Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Home alone and had a fall

(29 Posts)
NW10teacher Sat 11-Nov-17 15:17:18

I'm home alone (DH's last abroad work trip for a while) and about half an hour ago I had a bit of a slip on the little flight of stairs in our hallway. I'm 32 weeks with twins and I've been finding it a bit hard to get about - I just missed my footing and fell down the stairs (only 4). I fell onto my back and was completely winded, but now I'm just feeling bruised and shaken more than anything else.

My friend is coming round in about soon, and she thinks I should be seen to be on the safe side. I'm pretty sure that all is OK, but I wouldn't mind checking to make sure. Would this be nuts - waste of NHS resources etc.? I feel so bad about time-wasting sad

Thoughts?

gamerpigeon Sat 11-Nov-17 15:20:15

Get checked! It will be cheaper for the NHS to give you a scan and intervene at an early stage if that is necessary so don’t worry about that.

Hope everything is ok.

AnUtterIdiot Sat 11-Nov-17 15:20:47

I'm constantly frightened of falling too. Bloody extra heavy twins throwing out our centres of gravity. If you want to be seen, be seen. At least give your delivery suite a ring and see if they think you should be seen. I don't think it's silly at all.

DartmoorDoughnut Sat 11-Nov-17 15:21:11

Oh poor you sad I think your friend is right, def go get checked, you’ll only be worrying otherwise!

lal17 Sat 11-Nov-17 15:21:46

Poor you. I would go and get checked out - you might have to wait around but IME maternity unit always advise being overly cautious. You could give them a ring and see what they say? Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy.

AnUtterIdiot Sat 11-Nov-17 15:22:16

PS I am absolutely sure that you are fine btw. But the rule (in my paranoid head anyway) is that if you are seen you will be fine whereas if you decide not to be seen you will worry constantly about whether it will be fine or not until your next scan or MW appointment.

Expectingbsbunumber2 Sat 11-Nov-17 15:26:06

Go get checked!

BikeRunSki Sat 11-Nov-17 15:27:05

Get seen to put your mind at ease. No medicsl professional is going to think that a woman 32 weeks pg with twins, and concerned about her Health is wasting their time.

NW10teacher Sat 11-Nov-17 15:27:18

Typo, 33 weeks, sorry!

Weirdly, I hadn't been worried about falling at all (I suppose I've just arrogantly assumed that I won't!) and I think it was the shock that scared me as much as anything.

I think I've mainly bumped my back and elbow. So probably nothing to worry about, but my friend is offering to drive me and I might take her up on it...

bettydraper31 Sat 11-Nov-17 15:30:42

Definitely give them a call Hun. They won't think you're wasting their time xxx

SpuriouserAndSpuriouser Sat 11-Nov-17 15:32:43

What a horrible shock! Everything is probably fine but you should get checked out. It's absolutely not a waste of resources, no one will mind you going in and it's far better to be safe than sorry.

Will your friend be around with you for a while? These things can shake a person up, so look after yourself flowers

oldlaundbooth Sat 11-Nov-17 15:32:46

Get checked please.

Mumatoo Sat 11-Nov-17 15:33:32

Let your friend take you. They won't think you are wasting their time.

NW10teacher Sat 11-Nov-17 15:40:31

I think I'm going for the safety option. My friend has really sweetly offered to drive me and hang around - we were supposed to be watching a movie!

I do think I'm OK. Only my back is hurting and I feel a bit dizzy and tearful, but I think it's just the shock. I burst into tears like a total baby!

thingymaboob Sat 11-Nov-17 15:56:23

A waste of NHS resources? Are you kidding? You realise that people go to the emergency department for all sorts of minor ailments. You are in the third trimester with twins. No one will ever think you're wasting their time and who cares if one shitty midwife / nurse thinks you're being paranoid. I'd definitely be getting checked (I'm a paramedic)

MadameJosephine Sat 11-Nov-17 17:04:15

Midwife here. Totally agree with thingymaboob, completely appropriate to go in and get checked over

Hope you are already there and you babies are ok 💐

MadameJosephine Sat 11-Nov-17 17:04:46

*you and your babies are ok

ScotsLamb Sat 11-Nov-17 20:09:24

Hope you and the babies are ok. I fell down two steps when 16 weeks. I burst into tears too and felt all was wrong was sore hands and a bumped bum. Midwife still wanted to see me and check me over.
Better to be safe! 🤞🏻

Longleggedlovely Sat 11-Nov-17 20:23:05

I’m 25 weeks and full on face planted in the middle of a busy road earlier this week. Cars had to stop etc. I was fine, just grazed knees (and a bit embarrassed!) but was in floods of tears from the shock and the worry about my baby but lots of wriggling later everything was fine. Hope you’ve managed to get checked out and all is OK flowers

LillyLollyLandy Sat 11-Nov-17 21:03:54

I slipped and landed on my bottom when I was 38 weeks with one baby last year. I went down to the hospital the next day and I got such a telling off for not ringing at the time it happened (baby was fine!), so you’re doing exactly the right thing.

MyKingdomForBrie Sat 11-Nov-17 21:06:31

I went flat on my back at 36 weeks! Didn’t get checked as movements were fine and I just assumed I’d be ok blush but better safe than sorry.

GlitteryFluff Sat 11-Nov-17 21:17:20

Hope all is ok and you did go get checked out.

ScotsLamb Sun 12-Nov-17 08:10:19

@NW10teacher how are you today?

NW10teacher Sun 12-Nov-17 09:31:53

Thank you guys, I did go and get checked out and the babies are ok. Ended up there for ages because when we arrived, really embarrassingly, I started feeling sick and I was sick 7 or 8 times, so they checked out other things too. But everything was OK and this morning I feel fine (a bit stiff and bruised and tired, but otherwise ok) and babies' movements are fine, so I have no idea why that happened! MW thought it was maybe just the shock in the end.

GlitteryFluff Sun 12-Nov-17 12:01:27

I'm glad everything is ok flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now