Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Prepare me for a D&C on Friday.

(3 Posts)
Ilovechocolate111 Sat 11-Nov-17 13:23:49

My Baby has stopped growing at 6 weeks (suppose to be 10 1/2 weeks )and have opt for a d&c.
What should I expect.
Will I be in pain.
Can I eat and drink before the op.
Has anyone had one before and tell me their experience please. Many thanks. X

mindutopia Sat 11-Nov-17 13:43:05

I'm sorry you're going through this. I had one in April. Baby stopped growing at 5 weeks and I tried to wait it out, but had the d&c at 11 weeks as the mc didn't happen naturally. I think it was definitely the best possible option considering the circumstances and I'm glad I opted for that.

They should have given you pre-op instructions. I would follow those specifically as different hospitals will follow different protocols. For me, my surgical slot was like 1pm, so I could eat up until I think 8am and then have water I think until 2 hours before.

I found everyone to be really lovely and made it as positive as it could have been. I had a lot of trouble getting the canula in for the IV (took hours) just because I have weird veins (you shouldn't have this issue, it's just me). But it meant a wait outside the operating theatre for a bit and while I was there, a really lovely nurse came over to talk to me. She asked if I had any children at home and we talked about my daughter and her kids (she had two). Then she said, "I had to have two of these before I had my children, so I know what it's like. You'll be okay." It was really nice.

The operation itself was fine. They made it as stress-free as possible. I was out before they wheeled me in so I never saw any of it and I just woke up after. I didn't feel immediately sore, but definitely was the first couple days after. Definitely have someone come and stay with you and of course, drive you home. You will be in pain after. I took co-codamol about every 4 hours for 2 days. Then just some ibuprofen. Not everyone has much bleeding (some have very little), but I had pretty heavy bleeding for about 2 days, then light/spotting, and then on day 6 after I had an afternoon of really heavy bleeding and clots which was really painful. Most people don't have that though. But do take time off work after if you work and do make sure you have maternity pads and also just regular pads. Carry both with you in your bag until you know bleeding has definitely stopped. I would expect it to last about a week, but it might be less.

More than anything, just take care of yourself emotionally. I found it more difficult emotionally than physically. Take time off work, have someone to help you around the house, just take care of yourself for a bit. And when it's time, focus on what's next.

Ilovechocolate111 Sat 11-Nov-17 13:59:15

Thank you for your reply. With all 5 of my previous mc's i was in agony this is why I opt for the op plus it looks like mother nature isn't helping to remove anything. How long did it take you to recover fully x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now