - my money, were i a betting woman, would be on some kind of cellulitis.

And on that note, if you develop a high fever, chills, or any signs of a systemic infection, you need to seek medical help quickly.

Snowdog37 Tue 14-Nov-17 10:20:33

I’m being referred today for an emergency bilateral mammogram and ultrasound as the dr feels the skin changes warrent immediately investigation. And a biopsy on Friday too. I’m glad they are taking it seriously but I’m also scared for the same reason! It doesn’t help that I’ve now had a day and a half of no baby movements so I’m terribly stressed about that too. Praying both things turn out fine.

PotteringAlong Tue 14-Nov-17 10:22:22

Can you call your midwife about movements and get checked out?

Hippobottymus Tue 14-Nov-17 10:24:06

Just wanted to say I hope everything goes alright but definitely go to triage to get baby checked if you’re worried.

Anatidae Tue 14-Nov-17 10:25:07

Get the movements checked ASAP. Today.

This is going to be a stressful week for you - what real life support do you have?

Gentle handhold from me - will be thinking of you

AuntyElle Tue 14-Nov-17 10:25:49

Oh snowdog, how incredibly stressful. I'm so sorry. Have you got someone to go with you?
flowers

Mustang27 Tue 14-Nov-17 10:51:10

Iv just seen this thread but so glad you sought professional help. Regardless if it’s common any changes need to be looked at as soon as possible. Good luck with the tests today and Friday.

Get yourself to triage to get baby monitored too afterwards. They could be having a growth spurt or picking up on your stress levels but best to check. How far along are you?

Snowdog37 Tue 14-Nov-17 11:15:16

I’m 23w2d. Am about to have a quick shower then head to my local A and E for a check up. It’s the same hospital as my mammogram so I figured I’m right there I should get baby looked over. Ugh I HATE this stress. My husband has to take his daughter to school by 8 and then he will join me over at the hospital too.

octoberfarm Tue 14-Nov-17 11:18:12

So sorry you're going through this Snow. Good luck today flowers

thingymaboob Tue 14-Nov-17 11:19:33

@Snowdog37 if you're over 21 weeks or so A and E won't see you, it'll need to be the maternity unit.

daydreamnation Tue 14-Nov-17 11:19:45

Good luck today, sorry to hear everything is so stressful! flowers

Snowdog37 Tue 14-Nov-17 11:30:54

I’m in the USA we are seen in the ER (a a d e) for pregnancy emergencies thingamy.

thingymaboob Tue 14-Nov-17 11:46:01

Ah right, sorry!

thingymaboob Tue 14-Nov-17 11:46:30

Good luck! Wish you all the best

Rebeccaslicker Tue 14-Nov-17 12:21:56

Lots of luck OP. Try and remember that at 23 weeks the baby is so tiny it can still be hiding. I had phases of no movement at that stage. Try and remember too that about 90% of people referred for breast cancer don't have it.

Fingers tightly crossed for you on both!

WellThisIsShit Tue 14-Nov-17 12:26:36

Good luck, try to hang on until it’s all checked out...

glitterbiscuits Tue 14-Nov-17 12:42:00

Best of luck. Let us know how you get on

PotteringAlong Tue 14-Nov-17 14:48:01

All ok? flowers

Snowdog37 Tue 14-Nov-17 15:21:19

Thanks all for your messages.
I just got home. Longest 3 hours of my life.
The ER was excellent, the nurses took me right back and had me hooked up to the portable ultrasound within 10 minutes. All is well, the little monster was snuggled facing my spine all curled up with a strong heartbeat of 153. They said he’s probably going through a growth spurt as they tend to hibernate and grow. They had a labor and delivery nurse pop down to confirm all is well, too. From this weekend when I’m 24 weeks they said go straight to the birthing center with any problems at any time, even for a reassurance scan. Everyone was so nice and the outcome was positive so I basically cried for an hour.

The mammogram and breast ultrasound revealed fibrocystic breasts with bilateral thickening. So I’m to see a breast surgeon at a bigger hospital for a bilateral punch biopsy on Friday. The dr was very reassuring though and said in her 29 years of experience she’s never seen bilateral breast cancer. So she’s optimistic I just have an abnormal hormonal reaction to pregnancy. The biopsy will confirm that hopefully.

Thank you again for your lovely messages. I’ve been a hormonal mess for a few days but now I can have a cuppa and try to relax.

AuntyElle Tue 14-Nov-17 15:26:33

That does all sound very good flowers

PotteringAlong Tue 14-Nov-17 15:40:16

Good stuff flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now